RS-485 splicing

The Wago Lever Lock connectors are a good alternative to Dolphin and Scotchlock connectors, in my experience. I've also used them for line voltage connections.

mikefamig said:
Thanks,I wish I knew about that six months ago! Now the cable is too short or I would add that to the system.
Actually it's better off to be short. The Ditek gets installed as close as possible to the building ground and the cable on the protected side needs to be longer than the unprotected side or ground connection.

Change the LB to a 4X4 box or 6X6 box.

I usually use B-connectors properly installed....as good as a soldered connection.

DELInstallations said:
Actually it's better off to be short. The Ditek gets installed as close as possible to the building ground and the cable on the protected side needs to be longer than the unprotected side or ground connection.
Interesting about the protected side needing to be longer than outside and it's a deal breaker for me. What is the logic behind that?
DELInstallations said:
Change the LB to a 4X4 box or 6X6 box.

I usually use B-connectors properly installed....as good as a soldered connection.
I'll leave the LB unless I have trouble with it. AS you know, I have had trouble with crimping the B connectors with a plier. I didn't strip the wires though and will try that the next time.

Neurorad said:
Yeah, but you use a $250 crimper, for 'proper' installation. :p
I looked around Ebay for a tool but wasn't clear what the tool looks like. How do you identify it? Anyone recommend a good one?

Mike.

Dolphin makes this crimper for the B-connectors.  I think I recall DEL saying he used a different tool, however.

546436-2T.jpg

Smart man - there are limited use cases for Gel filled - but many of them will cause more problems than they'll solve.  A spool of ToughCable L2 will be more than adequate for most outdoor installs - burial or UV exposed.  Also the amount of in-building burial grade cable should be limited.  Here it's 50' max in commercial space but I can't guess at what it would be for residential.

Work2Play said:
Smart man - there are limited use cases for Gel filled - but many of them will cause more problems than they'll solve.  A spool of ToughCable L2 will be more than adequate for most outdoor installs - burial or UV exposed.  Also the amount of in-building burial grade cable should be limited.  Here it's 50' max in commercial space but I can't guess at what it would be for residential.
What kind of problems is teh gel filled cable known to cause? I couldn't see any downside to using it when I was choosing a cable to use and I tend to lean towards overkill when I'm installing something as permanent as that. I want the installation to outlive me.

Mike.

Also Gel in vertical runs will pool over time - so if one end is higher than the other it's been known to ooze out one end over time causing quite a mess and shorting out equipment.  It's also quite nasty to work with (that's why it's called Icky-Pick).  If you have to use it, you should come out into a surge suppressor that's grounded at the building entrance then switch to something cleaner for the interior of the building - I use PolyPhaser a lot for this transition.

If you have this inside of conduit - it's easy to pull a new one in 20 years if you needed to - more than likely because of changes in technology, not in the cable no longer working.  I try never to use the Gel Filled personally and I do a ton of outdoor wiring.

Work2Play said:
Also Gel in vertical runs will pool over time - so if one end is higher than the other it's been known to ooze out one end over time causing quite a mess and shorting out equipment.  It's also quite nasty to work with (that's why it's called Icky-Pick).  If you have to use it, you should come out into a surge suppressor that's grounded at the building entrance then switch to something cleaner for the interior of the building - I use PolyPhaser a lot for this transition.

If you have this inside of conduit - it's easy to pull a new one in 20 years if you needed to - more than likely because of changes in technology, not in the cable no longer working.  I try never to use the Gel Filled personally and I do a ton of outdoor wiring.
Well that horse is out of the barn, the gel filled cable is staying there until it fails. I just soldered the splice and may add a surge suppressor in the future. Can you show me a link to a polyphaser suppressor that works for this?

Mike.

In the instructions for the Elk-950 surge protector that the power terminals of the 950 could be used to protect an rs-485 data bus. Has anyone had any experience with this?

From the instructions:
NOTE:  The POWER terminals may alternately be used for surge protecting data transmission wires such as a
keypad or zone expansion bus, as long as any measurable voltage on the two data wires is less than 24 volts.
Connect the data wires to the IN and OUT terminals while observing polarity using the A & B markings.

This would be less expensive than some of the devices than I've found around the net.

Mike.

RAL said:
I think this is the type of Ditek surge protector that DEL is referring to.

http://www.ditekcorp.com/Docs/ProdGuides/LVLP%20Series%20Datasheet.pdf
RAL

From your link I learned that I need an LVLP type Ditek device which just means that it is a small gauge wire and low voltage device but how do I choose the proper voltage and data speed? Do I just choose a voltage slightly greater than the max that you expect the system to supply? The rs-485 has high speed data and also 12vdc power. Do I protect both data and power with the same device?

The fact that the ELK-950 12volt power surge protection can be used to protect the rs-485 data lines leads me to believe that the data and power supply can both be protected by the same device but I don't know how to choose the right one. I have also seen fused and unfused and don't know what that means. Is fused re-usable or re-settable?

I think that I am getting close to what I need here:
http://www.alliedelectronics.com/PDF/Power%20Protection/DTK%202LVLPSCPX.pdf

Mike.

Back