Russound vs. HTD

TrojanHorse said:
1.  The hub is a small board that can be mounted in a single gang box, although probably a deep one. It has 6 RJ45 jacks on one side for the keypads and has another single RJ45 on the other side that connects to the amp.  No configuration.  I can take a picture.
2.  I don't know exactly what's shared and what isn't.  But I know you would only need a single serial controller (e.g. global cache) to control the slave unit as those commands are sent to the slave (note you need to send a separate command for each amp).  I'm running two in a basic configuration.  

I'm not sure if mute all works on the line out.  I could set up a test at some point if that is a significant factor.  

Two more dumb questions (as I come closer to talking myself into ordering a Monoprice system)

1- What color are the numeric displays and button back lights on the keypads? Again no indication in the literature so don't know if I should expect blue, green, amber, or what?

2- Have you tried the Automatic Gain Control? Is it more of a limiter or does it act as a compressor to keep things level?

Also wondering if I need to use the serial port for anything besides connection to Homeseer? If not I can use hard wire and skip the serial to IP complexity!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    59.6 KB · Views: 14
Monk said:
Mike - found part of the answer regarding the ribbon cable over on AVS Forum. My read on it is that it does pass at least inputs through to the next amp.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/36-home-v-distribution/1506842-any-experience-monoprice-6-zone-home-audio-multizone-controller-13.html

Continuing to watch your quest - I may end up following your lead on which brand to get but one thing for sure - it will be informed!!

Thanks for the AVS Forum link. It answered some questions plus provided a video of active keypads so that question is resolved. I'm waiting for HTD to get back to me later this week on some questions I had for them but I would guess by Wednesday or so I will have ordered a Monoprice system.

Your schedule is well ahead of mine. Realistically - my purchase would be late September. So this is cool - maybe i'll live vicariously!
Great fun.

a8aff4bdf7c5f6e2624c889441efcbdb.jpg

Blue keypads

I just tested and couldn’t have two keypads control the same zone. The keypads froze. Perhaps you could splice them if you’re brave? I just plugged two in with the same address.

On the automatic gain control I don’t really know. When I looked, I realized slave amp was on and the main off. I couldn’t tell the difference. Set both to OFF now. Doubt that’s a setting transferred between amps... I don’t think it does much. I have enough volume diff on my sources that I expect to need Vol adjustment at times. Even my iTunes library which was supposed to be ripped and replayed at equal volume isn’t always. And some albums just seem softer than others regardless of playback. Same with radio stations here.

One thing to note on the keypads - they sit proud of the box and it’s tough to get the cover flush with the wall. On a few I’ve had to use the oscillating saw to cut back the screw holes on the box to get the keypad to sit back far enough for me aesthetically.

I’m happy with the monoprice but it’s my first foray into WHA and I use it only for audio at this point (except for a PA app I have on iOS so I can airplay my voice instructions to kids haha )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your picture brings up another question: Do the keypads fit into a standard Decora plate? Do they have the plate screw holes so I could use them with a multi-gang faceplate? (Using an appropriate High Voltage /Low Voltage isolated back box)

Also wondering if the PA and Mute triggers are shared across the ribbon cable with multiple units? Thought I read they were but now can't find it.

I'm needing to use the built-in amp of  the HTD/Monoprice - what rational for using additional amps? Local control perhaps - ? Just curious.

Monk said:
I'm needing to use the built-in amp of  the HTD/Monoprice - what rational for using additional amps? Local control perhaps - ? Just curious.

Yes the amps are auto turn-on, dual input models. A signal on either input wakes the amp up and channel one takes priority over channel two if there is a signal on both. I use them with local Amazon Echo Dots or Spots to create a high fidelity Echo without the limitations you get using an "Echo enabled" device like a Sonos speaker. The local Dot or Spot is connected back to the priority channel using baluns and Cat5 cable. The common program output from the zone controller goes into the lower priority second channel.

Typical use: I will have a Sonos Connect feeding the Zone controller which in turn feeds 6 rooms through their channel 2 input. Somebody walks into one of the rooms and asks Alexa what time it is. The amp in that room will switch to the higher priority input 1 and the reply will be heard through the rooms speakers without disrupting what is playing in the other 5 rooms. After about 5 seconds the amp will switch back to the lower priority channel 2 input and the common music will resume in that room. Works for phone calls via Alexa, announcements via Alexa, alternate music via Alexa, etc.

Zero learning curve for the family who are already comfortable using stand-alone Echos and are not interested is learning anything new. Plenty of opportunity for me to play around with common music, announcements, etc via a zone controller and input 2 on the amps.

This morning I am challenging myself as to whether i really need a matrix switch at all. The family only listens to music via the Amazon Echo so they don't need access to other sources. I would only use other sources when I'm setting up multi-room music for a party or something. I would generally do this from a central location where the source equipment is so no need for keypads in the individual rooms. Using an existing receiver and a couple of $100 line splitters it seems like I can do everything I need. The spliiters I'm looking at have separate volume controls for each output so I can turn rooms off simply by turning the volume all the way down so the output signal doesn't trigger the amp for that room. Here is my new design:

Attachments

• Audio Project rev4.jpg
    Audio Project rev4.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 23
Saving a bunch of money. But you no longer have HS control - or perhaps that was not in the picture. I need HS to control mine :)

Monk said:
Saving a bunch of money. But you no longer have HS control - or perhaps that was not in the picture. I need HS to control mine :)

I'm not sure what I would need Homeseer to control with regards to the amps since everything is rigged to come on itself when a signal is present. It is more likely I will want HS to control the music source which I can do with voice commands by having an Echo Dot close to a Homeseer speaker. Homeseer can be set to say "Alexa play my playlist party music on the downstairs group" for example. Probably simpler than dealing with serial commands.

`

Are you talking about walking into a closet and turning knobs? I thought that’s what we were all trying to avoid here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrojanHorse said:
Are you talking about walking into a closet and turning knobs? I thought that’s what we were all trying to avoid here Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The amps won't be in a closet but rather on the audio shelves in my office along with the source components. The local sources in the rooms are all Echos so no knobs or buttons there and I don't want to add any by putting keypads everywhere. The shared sources will be a combination of streamers and old fashioned fiddly components like turntables and tape decks. I wouldn't want those in a closet and if I have to manually work with them to load the media then i want all the other buttons and knobs I might need to configure right there as well. 

I don't expect anyone will want to access the shared components from within a room. The Echo is what they are used to and with the auto switching design it will just work without needing to turn on or adjust anything. Likewise if I want to play in multiple rooms I just start the source component and select the rooms (while I'm right there where all the equipment is) and the amps just auto switch to the shared source and play.

Back