Sage TV question

I also had Tivo long before the average guy ever heard ot it. I loved it. But then I decided to go into MCE2005 and it was pretty nice. Now I run SageTV and love it even more. Its a great solution for time slipping your favorite shows in SD or HD as well as play AVI in SD or HD and or rip the DVD to watch later. I never watch live TV and with Comskip for SageTV I don't even have to do the work skipping commercials.

The HD extenders are great also.

Right now I am running 4 tuners (a PVR-500MCE dual SD and a HDHomerun)

Whats not to like?

OK, you guys have me almost sold! Here's my problem... I love Tivo - I've had it since 2000 when it was brand new - I like the interface and the remotes, etc. It doesn't ever screw up or miss a show. I have DirecTV tivos now (plus I have the basic cable through Comcast because of the internet), and I have 2 identical ones - if the HD's on one start to go out, I switch to the other and fix the first - both are about 500 hours. Not to mention, I have 7 remotes between the 2 Tivo's - wife and I each get one, in the LR and the BR, and we have spares.

Previously though, I only had one TV. Now I have 2 regularly used TV's, plus a desire to have 2 more (Office and Workout Room). Currently both TV's are hooked to the same Tivo with an IR repeater on the bedroom one (causes problems if we're watching in both rooms - wife will often just switch to live comcast basic cable). And, I have almost 2TB in ripped DVD ISO's - plus I have a media PC in the livingroom hooked to the TV for watching streaming netflix or youtube - which has the monitor split and also runs a monitor on the end table in the livingroom with the ElkRM and the baby-cam. And, I'm getting the itch to go HD (I wouldn't do it with DirecTV until they get the tivo version in about a year, but don't want to wait that long). Of course, this is all topped by the fact that I'm kinda cheap when it comes to TV and don't want to spend a fortune on it.

I do like the idea of managing shows in one place - gaining another tuner, gaining HD, and gaining the ability to have a server-like setup where I can see the same thing in each room - pause in one and pick up in another, or watch different things in each room - all from the same pool of shows. Also, with HD space so cheap nowadays, it wouldn't be a big deal to throw a few terabytes into a machine and have all the space a person could want. I am afraid of losing my familiar interface though.

So, how do you guys have your systems set up? Every time I look on Sage's web-site, they're sold out of everything - are they that popular, or do they just not make much product? Or are you guys just using their software and not their hardware? And for your sage server - can that just be something like a PC with an HD capture device, a standard capture device, a camera capture device, a crap-load of storage space, and a video out to your TV? Or does it need to be broken out more? Can it do anything with multiple display cards? And - how are the remotes - is it just the hauppauge remotes typically, or do they have a good, standard one? And do they work well?

Not to hijack the thread, but this is something I keep hearing about and looking back at - I want a lot of the features - it'd consolidate a lot of what I have now (with the WHS, the media PC, the two dual-tuner tivo's) and give me multi-room, separate viewing over Cat5 - which I have a plethora of in this house... and it'd make my movies more available... but I'd need to get a crash course on how people are setting things up and getting the best results. Also, having my music more available might be nice - I have 120GB's of MP3's as well, and I love music (when the wife isn't home - she's not that into it)... so someday I'd like to incorporate things with a basic whole-house audio system as well - but a simplified one.

I can always pick up a machine and load it with space and capture cards if that's what makes sense. It'd all have to be in my family room entertainment center - since we don't have basements around here, and that's the hub of all my wiring... and I assume I'd drop back to basic non-DVR devices for my TV so the Sage hardware can handle the recording... but can you run multiple capture cards on a single PC simultaneously, or does it have to be broken up? And can I run one high-powered server as the capture and playback device in the LR, and just use an HD extender in the master BR, and a standard-def in the workout room? Possible skip an extender in the office and go with just the IP-accessible stuff from the PC in there - or run the software in there (I have an XP desktop I use with quad-monitors, and often just play my media on one of the four while I work.

I think it's a curse that I type fast... my posts are always long-winded...

Hi Todd,

I'm a SageTV Newbie, I've been using it for less than a year. I found out about it here, saw how many people were using it, and I wanted to look further. I realized how quickly Sage's High Def. Extenders sell out, so last time they had them in stock I picked one up, along with one of their Tuner/Software packages. I don't even have any high def. TV's yet, but I didn't want to waste money on an older media extender, as I'll be upgrading all my TV's soon.

Anyway, I have SageTV running on one machine. My one tuner is also in that machine. From what I understand, you can have multiple tuners in a single server, or even multiple machines with multiple tuners. Sage software will pick them all up somehow (may just need to install the software on multiple machines in you're going that route).

I also have my 123 GB of MP3's on a completely different machine. I share that drive to my SageTV machine and I can stream music to my extender.

SageTV also offers Placeshifter software. You can watch/stream TV from your Sage server to any computer by using Placeshifter. This is handy for watching TV in your office, or bedroom....no need to buy tons of extenders for rooms you rarely watch TV in....

The media extenders just use a network connection to connect to your server. They also have wireless extenders if you need to go that route. The HD media extenders have HDMI out, and that's why they sell like hot cakes. They're really worth the money. Also, from what I understand, the High Def. extenders offload the video processing from the server. So the extender does more work, not the server. Others can comment on this more.

You can mix and match extenders. Yes, you can run an HD one in your LR and regular in your MBR. Depending on the horsepower your server has, you can watch as many shows/movies/music as you have extenders. I read someone runs 4 of them at a time without problems.

You can even navigate directories within the Sage interface. For instance, if someone wanted to download torrents....they can navigate to their download directory and manually open up a video if desired. Because Sage is connected to the Internet, you can also view the weather right on your extender, YouTube, Google, and other vids right thru the built in interface. There's also a buncha mods that you can do to the interface to add more features.

I like how easy the software is to use. If auto detects your tuners, has tons of customization.

In regards to other setups, I've heard users putting all of their cable boxes in their wiring closets next to the server. They then run IR blasters from their tuner cards (in the server) to their cable boxes. Sage can then control the cable boxes and tune to whatever channel is needed, either for live viewing or recording shows. Sage is intelligent, it'll warn you if you try to change the channel and all of the tuners are busy recording. You can have a pool of tuners if you have more than one tuner. So if you're recording something, and then decide you want to watch something else, it'll just switch to an open tuner. Sage also warns you of any recording conflicts.

My wife hates electronics/remotes and she can manage Sage easily, she uses it all the time, and I never hear complaints. I need to get another extender for the MBR asap!

EDIT: I forgot to add, anything you can pretty much play on your server, can be played on the extender. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I can stream almost anything....I even had a DVD image (VOB files I think) on my server and Sage allowed me to play it as if it was an actual DVD. Navigate the DVD menus and everything!

hmmmm, I liked the 'Standby' button on the front of the extender, it came in handy sometimes. Too bad they removed that.

So, I picked up one of the HD receivers while it was out there - and got it today... I also played with the basic cable we have with comcast (no box, but we have basic w/the internet access) - just for fun, I let the TV run a channel scan - I usually cancelled it after the first 20 channels - I guess it scans Digital after analog... it found like 400 channels to the 32 analog ones. Many are like a really staticy picture, but all the important ones are there too (Fox, WGN, CBS, etc). Of the shows I'd like in HD, many of them are on these channels (24, CSI, Numbers, etc).

So - I'm really thinking the HDHomeRun seems like the way to go - probably start with one, and see how it goes simultaneously recording that and still getting the shows on my tivo 'till I buy in. The part I'm not excited about is using those separate boxes that control the satellite via an IR transmitter and re-encoding. Does anybody make something that can take a CableCard and capture the stream directly? I'd drop DirecTV in a heartbeat if I could do that. Otherwise I guess I need to activate another receiver - probably non-tivo, non-hd and run that into a tuner/capture card - I just don't like those types of solutions.

So - people mention they've streamed their ripped DVD's - is there an easy enough way to do this with .ISO dvd's? As I said, I have about 2TB. I haven't loaded SageTV yet because I'm thinking I shouldn't start the 15-day trial 'till I get the HDHomeRun in, so I apologize if these are basic questions... Also, ultimately I'm thinking I probably need to build a dedicated PC that can support a bunch of drives - is the dual-CPU thing really required? How much power would a PC need to support a few HD Extenders, record 4 things at once (2 through HDHomeRun, 2 through Satellite receivers), and still be the primary player for the livingroom?

And last one - I noticed the extender said it can't play encrypted DVD's - only non-encrypted ones. This isn't an issue for my ripped ones - but I'd kinda hoped I could incorporate a BluRay player into this - but I'm getting the impression that's just not doable? I haven't bought a dedicated bluray yet, but I have a bluray drive in the livingroom PC (btw, my mediapc is a corporate-type HP DC5300 - decent power, no-fluff video, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD). my DVD ISO's are on a 2TB USB external hard-drive, and my music, pictures and home videos are on the Windows Home Server if that helps any...

I don't know from ISO files, but I think I saw inthe sage forums about folks using those. You don't need much PC power to support the extenders or record, the player would be the big thing. You probably want a C2D just so the playback doesn't hose anything. Of course, I think you would be happier with an extender there too, and just get a cheap POS PC to do the SageTV recording & master server duties.

Narflex posted something about Bluray's, sounds like they're working on coming up with a sol'n.

The Blu-Ray comment has me very excited, and would be a huge win For SageTV if they can figure out basic disc playback. Internal Blu-Ray drives can be found for around $100 now!

And last one - I noticed the extender said it can't play encrypted DVD's - only non-encrypted ones. This isn't an issue for my ripped ones - but I'd kinda hoped I could incorporate a BluRay player into this - but I'm getting the impression that's just not doable? I haven't bought a dedicated bluray yet, but I have a bluray drive in the livingroom PC (btw, my mediapc is a corporate-type HP DC5300 - decent power, no-fluff video, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD). my DVD ISO's are on a 2TB USB external hard-drive, and my music, pictures and home videos are on the Windows Home Server if that helps any...

I'm not sure about the Blueray DVDs, but I know that if you run something like AnyDVD, it will strip out the protection and allow the DVDs to be played on the extender.

Nice - I'll have to look at that.

Interesting concept though - using an extender even in the LR and not using the PC - Makes some sense (assuming they ever come back in stock!) Otherwise I was gonna get a new video card that supported DVI or HDMI out for the flat panel. Also, I don't have any BD discs yet - just the internal drive, so I'll have to get ahold of one and check out playback to see if there's any implications.

Off to go look into AnyDVD

The anyDVD solution works....one of the key things this opens up is having you server runnign sage in a basement or wiring room and being able to pop in a DVD in another machine and play it via the extender (the SageTV server will read the DVD in the drive in another PC and the extender will show this).

I've tested this and will be using this since have a HP TouchSmart PC with DVD drive (not BlueRay) in the kitchen and my Sage server is in the basement. This means I can toss the standalone DVD player and any extender in the house will now play whats in the kitchen PC DVD drive. Kitchen is open to the family room so this all works well for me.

Setting it up was a bit of a hassle due to access rights issues between the server and the kitchen PC, just follow the manuals carefully and it works itself out.

You can try DVD43 which does the same as anyDVD but is free. In my case the HP Touchsmart runs Vista 64 bit which apparently DVD43 doesnt support so i had to buy AnyDVD

yeah - I've got solutions for ripping - but I'm more interested in that live option. Thx for the info... I think I'm going to start ordering parts to put this all together.

Back