Sage TV question

Until Sage can handle BluRay, i don't consider it an acceptable HD media extender. When they can, I'll be buying them, unless I've found another acceptable solution before then.

The issue as you describe is that there are no acceptable HD media extenders by your definition. Hence the options are:
1) Implement a suboptimal solution using $200 SageTV extenders (and a $300 BluRay player in each room that you want one)
2) Implement PCs at $500-$700/each and their higher power costs.

The equipment costs are roughly equivalent, so the tradeoff is power vs functionality.

My HTPC was drawing ~150Watts. My Media Extender is ~8W. My marginal power costs are about $0.30/Kwh. Hence, it's $30/month in electricity savings by moving to an extender.

The SageTV solution may not be perfect, but the benefit of an easy BluRay solution sure ain't worth $30/month to me.

Your value formula may be different, of course.

is there really no way to work around the lack of BluRay support by using AnyDVD HD? Does the Sage just not like the format of the files?

That was my intended path - to install the HD version of AnyDVD and see if I could stream BluRay that way... I'll have to play with that if I have time tonight... the PC is almost together (with a temporary HD) -

My biggest problem now is that 11 ports aren't enough for the network! Looks like I'll just pick up a 24-port and be done with it...

New to SageTV...in fact haven't purchased one yet...but definitely will after reading this forum. One question. If I want to have one show in one room running and another show running in a different room do I need 2 cable tuners hooked up to the dual tuner card or can I split off the output of my single cable box to both tuners and they can tune different shows?

New to SageTV...in fact haven't purchased one yet...but definitely will after reading this forum. One question. If I want to have one show in one room running and another show running in a different room do I need 2 cable tuners hooked up to the dual tuner card or can I split off the output of my single cable box to both tuners and they can tune different shows?

you only need 2 tuners if you are trying to watch 2 stations that can only be viewed with the tuner. If you are watching a SD analog channel on one of the 2 tv's you **could** get away without the 2nd tuner. but you would need to split the cable before the tuner. If you want to watch 2 digital programs which need the tuner to view you would need 2 tuners, your tuner will only pass the signal out for the channel it is presently on.

Don't confuse watching live TV with watching pre-recorded shows. Your tuner can only record one at a time, but you will quickly accumulate a backlog of shows to watch.

For me, after a few months of using SageTV, i stopped watching live TV. After another few months, I found myself with a backlog of things to watch.

At this point after 5.5 years of using it, me/wife/kids now have 44 favorites. I have so many backed up shows that DirecTV could go out for days/weeks, and I wouldn't notice. Well, except for Heroes/Stargate, I tend to watch those relatively soon after broadcast date.

Thanks IVB and mustang...this is exactly why I come here. IVB...so can multiple TVs watch different recordings of what you have stored. So if I want to watch recorded heroes and the wife wants to watch recorded HGTV in the bedroom there won't be any problems?

thanks again everyone

Keep in mind there are several parts to a Sage system. First you have the tuner(s). You need 1 tuner for every concurrent TV show that you want to record at the same time. There are obviously different types of tuners as well (analog, digital, QAM, ATSC, NTSC, etc) and it is important to match the type of tuner to the type of broadcast source you have.

Secondly, there are playback devices. You need one playback device for each concurrent stream you want to watch at the same time. So yes it is very possible to watch several different things on different TVs at the same time, but it will require multiple playback devices. There are many types of playback devices that work with Sage as well. First and most obvious is the use of a computer. The initial SageTV server license will allow you to watch material via the computer that the server is loaded on to. So you could hook that computer up to a TV and watch it that way, or watch it directly on the computer screen instead. There are also addition SageTV Client licenses you can buy that allow you to watch Sage material on other computers across your network. They run about $30 each and you would need 1 license for each addtional computer you wish to use. Both of these choices require the use of a computer to view the Sage material.

However, Sage also makes hardware based extenders. These are self contained units that you hook up to the network and a display, and they allow you to watch Sage material on that local display (without the need to use a computer to view the material). There are two basic types of extenders - the MVP which is a SD only extender, and the HD-100 and newer HD-200 which are HD extenders (they can also output SD signals if needed). I would recommend looking at the extenders as the playback method because they are much more stable and generally work out of the box. Using a computer to view the Sage material is more problem prone because of all the variables that exist in most people's computer system (ie no two are exactly alike and it may take a lot of tweaking to get everything working correctly - especially the HD material).

Sage also sells a placeshifter license which allows you to stream Saqe material over the internet to be viewed on a computer. This gives you similar function to the Slingbox devices. So if you travel a lot and want to watch you Sage material from the road, you can use the placeshifter to do that. On a side note, the HD extenders also have this ability to connect to a Sage server over the internet, so you could also travel with the HD extender and do the same thing. The advantange to that is it doesn't require an additional license to work.

At this point after 5.5 years of using it, me/wife/kids now have 44 favorites. I have so many backed up shows that DirecTV could go out for days/weeks, and I wouldn't notice. Well, except for Heroes/Stargate, I tend to watch those relatively soon after broadcast date.

I guess I'm the favorites monger with 181, but I just cleaned out probbly 50 last week. :D

The main points to bliss IMHO are:

# tuners => # of shows on at the same time
Comskip or ShowAnalizer
Spend much time setting up your filtering (Malore Recordings style)
Spend much time setting up and configuring favorites.

Note you can set a favorite to keep only 5 shows, I do that for most every first run show now. If I like it I might increase the number to 10-15, if I don't I simply remove the favorite.

Also buried in the menus is Series Premiers and Specials which extracts what you would expect from the program guide, use this to build your favorites.

Simularly there is Upcoming Movies which does the same for movies.

Try to limit watching live TV if at all possible.

Stick with the extenders;they totally rock. They can also playback DVDs that you have ripped to the hard-disk, now I have a single UI and no video switching needed for liveTV/recordedTV/ripped DVDs. SageTV is also working on how to do ripped BluRay, but they haven't cracked that nut yet. That's currently the last remaining video stream that you'd need an alternate playback device.

Of course, to watch physical DVDs requires either ripping them or putting it into the server, which can then do the playback. Not that big a deal, only takes maybe 15mins end-end to rip a DVD.

As a stopgap measure you can also use standalone BluRay player connected to an HDPVR and map that as a channel in your guide. Kinda expensive and not as cool and is more likelly to get stuck by the analog hole (don't get a Sony brand BluRay player for sure!) but workable in the meantime.

The problems with BluRay are the navigation, unlike DVDs BluRay is a java machine on the disk. It may well wind up bring easier to make a SageTV BluRay disk that makes any BluRay player a hardware extender. This has been demonstrated on a Pioneer Elite player however the details kept secret. :D

What does everyone use to record HD shows? the Hauppage HDPVR? On Sage's forums, there's quite a few people with issues of this freezing and needing to be reset every so often. Any other solutions?

What would be nice is if someone could do a webinar just on SageTV complete with diagrams and additional information and record it like IVB has done for CQC. It seems like there is a lot to a SageTV system.

From what I gathered I would need:

1) PC
2) Storage Device (Terabyte or more?)
3) Video Input Card (Haupage?)
4) SageTV Software
5) SageTV Extenders
6) Home Network to tie it all together

Are you guys using stand alone Storage Devices or PCs with RAID? What do you recommend? Are you using a dedicated PC for recording?

HDPVR is the only HD recording solution so far.

There is also the R5000-HD mod and FTA satellite tuner cards. The sat card I have isn't directly supported by Sage so I'm using DVBDream and a network encoder plugin for it with Sage.

Back