Securing outside A/C unit

A while ago my house was broken in to. Yesterday I was walking around the property and I noticed that my A/C compressor is gone. Upon closer inspection it looks like they had bolt cutters to cut the electric and copper tube. I didn't notice it before because it's tucked under a porch, and there was a couple feet of snow.

So now, after I replace it, how can I protect the new unit? A camera and a motion detector are what I thought of first, but I am also interested in securing the unit to its concrete pad. Anyone have any ideas? How do I defend against bolt cutters?

I thought there was a thread about this before, but I can't seem to find it.

Matt
A cheap camera mounted just above the unit should be deterrent enough. Plus you will have video evidence if they do not see the camera.

If they see the camera, they will probably just steal that. It probably is worth more than the copper. ;)

Then set up a camera to monitor that first camera :)

Actually I saw a thread somewhere on here where someone said they have their cameras set up so one is always watching another. I thought that was a good idea and have been trying to figure out camera locations so I can do that. I wasn't planning to put any cameras where the AC unit is, but now I guess I'll need 2 additional cameras. ;)

Matt

I don't hink I was compleatly clear run a low voltage switch through the back of the can where it is on the wall and rig it so it triggers when the cover to the disconnect is lifted, not when the disconnect is taken out. You can make it it's own zone or a rule depending on the system so it is alwas on. Heck put a siren under the deck next to it so they jump and hit there head they will run fast when they can't here anything.

To bad you can't trigger a can of mace so they can't drive. Oh yea then when it goes off trigger the driveway spikes so they get a flat on the way out.

What about those laser sensors that garage doors use? With serveral of those (or one with some careful mirror placement) would let you know if someone even got close to it. If the signal is ever broken an alarm goes off -- no need to wait for someone to cut something.

Another option is maybe to put a GPS locator inside the unit -- if they actuall got it stolen you could track it down!

But I digress - I'm a noob [when] it comes to this stuff.

I don't hink I was compleatly clear run a low voltage switch through the back of the can where it is on the wall and rig it so it triggers when the cover to the disconnect is lifted, not when the disconnect is taken out. You can make it it's own zone or a rule depending on the system so it is alwas on. Heck put a siren under the deck next to it so they jump and hit there head they will run fast when they can't here anything.

To bad you can't trigger a can of mace so they can't drive. Oh yea then when it goes off trigger the driveway spikes so they get a flat on the way out.

I think I will put a siren right there. I'll have to see if the Elk allows multiple sirens. Mace and driveway spikes? Fantastic!

I see what you are describing for alarming the cutoff box. Yet another good idea.

Matt

What about those laser sensors that garage doors use? With serveral of those (or one with some careful mirror placement) would let you know if someone even got close to it. If the signal is ever broken an alarm goes off -- no need to wait for someone to cut something.

Another option is maybe to put a GPS locator inside the unit -- if they actuall got it stolen you could track it down!

But I digress - I'm a noob with it comes to this stuff.

A GPS locator would be great. Not sure how I would implement it, but it sounds good!

Matt

Sometimes simple may be the best answer. About 20 years ago in college we had a problem in that anyone could come in to our dorm floor and steal the Color TV in the lounge. I went to Radio Shack, got a 120V relay, a metal box, 9V battery and Sonalert sounder, and build a device so that when the TV was unpluged, the relay would drop and the Sonalert would do off. I think I also had a push button you had to press to reset it, so if you plugged it back in, it would still sound.

Sure enough, a few months later, in the middle of the night, the thing starts going off. Someone was attempting to steal the TV. I'm not sure if we ever caught them, but I remember, they never did take the TV. You could build something very similar and mount it underneath.

I got several estimates, and I have pretty much decided on a dual fuel heat pump with my oil furnace as the heat source when the temp outside falls below 35 degrees. My brother has the same setup and he's very happy with it. I asked about securing the unit when I got the estimate, and they were very (extremely) confused about what to do. They finally decided they could drill holes in the base of the unit and bolt it to the existing concrete pad, but it took a lot of hmmmmmm... uhhhhh... before they came to that conclusion. So I said "That's what I want, make it happen". Now I just need to make myself commit to the $6000 price.

Matt

Back