Serial expansion on older OmniPro II - Need 4th serial port

jay01

Hello, quick question here. I need to add a 4th serial port to an older OPII board that only has 3 serial ports on the board. I have a 10A17-1 serial expander laying around. Can I use this to connect a Vizia RF+ controller? The instructions make it sound like it's for PC access only. 

My existing 3 serial ports are in use by Russound, UPB, and Notifier board. Trying to make this work without having to upgrade to a newer controller board. 

Thanks,
Jason

I'm in a similar situation, I have an older OP2 with 3 serial ports, and need to add one port, although I'd prefer to add 2. I contacted HAI, but unsurprisingly they said there was no upgrade program.

I know I can add two 10A17s, but I can't help noticing the pads for the two extra serial ports on the OP2 circuit board just sitting there. Has anyone tried obtaining surface mount parts and soldering them onto the OP2?

If not, does anyone have or can anyone take a high resolution picture of the serial ports and surface mounts right beside the ports on their newer OP2 (with 5 serial ports). It looks like I would also have to add resistors and other things which I haven't identified. Does anyone have the ability to identify surface mounts?

Back