Simply Automated Switches vs. Leviton UPB

I also read that a zwave wall controller will turn on a light correctly but not update the HAI panel via it's pim because it's a wireless command between the wall controller and the device and therefore the panel does not get a status update as a result. Any truth to that one?

rhombixt said:
Question - I am in the process of picking a technology to replace my x10 / smarthome pro keypad linc controllers and can you use a 35A00-1 or a CFL version as a fan speed controller? I see that SA makes one, but if I use the HLC setup I might not be able to use it properly. I have one fireplace fan and one ceiling fan I would like to control the speed on.
I'm not sure what a fireplace fan is, but for ceiling fans NEVER use a light dimmer, ONLY use a switch made to control a ceiling fan, which is unfortunately ONLY the SA 3-speed fan controller. And if you get that fan controller, make sure you ONLY use the newest version which was released maybe 2 months ago.

Now some bad news. Even the new version of this SA Fan controller switch is not great.  You can't get the status of the switch as you can with most switches, but you can write a bit of programming to have it work with HLC.  HLC CAN control the fan switch switch indirectly, but you can't read the status of it. And note, the SA switch also can NOT reverse the fan.

A second option would be to use a Leviton UPB relay switch to turn your fan on and off, then manually control the speed with the remote or manual controls.

I use HLC and have all Leviton switches EXCEPT for this SA fan controller in my master bedroom.  I needed the speed control because the fan goes higher and lower based on room temps.

Back