Simply Automated UPB

I have a few of the US2-40's in place and they work fine with the HAI phase repeater in place. (phase couplers are OFF).  That is my set up though.  I wonder some times if its related to the other UPB controllers online.

IE: Good signals on both phases wherever my PIM is.

Curiosity question....here I use the OPII panel for control of the scheduling and whatever events connected to the HAI OPII PIM and automation software which talks to another UPB PIM and the HAI OPII panel. (talking UPB directly and UPB indirectly via OPII).

When you mention software are you writing about just Upstart or some automation software that you utilize to talk to the UPB PIM?

BTW the newest updated PCS Upstart will work with any UPB controller.  Register first on PCS here (its free).

PCS

Then login and download Upstart.

pcs-1.jpg

I THINK if the SA PIM is version 4 or below, then that likely doesn't support repeaters.

As for switches, its a tricky answer. Simply Automated switches are all Gen. 1 and most of early Gen. 1 DIDN'T support repeaters. Other companies make Gen. 2 and Gen 3 which do support repeaters. Simply Automated has told me that their current switches do support repeaters, but I don't know how to tell from just looking at them, and from my experience some newer ones don't.  I'm not sure if I just got old stock. I bought a NEW SA ceiling fan controller with a red/green LED that doesn't seem to support repeaters, and this type switch is pretty recent. 

I should also explain a bit what "supports repeaters" really means. Even the oldest Gen 1 stuff can use repeaters from the PIM to device or device to the PIM.  Where the problem is, is on the return path.  A PIM should be able to turn on a light through a repeater fine, but UPStart won't be able to program the switch.  Its a subtle (and frustrating) difference. 

The oldest SA stuff did not support repeaters. At some point SA made a change and it appears they are supported, but SA has never been a fan of repeaters, and they usually don't think there is a reason for one. I disagree.

Have you tried reseting you SAI PIM to factory defaults?  While admittedly the SAI PIM works on one phase, maybe it doesn't have "enough" to cross phases.  With a toothpick, press the resent button five times quickly until the LED blinks green, then press 10 times quickly until LED blinks red, then press one more time.

Also, and I don't know if you can do this with the HAI PIM or Omnipro (since I have an Elk running on an SAI PIM), can you try swaping them out and running Upstart off the HAI PIM and Omnipro off the SA PIM (with appropriate com port changes)? 

Just a coiuple of ideas....

I will also throw in the mix that it does not have to be something you changed.  I have heard of scenarios where people have had issues in their system from an outside source (neighbors, etc...).  Either using UPB themselves or putting something on the line affecting you.

Make sure to check anything you may have added...its the holidays and people forget all the additional fans, lighting etc can effect signals in rare cases.  Wife got a new hairdryer?

If all else fails...unplug everything and build back up until you find the issue.  never heard of someone having to do that...but there is your "worse case".

Back