Haiku Space Questions/Troubleshooting/etc

I really like these iBeacons by RAD Beacon. They allow you to change the UUID and adjust the output power via a iPhone application. The do not use batteries, and can be plugged into a wall wart behind furniture in a room. It's important to be able to adjust the power to minimize the RF footprint between areas. 

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:812]

http://store.radiusnetworks.com/collections/all/products/radbeacon-usb-2

I bought 10 of them and they all arrived with the same UUID. For my application I just changed the last digit for each individual room, but I believe I could have left them the same and just changed the Minor or Major. 

I may need to experiment with this and see if I should leave the UUID all the same and only change the minor - as this may conserve iPhone battery power.

- Jim

I have been testing your new SPACE app which looks great. I have a HiFi2 attached to my Omnipro with 5 zones and 8 sources set up, and it has worked great and reliably with Haiku for years.  When I try to change my source by tapping the name of the current displayed source the SPACE app quits. Just wanted to let you know.

And a few more :)

- Can you change the colour of the 'Access Control' icons to show the status as in Haiku. e.g red for locked and green for unlocked. Currently there orange for both states.

- As per Haiku, my Temperature sensors show on the Security Screen which is a bit annoying as there not security zones and don't show any info. Can you either only show zone types that are security and/or add an option to remove unwanted zones.

- Allow flags to display and change their value and add timer function as in Haiku.

- Add an option to remove or hide unwanted icons on both the desktop and all screens. e.g I would like to be able to remove/hide some flags and would also solve my Temp sensors showing on the security screen.
R
- Add a Favourites screen.

Thanks

jlipsit said:
I really like these iBeacons by RAD Beacon. They allow you to change the UUID and adjust the output power via a iPhone application. The do not use batteries, and can be plugged into a wall wart behind furniture in a room. It's important to be able to adjust the power to minimize the RF footprint between areas. 

http://store.radiusnetworks.com/collections/all/products/radbeacon-usb-2

I bought 10 of them and they all arrived with the same UUID. For my application I just changed the last digit for each individual room, but I believe I could have left them the same and just changed the Minor or Major. 

I may need to experiment with this and see if I should leave the UUID all the same and only change the minor - as this may conserve iPhone battery power.

- Jim
We've identified an issue that makes the Major/Minor settings not work. It has been fixed in 1.01.

Path3808 said:
I have been testing your new SPACE app which looks great. I have a HiFi2 attached to my Omnipro with 5 zones and 8 sources set up, and it has worked great and reliably with Haiku for years.  When I try to change my source by tapping the name of the current displayed source the SPACE app quits. Just wanted to let you know.
This will be fixed in 1.01.

Bushy said:
- Can you change the colour of the 'Access Control' icons to show the status as in Haiku. e.g red for locked and green for unlocked. Currently there orange for both states.
Both statuses should not be orange, we will look into this.
- As per Haiku, my Temperature sensors show on the Security Screen which is a bit annoying as there not security zones and don't show any info. Can you either only show zone types that are security and/or add an option to remove unwanted zones.
You can hide items by removing the short name in PC Access, uploading the names to the controller and then refreshing the configuration in Space (using the top right action menu on the home screen).
- Allow flags to display and change their value and add timer function as in Haiku.
You can view and control flags from the control section (swipe left on the home screen and tap the light bulb, then tap Flags). The only thing that isn't currently possible with Flags is adjusting the number value.
- Add an option to remove or hide unwanted icons on both the desktop and all screens. e.g I would like to be able to remove/hide some flags and would also solve my Temp sensors showing on the security screen.
R
Any item can be hidden by not setting a short name for that item in PC access.
- Add a Favourites screen.
We are investigating how to add such functionality. Thanks for your feedback!

The new app looks great. 

I like the cleaner interface.

A few thoughts/suggestions after my first couple of hours using the app on our wall and on our iPhones at home to control our own system:

SECURITY
  1. ARMING: Given that the partitions and security devices are all located on the same page and look identical (other than the icons), it's not immediately clear to a new user what to do to arm the system. Tapping on one of the partitions brings up the current status (ie. AWAY), but it's not immediately clear or intuitive for a new user on what to do next (ie. that you need to tap on the blue AWAY to bring up the status change menu). In contrast, when tapping on a lock, the app shows the current status (ie. LOCKED) and the blue options at the bottom are clear (either UNLOCK or TIMER). It would be great to have similar functionality in the Arm/Disarm... seeing the current state twice is redundant. 
  2. ICON COLOURS: On the same main security screen, where all locks, partitions and devices are listed... I would suggest that using Green to indicate 'READY' for partitions and Red for 'ARMED'. Likewise for the locks, Green for UNLOCKED, Red for LOCKED. Right now both statuses are orange. For zones/devices I can see that Red is being used for zones that are 'Not Ready'... to keep things consistent for an average, non-tech user, I'd suggest that orange/amber is the right colour for that.
  3. ICON IMAGES: It would be great to have more icons so that specific device types can be identified (ie. motion detector vs. glassbreak vs. flood vs. door vs. window)... it would be even better to be able to upload custom icons. 
  4. SIMPLE ARMING: Further to point #1 above, it would be nice if holding down the security icon on the main home page brought up simple Arming shortcut.
CAMERAS
  1. PHANTOM DELETIONS: When adding cameras into the app, it crashed a couple times (both iPhone and iPad). Also, on a couple iPads cameras that had been working suddenly stopped. When I went into the edit screen to see why, all of the data I had entered was gone (only the camera name remained). I had both Axis and VideoIQ domes working before (and again now).
  2. ROOMS or SHORTCUTS?: Any chance that individual cameras could be attached to a room... or some other way to access buttons from the camera page (ie. if I want to be able to see that the garage door has indeed closed after I press the 'Close Garage Door' button without having to navigate to a different page. Similar to my suggestion about the arming shortcut from the main page, it would be cool to be able to access specific button shortcuts from a specific camera view.
Overall it looks great.

Thanks

hamilton said:
ARMING: Given that the partitions and security devices are all located on the same page and look identical (other than the icons), it's not immediately clear to a new user what to do to arm the system. Tapping on one of the partitions brings up the current status (ie. AWAY), but it's not immediately clear or intuitive for a new user on what to do next (ie. that you need to tap on the blue AWAY to bring up the status change menu). In contrast, when tapping on a lock, the app shows the current status (ie. LOCKED) and the blue options at the bottom are clear (either UNLOCK or TIMER). It would be great to have similar functionality in the Arm/Disarm... seeing the current state twice is redundant.
This is a good point, we will revise this.
ICON COLOURS: On the same main security screen, where all locks, partitions and devices are listed... I would suggest that using Green to indicate 'READY' for partitions and Red for 'ARMED'. Likewise for the locks, Green for UNLOCKED, Red for LOCKED. Right now both statuses are orange. For zones/devices I can see that Red is being used for zones that are 'Not Ready'... to keep things consistent for an average, non-tech user, I'd suggest that orange/amber is the right colour for that.
The lock status colors have been fixed in 1.01. This was a bug. We will be reviewing the colors/tweaking in the coming updates to make things clearer and more accessible.
ICON IMAGES: It would be great to have more icons so that specific device types can be identified (ie. motion detector vs. glassbreak vs. flood vs. door vs. window)... it would be even better to be able to upload custom icons.
We will be adding more icons and possibly the ability to assign custom icons soon.
SIMPLE ARMING: Further to point #1 above, it would be nice if holding down the security icon on the main home page brought up simple Arming shortcut.
Working on similar functionality as well (arming from home screen).
PHANTOM DELETIONS: When adding cameras into the app, it crashed a couple times (both iPhone and iPad). Also, on a couple iPads cameras that had been working suddenly stopped. When I went into the edit screen to see why, all of the data I had entered was gone (only the camera name remained). I had both Axis and VideoIQ domes working before (and again now).
I believe the camera editing crash issue has been resolved in 1.01.
ROOMS or SHORTCUTS?: Any chance that individual cameras could be attached to a room... or some other way to access buttons from the camera page (ie. if I want to be able to see that the garage door has indeed closed after I press the 'Close Garage Door' button without having to navigate to a different page. Similar to my suggestion about the arming shortcut from the main page, it would be cool to be able to access specific button shortcuts from a specific camera view.
You can add cameras to rooms, but it has to be done via the controller's extended setup. You add the camera entery into a room and it will appear and be viewable in the same room in Space. We're looking at adding support for buttons on the camera viewer, this is a commonly requested feature.

Thank you for all of your feedback!

thanks. 

I just updated the app but am experiencing the same audio source issue previously reported by Path3808. I have an AppleTV playing now, but when I attempt to change the source (or even look at what sources are available), the app crashes.

hamilton said:
thanks. 

I just updated the app but am experiencing the same audio source issue previously reported by Path3808. I have an AppleTV playing now, but when I attempt to change the source (or even look at what sources are available), the app crashes.
Can you verify on the About screen (home screen > top right button > About) that you have 1.01 installed?

Firstly, thanks for the quick release of 1.01. Fixed most issues I had and some feedback below.

Q) Can't find 'All ON/OFF' function for units. Its under the lighting section (swipe left on the home page) and you will find it in the top right menu.
Found it on the 'Rooms' screen instead?

Q)  As per Haiku, my Temperature sensors show on the Security Screen which is a bit annoying as there not security zones and don't show any info. Can you either only show zone types that are security and/or add an option to remove unwanted zones.
You can hide items by removing the short name in PC Access, uploading the names to the controller and then refreshing the configuration in Space (using the top right action menu on the home screen).
Thanks for advising the trick to hide items. I'm using this method for timers & flags used by my HAI controller that mean nothing to the user.  The only issue for Temp & Humidity sensors is they need to have a short name to show on the 'Climate' screen.
​Would it be possible to only show 'security' type zones or don't show zone types 81 to 85?

Q) The 'Rain Advisory' flag does not display the value anymore, only ON or OFF.

Hi,

I also have 1.01 installed and the APP still crashes every time I select an audio source. I have a RUSSOUND system installed.

Thanks,

Jim

Hi,

1) Im using version 1.01 and when I'm setting up a Camera Action and try to select a camera the screen closes and the Action screen shows camera still 'None'. btw all cameras I have show a tick beside them before trying to select one.

2) Still can't get Space to to work with Beacons. I'm using 'Estimote' brand and copy the UUID from its app into another 'Beacon' App and it finds the beacon straight away. I paste the same UUID into Space but it doesn't turn on the flag or send the message when it's in or out of range? I also only see checkmarks for my Geo Region, not the 2 iBeacon Regions. Not sure what I'm doing wrong as I gather other people are using this functionality?

Not sure if other beacon apps were interfering with Space so I turned their location services off but the same.

Question, If other beacon Apps are running in the background, will Space still receive beacon info too?

Thanks
Scott

jlipsit said:
Hi,

I also have 1.01 installed and the APP still crashes every time I select an audio source. I have a RUSSOUND system installed.

Thanks,

Jim

Confirmed problem remains unfixed here also (Russound system.)

Back