Structured Wiring solution and estimated cost

Looks reasonable for a minimum install.  I'd want to have twice as many drops with multiple CAT5 and RG9 cables to many drops but everybody has to make their own decision about "enough". I'm sure there are wireless fanatics out there that say the whole thing is a waste.

As was mentioned, install CAT5E rather than phone wiring. You can run a phone over CAT5 but you can't run data over a phone wire. I personally don't have any hardwired phones in the house because VoIP has replaced the wire from the teleco and cordless phones work great in any normal sized house. They might want to up-charge you a little because CAT5E costs more but it shouldn't be much.  CAT5E runs about 8 cents a foot while phone cable is about 3 cents a foot on monoprice.com

28" is OK for the cabinet but try to get one that can have a 2" depth extension added.  That makes it much easier to fit gear in it and provides additional  ventilation if the cabinet is flush mounted.  Mine is a Leviton and and the depth extension is just a frame that bolts on to it. A standard two plug outlet installs in the bottom to power your network gear. 

Have them install a pull string in the chase pipe.

We never even talked about electrical. It's a lot easier to install lighting automation switches at a later date if you have neutral wire in every switch gang box and your switch gang boxes are extra deep.  The first part is generally the case in new construction but it can't hurt to double-check.  They might make a fuss about the gang boxes but they should be able to get them from their electrical supplier.

There are so many other things we have not talked about like whole house UPS/surge suppressors, prewiring for keyless locks, power-line Ethernet compatible GFCI breakers, 2GHZ coax main splitter, WiFi access points, Zigbee vs Z-Wave vs UPB lighting controls, home automation controllers, and the list goes on and on. But that's all the stuff that will make your future interesting!

I would ask for 2 cat5 cables to the front door for a camera and doorphone/keypad. Perhaps another for a backyard camera, especially if you plan on having a pool. Also useful to have at least one cat5 drop in the kitchen.

Thanks for all the feedback, I really appreciate it!

I wish I could run some additional drops but at $110 a run the price climbs quickly. I do have 3 Cat5e runs that I haven't decided where I will put them.

The builder is pretty stuck on installing regular phone line. My guess is that if I ask for them to use Cat5e, they'll charge me $110 for each.

Having all the RG6 run to the demarcation point is okay right? I'll also need to have at least one RG6 run to the access panel for Internet from the cable company right?

Thanks
R

I assume your demarcation point and the LV cabinet are in the same place? It is best to run all LV cables into structured wire cabinet, including the wire from the service box. One RG6, and one Cat5 from the service box to the panel will cover the basics, but you may want 2 RG6 and 2 Cat5 for the future. Your builder does not seem to be an honest person, it cost the same to run Cat5 or phone wire; offer him to provide a box of Cat5, you can get 1000' for less than $80.

rherring said:
The builder is pretty stuck on installing regular phone line. My guess is that if I ask for them to use Cat5e, they'll charge me $110 for each.

I'm going to assume that they are going to do a loop style installation for the phones where the phone line goes from one outlet directly to the next outlet.  Builders typically are not going to do a star network where each drop goes to the central wiring closet.  So to get them to change wire type and the method that they install it (star vs loop), they are certainly going to want to charge you the $110 per drop price.

I agree with the above relating to your builder being an honest person and is actually probably learning about the whole LV installation methodologies for new construction and charging you for that.

In the long run it might be actually cheaper to sub contract a cable/alarm person to post install your cabling with or without chases.

This is my personal opinion. 

You could also negociate the price per run or all of the runs in a take or leave fashion.

It should be a cheaper price per run the more the add.  (that would be an honest builder though).

IE: the wire, resource will be the same.  The time will be maybe 10 minutes more depending on the skill level of the person running the cable.  IE: someone that never has run cable will probably take up to 4 times more time to run it.

Show him that you don't care anymore about the cabling but care more about his honesty relating to his trade.

I apologize for being a bit callus; but its your money, time, house, investment that I write about.

Personally here with one home construction endeavor after breaking ground, doing cement work, plumbing et al one contractor screwed up so bad I asked that the build be canceled and also requested a refund of build deposit which I received within 1 week of cancellation.

The LV company is actually a security company that offer structured wiring options.  I think the issue I'm having is that the builder has already contracted LV options to the company and the pricing is fixed...they're not budging.  I agree that the more runs you have the less it should cost you but I'm I'm at the mercy of the builder now. 

I'm going to make the best out of it.

Yup; in Florida the contractor sub contracted an alarm installer to do the alarm cabling around the year 2000. I think it was a fixed price. 

The contractor let me have a meeting to review the cabling to be done with the alarm installation company and I had them redo all of the runs (on paper) and added more runs. 

It wasn't enough though so I asked the contractor for 3 days to do my LV extra stuff and he did let me do that.

It didn't change the base contracted price whatever that was as it was in the original contract as just alarm prewire with detailed price.

I did the same for all of the subcontracted contractor vendors reviewing with the contractor what each of them were doing, how they were doing and if they could read an architectural drawing.  That was me though.  (pool, cement work, electrical, roof, et al).

$110 must be the going rate.  When I built, that is what the "media" contractor wanted.  I asked why, especially since I wanted some to be doubled up.  i.e. if it really was labor costs that drove the price to be $110...why when I wanted 4 drops in the same box, on the same wall, in the same place, was it $440, instead of $150.  When he argued with me, I told him put in 2 drops.  The one that is free (builder gave me 1 free), and I paid for 1 to make sure there was a line item for my PM, so his manager couldn't chew him out later on.  Learned my lesson on that.  The PM was going to frame out an extra door for me for access to the garage.  He had marked the wall studs in marker for the framers.  They were going to drywall over it, because I was adding the door later on.  His manager saw that and chewed him out, which is stupid, since now if I want the door, I have to cut the whole thing out and frame it in.  So dumb.  Anyway, got the line item, since *cough* I only wanted 2 drops.

Then, the day before the drywall went up...someone reverse stole CAT5e wire.  I was definatly "not" there, since I was "not" allowed to do any work myself.  However, the next day, when I arrived, I don't know how but 2200' of cat5e was run throughout my house.  Whomever was the masked bandit that did that, I'd like to thank them!  32 drops throughout the house on the top floor.  The bandit did not bother with the bottom floor.  He must have thought I could easily add those myself - since I have easy access through the basement.  Maybe it got too dark to see what was going on?  That is my guess - since obviously I was not there to see what the bandit could or could not see.  I'm sure it did not help that the power was cut off at night, so the bandit must have tried his best to get as much done in 1 night using his car headlights and his hunting spotlight and flashlights.  I'm only guessing of course.

--Dan

Back