System Reset OP2

Here is a best guess overview of  your current network.  This is a basic overview with the meat only network pieces.

Presented is the easiest modification because you do not touch your existing router / devices and the only change is the IP of the OmniPro panel; nothing else.

You can preconfigure the new router via the blue LAN side access (one cable) and test it for red WAN side access without touching any pieces of your current home network.

Play with the new router box and get familiar with it using one network cable from the LAN blue side of the new router to a PC/laptop.

After that piece then disconnect the OPII network cable and put the WAN red side of the firewall to your home network and test the access. 

It should work just fine. 

Then connect the blue LAN side of the new firewall to the OPII network port. 

You will then have access to the configuration of the router and all of your OPII connected devices will connect just fine as they will be utilizing the current IP.

Do not connect (via cable) the new router WAN red interface to your home network until it is configured as depicted in the drawings and you have unplugged the network interface on your OPII panel.

CURRENT

Current HAI configuration.jpg

AFTER

NEW HAI configuration.jpg

Followed your instructions and got it up and running.  Had an old WRT54G lying around which I used.   We will see if I still get system resets.  One question, does PC Access rewrite the ip address when updating or can you only set this from the console?  Thanks.  SJ

One question, does PC Access rewrite the ip address when updating or can you only set this from the console?

PCAcess only connects to the IP you have configured on the firewall which should be the same address as you already had configured on the console if you have configured your stuff per the second drawing labeled "AFTER".

The static IP address of the panel is the only change and you can do this with a keypad or legacy console (OmniPro 5.7).

To keep it simple I just changed the 3rd octet of the IP address.  (IE: 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1)

Relating to the firewall I have left port 80 open / SSH such that I can manage or change the configuration on the firewall from the RED side as the only connection on the Blue side is the OPII panel.

Here is my SSH connection:

BusyBox v1.23.2 (2015-04-08 12:11:09 UTC) built-in shell (ash)

_______                     ________        __
 |       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
 |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
 |_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
 -----------------------------------------------------
 CHAOS CALMER (Bleeding Edge, r45306)
  * 1 1/2 oz Gin            Shake with a glassful
  * 1/4 oz Triple Sec       of broken ice and pour
  * 3/4 oz Lime Juice       unstrained into a goblet.
  * 1 1/2 oz Orange Juice
  * 1 tsp. Grenadine Syrup
root@ICS-TPLink-MR:~#

and my web GUI

TPLink.jpg

Yesterday installed CollectD / RRD for statistics from the network ports to goof around.  It did not affect the operation of the OPII panel.  It did though ding the CPU on the microrouter and there is really not a lot of space to save the statistics on the microrouter box.

In the beginning I did test with a managed Gb switch not getting anywhere with it.  The OPII network interface  /  design dates back a few years; well to the beginning of ethernet networking. 

My initial router testing was with an older Linksys combo router, firewall, switch device.  It was just patching some cables over to use it.  I left it like this for a few months and it worked for me.  

I then went to a tiny travel microrouter ($20 USD on Amazon) with two network interfaces (well and wireless).  Note that most of the tiny travel routers only have one physical network port.  This one has two and wireless.  I upgraded the OS on the router changing it from the TP-Link OS to the OpenWRT OS.  It is not a power sucker (unless you utilize wireless).  I used the power from the OmniPro II panel converting it from 12VDC to 5VDC.  The specfic travel router had a 120VAC to 5VDC built in transformer.  I soldered on the 5VDC wires directly to the motherboard of the router.  (it is documented on the OpenWRT site).  I have made the tiny microrouter just part of the panel (it is inside of the can). (~ 3" X 3" velcroed to side of inside of panel).

While left in said manner and relating to another topic post I did some traffic captures yesterday of the OPII interface and didn't see much but then there isn't much getting to the interface using the methodology as described here.  Well to I do not have an HAI Email board connected to the panel. 

tcpdump -i <interface> -s 65535 -w <some-file>  (you can take the pcap file and look at it with whatever suites you fancy)

Aside from the HAI devices though I am running two applications (software) of which one talks via a serial port and the other via an IP port 24/7.

Relating to some testing there is a DOS  command line program talking IP you can run with Wintel which just polls the status, checks the time if it goes off, sends you email when turning on or off or you get an alert type stuff.  I was using it to check on the sync time as it would go off when the network interface was starting to act up (along with the serial connections).

Everything is working great. I went ahead and opened a port to be forwarded the OP2 device. Not sure if I needed to do that as DMZ opens up all ports. How do the devices communicating to the new router actually make it through to the OP2? I only have basic networking skills. Maybe don't even need DMZ opened up? All my panels are working fine. However my one OT7 seems to flake out occasionally and reboot. Not sure if that is because of the router between it and the OP2. I also updated all the firmware of everything and it could be related to that. All my Haiku/Space apps work perfectly. Interesting that now the OP2 Ethernet hardly blinks at all as I assume the router is now blocking traffic. I have a lot of network devices (50) in my home including 4 IP cameras that get recorded. Lots of traffic. Also, the device didn't do a system reset for the first day. Hope things continue to work. Thanks. SJ

and opened a port to be forwarded the OP2 device. Not sure if I needed to do that as DMZ opens up all ports.

Yup; you don't need to because the IP of the OPII is in a DMZ. 

Maybe don't even need DMZ opened up?

Personally its easy but you only need one port anyways to the OP2 open.  Its just easy and there should be no issues caused by other devices on your network. 

The firewall is internal to your network that is behind another firewall to the internet.

The other ports I opened only relate to management of the firewall as typically the default is no access via the red interface for management (rather its just the blue interface for management). (SSH or HTTP or HTTPS).

I also update the firmware of the router this way.

How do the devices communicating to the new router actually make it through to the OP2?

All of the devices that talk to the OP2 see the red interface as a direct connect to the OP2. 

The Red network interface on the router talks to the Blue interface on the router and the IP of the OPII panel. 

You configure network chit chat connection by telling your router to forward/allow the network traffic from one port (red NIC) to the other port (blue NIC) and then to the OP2.NIC.

IE: like you have today on your home LAN / network.   You have one pipe / one dynamic or static IP address to the internet shared to all of the devices on your home network.

You tell those home network device the route to the Internet by providing a gateway IP address (your home firewall) and a DNS IP address (which can be the same one).  This is manually when you configure a static IP address or automatically if the device on your network is using DHCP.

Only difference is that you have only the OP2 device on the blue side of the network and it is statically configured as the OP2 doesn't do a DHCP request.

However my one OT7 seems to flake out occasionally and reboot

I have read about similiar issues with other folks and their OT7's and running CCTV stuff?  It is making the Android OS do a bunch of processing which causing it to hiccup. 

There have been many updates to the OT7 since the beginning.  I do not see my Omnitouch Pro embedded Wintel screens hiccup but that is using old software.

Here my very old OmniTouch 5.7e's make tiny SD 4:3 CCTV videos and I have to squint to see any details on them.  The oldest Omnitouch 5.7's make bigger SD videos but they are a bit blurry.

Thinking still its just relating to an older network interface that is very promiscuous and see everything traffic related on your network.  I didn't have issues here until the number of networked devices / traffic went way up.  I have another OP2 panel in another home that hasn't ever been touched.  The network there is much smaller and I have never had any issues with it.

I have sort of hybrid of old HAI CCTV stuff (IE: HAI Analog VIdeo hub and my NVR's and my Axis servers and my encoder / decoder).  IP video goes to the encoder / decoder as an IP.  From the box it goes analog to one port on the old HAI Video hub then to the Omnitouch 5.7's.  On the IP side the cams talk via the NVR or directly to the Omnitouch 5.7e's configured in PC Access.

You can if you want organize your network and document to a spreadsheet such that it is easier to manage.  Just something to think about.  Here when I add a device to the network, I change the name of the device to something I remember and the IP to some subgroup of IPs.

1 - use the same mask as you are using today:  255.255.255.0

Divide up your network to:

1 - static IP'd devices  / then organize your static IP addresses.  Here a network switch is in one group of IPs, NAS boxes in another group,  desktops, TV box (XMBCs) are in another group, touchscreens in another group.
2 - DHCP addresses - the scope is the from and to address range - number of devices you want using DHCP - Mostly here used for tablets, laptops, phones et al
3 - statically assigned DHCP addresses based on the MAC address of the hardware.  Here I have configured my HDHomerun boxes and 3 Com Intellijack devices (like little mini POE managed switches).

Think too if you want a small low energy device that you can put inside of your panel; consider the tiny
TP-LINK TL-WR710N 150Mbps Wireless N Mini Pocket Router, Repeater, Client, 2 LAN Ports, USB Port for Charging and Storage
It is on Amazon for $22.28 with free shipping or 2 day shipping with Amazon Prime.  It takes literally 5 minutes to change the TP-Link firmware to OpenWRT. The 5VDC pins on the TL-WR710 are easy to find.  You can also utilize the wireless on this device although I am not sure it would work very well inside of the HAI can.

Here is some basic networking stuff for quick reading.

Layer 2 is the data link where data packets are encoded and decoded into bits. The MAC (Media Access Control) sub layer controls how a computer on the network gains access to the data and permission to transmit it and the LLC (Logical Link control) layer controls frame synchronization, flow control and error checking.

Layer 3 provides switching and routing technologies, creating logical paths, known as virtual circuits, for transmitting data from node to node. Routing and forwarding are functions of this layer, as well as addressing, internetworking, error handling, congestion control and packet sequencing.

To summarize:

Layer 2 Data Link: Responsible for physical addressing, error correction, and preparing the information for the media
Layer 3 Network: Responsible for logical addressing and routing IP, ICMP, ARP, RIP, IGRP, and routers

Some advantages of Layer 2 include lower costs, only requires switching, no routing gear is necessary and offers very low latency. Layer 2 also has some significant disadvantages such as the lack of router hardware, leaving them susceptible to broadcast storm and the additional administrative overhead of IP allocations due to flat subnet across multiple sites.

Layer 2 networks also forward all traffic, especially ARP and DHCP broadcasts. Anything transmitted by one device is forwarded to all devices. When the network gets too large, the broadcast traffic begins to create congestion and decreases network efficiency.

Layer 3 devices, on the other hand, restrict broadcast traffic such as ARP and DHCP broadcasts to the local network. This reduces overall traffic levels by allowing administrators to divide networks into smaller parts and restrict broadcasts to only that sub-network.

osi-model-557x454.gif

Sniffing the network and network packets is a network diagnostic means of looking at bits and pieces of communications between different devices or broadcasts on your network.

There is software now too that interprets these values of bits and pieces. 

One work thing back in the 1990's was a mandatory sniffer class.  It was an eclectic group of us folks taking the class in San Diego 

One day the discussion went to the difference between a brouter and a router. 

The brouter / router discussion quickly escalated to and whom should have won / won the American war of Independence (1775–1783).   Then folks started to get really vocal standing up in the chairs and shaking their fists. 

It did make for a lively network sniffer class.

Let us know how it goes.  I am curious as I have now been doing this with my OPII for some time now.

As far as the OT7, there is really no way it knows the difference in my new setup vs. the old? Assume it just communicates using the IP address of the router and the port number I've set on my OP2? Is this one way or two way communication? Meaning can the OP2 communicate by itself to the OT7 or is the OT7 always the requester and polling for changes.. I know if I change my HAI thermostat it usually updates the OT7 within a few seconds. Also if I lock a door (zwave), the OT7 updates accordingly to show the change. The OP2 knows about the change and gets this information to the OT7. It seemed to have settled down a bit more by opening a specific port forward on the new router vs, just DMZ. Maybe just a coincident. I also reloaded my setup file which I didn't do after updating the OP2 firmware. Also reloaded the OT7 firmware again for the heck of it.... Thanks again for the great information. SJ

As far as the OT7, there is really no way it knows the difference in my new setup vs. the old?
no

Assume it just communicates using the IP address of the router and the port number I've set on my OP2?

Yes or putting the OP2 in the DMZ.

Is this one way or two way communication?
two way - you get status and you push buttons.

Meaning can the OP2 communicate by itself to the OT7 or is the OT7 always the requester and polling for changes

The OP2 communicates by itself to all of the devices plugged in to the serial or network.  The OT7 is similiar to your keypad except it is an LCD / Android OS / OmniPro written software for the Android OS.

I am not sure how customized the Android OS is or if it needs to chatter with the internet.  A test would be to disconnect the internet and see if you OT7 keeps working fine without an internet connection.

The Omnistat (thermostat) is a device on the serial bus and it is always chatting with the panel.

The Aux Temperature / Humidity sensors each talk to one Zone.  The audio Russound stuff talks to one serial port as well as the X10 TW-523, Leviton Z-Wave PIM and HAI UPB PIM.  Lots of chit chat between the serial and IP stuff.  Considering the age of the technology; it is a little wonderous relating to what the panel can do.

The CCTV IP camera configuration is the same with the same IPs configured via PCA and works fine on the Omnitouch 5.7e screens.

The Omnitouch 5.7's are serially connected to one serial port and they each have ID's.    The old HAI video hub is also an Omnitouch hub that passes the video screens to the Omnitouch 5.7's.  I think the video is analog (on the wire) and paired with the 3 serial wires.

Here one issue with my older OmniTouch 5.7's is sometimes the chime goes to a sqawk and I have to reset the Omnitouch 5.7's.  The squawk is replacing the chime and the squawk is annoying.

I have not had any issues with the Omnitouch 5.7e's. They are 4:3 screens though.

Let us know after a week or two how it goes.

The mystery continues on this. At around the same time, HaikuHelper disconnected from my OP2 and a few second later reconnected. This is what happened when the OP2 would do a system reset. However, with the new router in place, the OP2 did not do a system reset. In fact, it has never done one since I installed the secondary router in front of it. On the same mac (with a few seconds), my IP camera recorder disconnected (from the four cameras). What the heck is going on? At least the new router seems to be "shielding" whatever is happening from impacting the OP2. SJ

Goofing around here have been looking at the traffic (OPII to and from NIC) on the Red side of the microrouter mostly to look for errors and see none at all.

This morning also tested disconnecting the OPII interface from the microuter.

The Omnitouch 5.7e's disconnected and would not reconnect until I reset them. (they just sat in the connecting mode). 

Noticed too that the Homeseer network OPII plugin went off line and didn't reconnect until I restarted the plugin.

The IP camera links configured via PCA to the Omnitouch 5.7e's worked fine after resetting the screens.  (I wouldn't think otherwise).

Having the microrouter take its power from the OPII panel is add to this mod. 

Guessing you have a UPS connected to the added router eh?

Another test that might trigger an issue with the OPII port would be to generate network traffic (use a packet generator) on the red side of the interface and watch.

Well not a single system reset since I installed the secondary router in front of the OP2. Still get a disconnect on Haiku Helper every few days at the same time in the morning. Cameras also disconnect briefly and then reconnect. Rolling back the firmware on my OT7 has stabilized it. Thought it might be my Mac doing a backup or something when my Server was powered down, but turning off Time machine didn't help. Still got a disconnect in Haiku Helper and Cameras. At least the OP2 seems to be shielded now from whatever is happening to my Mac at 1:30 a.m. SJ

Good news!

Here trying to break the connection increasing the number of IP connections to the OPII using software.

With all the possible network issues, it makes me think if they ever release an OP3, whether they will self contain it behind their own firewall. Plugging in OT7s and other network devices to their own internal router bank or something. Can I add my OT7 behind my new secondary router with the OP2? Maybe even my cameras? Makes me wonder whether I should start to isolate my entire home automation network into the secondary network... SJ

SJHart said:
With all the possible network issues, it makes me think if they ever release an OP3, whether they will self contain it behind their own firewall.

Let's hope not.  There are plenty of routers that can handle multiple networks and isolate each network if needed and even support multi-WAN.  Adding an additional layer of difficulty to the OP3 (please let there be an OP3!), would mean more troubleshooting and it would be unusual and rare to separate the two networks for the majority of customers anyway.

When an OP3 device is released it will most likely be utilizing current standard network hardware / firmware which is way different today than it was in the early 2000's and you will probably not see these issues. 

I push the Omnipro II panel here a bit.

Today I have no issues with 2nd panel on a much smaller network.

The panel here did start to mis behave over time and very intermittently where a reset would fix it for me initially for months at a time.  I tried a few things before I did the doo of installing the microrouter initially just as an experiment.  

The issue of having to install something like this though would be a PITA to deal with relative to a commercial establishments installation base of clients. 

I personally have only updated the firmware on my OpenWRT microrouter. 

The microrouter firmware doesn't really need to be updated.

I just upgraded the firmware on the microrouter because I could and every update has been an improvement in the OS.

Back