System Reset OP2

Guess you are correct that if they ever release an OP3 it will have much improved network capabilities. Wonder if an OP3 will ever come as the network seems to be a weak link now for the OP2. SJ

In the 1990's the PC's didn't come with network cards there was a mad dash for extremely expensive at the time Madge Token Ring network cards.  I think there was something magical about them and it was a monopoly at the time as I believe that Mr. Madge had something to do with figuring out Ethernet. 

That said resetting a token ring network involved a manual effort.

Here is what the connector looked like.  Note this connector is bigger than my pinkie.

220px-IBM_hermaphroditic_connector.JPG

And the IBM 8228 multistation access unit.  It was a manual reset should there have been an issue.

220px-IBM_8228_Multistation_Access_Unit.JPG

The Madge 4/16 Mbits/s Token Ring ISA NIC

250px-EISA_TokenRing_NIC.JPG

The whole beginning pieces of using Ethernet also was a bit kludgy in that the vendors of the PC's network cards / built in stuff didn't always see eye to eye with the vendors of the network hubs.  The network cards had coaxial and RJ-45 ports on it.  Auto Negotiating a network speed was very iffy and somewhat magical.  The PC vendors blamed the network switch vendors and the network switch vendors blamed the PC vendors.

Most recently it was relating to the standards of POE and Gb speeds stuff.  The original Cisco POE switches I used were a Cisco propietary standard as there was not POE standard in the beginning.

Thinking that the OPII NIC is a weak link today cuz yesteryear mostly folks didn't have a bunch of stuff on their network or even no network.  I mean those old PC's only had dial up modem access to AOL way back.

Yeah, when Infirst installed my OP2, really didn't have the amount of devices and associated traffic that I have now. Thanks for the info, love the old network connector. Looks solid! SJ

Yeah here pretty much may leave what I have in place and let the yut play will the new Leviton stuff unless I can update my OPII panel to the OP3 for say some $500 USD. 

Leviton will need to be competitive in the new market place unless they don't want to play anymore?

Back