Terminal boards for WebControl

Hello

Maybe for Revision 2.0, but here are some ideas for your expansion board:
-Add opto-coupler for all 8 logical inputs
-Add small SSR as output protection: PVT312
-one ground 0V connection point is maybe too few for 8 inputs ?

Thank you

Maybe for Revision 2.0, but here are some ideas for your expansion board:
-Add opto-coupler for all 8 logical inputs
It will substantially increase the size of the board, and adds a lot of extra complexity simply because there are so many ways people may want to use it. For example:
* Common ground, common supply or each channel isolated?
* (That alone could mean 16 terminals - two per input)
* What voltage? AC or DC? Does each input then need AC optos (more expensive)

-Add small SSR as output protection: PVT312
This board doesn't currently connect to the output connectors.

-one ground 0V connection point is maybe too few for 8 inputs ?
Again, depends on the system configuration. There is the prototyping area down the side, which could easily take a number of additional screw terminals, and a wire run down the back can easily connect them to the 0V rail (already right there).

I'm happy to do it if there's a need though...

I am intrested in 2-3 pcs. depending on the price, and of cource if you will send to sweden !
I'm happy to ship to Sweden. As for price - well, the boards are being made now. Do you want just bare boards, or do you want them populated?

is the spacing of the input resistors 1 4 7 such that one could put a jumper there instead if someone doesn't need the input filtering? Of course the cost is that big a deal I guess

is the spacing of the input resistors 1 4 7 such that one could put a jumper there instead if someone doesn't need the input filtering? Of course the cost is that big a deal I guess

The input amplifiers have been layed out such that a short link can be installed on each channel and simply not install *ANY* of the resistors, or the opamp itself. Or, the opamp can be used as a unity-gain buffer. Or as pretty much whatever gain you want, either inverting or non-inverting.

I'm not sure what the cost will be quite yet, I'm waiting on the boards to get here and see what (if anything) I get hit for customs etc. I've ordered parts to populate the boards that are made, and once I have all them I can prepare prices for
(a) Bare board
(B) Board and components, assembly required
(c) Assembled and tested boards.

Given I'm not in a 3rd world country, I don't expect them to be $5, but similarly, I don't expect them to be a stupid price either.

yeah that last part should have said "Of course the cost isn't that big a deal I guess". Meaning the extra cost of a few resistors and the opamp.

OK. Boards just arrived. Will hopefully get time to build some up this weekend and test etc. I've quickly populated just enough to take some quick pictures. Obviously no gain resistors installed around the opamp yet.

(Edited - to correct photos, and add a couple)

The board viewed obliquely from 4 sides:
i0177.jpg

i0178.jpg

i0179.jpg

i0182.jpg

One looking straight down:
i0181.jpg

And one that shows a screwdriver still fits neatly into the existing WC terminals:
i0185.jpg

what's the PCB gonna cost?

Do you want just the bare board that you will populate yourself? Or do you want it populated?

it looks great! Next time get it in red LOL
Hah. I got green so it would match the WebControl board!

Oh, and the pictures are slightly wrong. In my haste, I'd pushed the board onto the header in the wrong place, so its out by 0.1" - it doesn't actually cover the screws of the temp/humidity inputs. I'll re-take the photos and replace them.

well you could sell it as a kit as long as you tell us where the different resistors go. I have no problem soldering it myself but I'm sure someone here would like a complete one.

I just love black and red colored pcbs. I've seen a bright blue one once too that looked cool. It even had the writing (instead of silk screening) they simply took the colored layer off (like pads) it really looked nifty

well you could sell it as a kit as long as you tell us where the different resistors go. I have no problem soldering it myself but I'm sure someone here would like a complete one.

I'll publish the circuit anyway, it's absolutely trivial. :)
The resistors go in one of two places, depending on your requirements - inverting or non-inverting amplifiers.
In my immediate application, I want inverting amps to measure charge current through my 6 solar arrays. (600W each)
The value of the resistors will be determined by the gain you need, and if it's inverting or non-inverting amplifier.

webterminals-amp.gif

That amp is similar to the circuit in the Kill-a-watt meter, which amplify an AC voltage drop on a short copper loop wire. AC signal can be easily amplified to a bigger signal. Even Ross' design is for DC circuit, it can be easily modified to measure grid-tie inverter output also.

That amp is similar to the circuit in the Kill-a-watt meter, which amplify an AC voltage drop on a short copper loop wire. AC signal can be easily amplified to a bigger signal. Even Ross' design is for DC circuit, it can be easily modified to measure grid-tie inverter output also.

I very intentionally designed it to be as flexible as possible.

OK guys/girls, I'm going to try to figure out some prices, but some sort of guesses of quantities will help a lot. Not asking for commitments or anything, just expressions of (genuine) interest, please.

I'm thinking of offering a bunch of different version.
* Bare board only.
i0208.jpg

* Short-form kit. Bare board plus all the connectors.
i0205.jpg

* Long kit. Includes Board, connectors, IC, bypass capacitor and resistors for specified gain.
i0204.jpg

Also, assembled and tested versions.
Short board. (Basically a terminal break-out board). (Jumpers not shown on this pic, but analog inputs linked to connector)
i0209.JPG
i0210.JPG

And finally, the full board with amp and resistors fitted and tested.

I've just ordered a bunch of Rail-to-Rail opamps so it will be practical to run amplified inputs to 0-5V in to the ADC. Not ideal, but adequate for many purposes.

So... speak up, who wants how many of what so I can work out prices. I'll be happy to ship to anywhere in the world, I figure you guys are all trustworthy! :)

Back