Total Home Surge Protector

That's a fair point, thanks.  I can't place a single unit in-between the panels, but I can definitely locate a single unit right next to each panel.  Sounds like I will go with the 2 separate ones then!  

Any recommendation on the Leviton versus the Eaton?  It seems like they both perform basically the same duties.. though the Leviton is a bit pricier.  Looks like the Leviton is just under double the cost of the Eaton, but I would have to buy wall mounts for the Eatons as well (doubt they are very expensive).  

Slates said:
Any recommendation on the Leviton versus the Eaton?  It seems like they both perform basically the same duties.. though the Leviton is a bit pricier.  Looks like the Leviton is just under double the cost of the Eaton, but I would have to buy wall mounts for the Eatons as well (doubt they are very expensive).  

Looking at the specs, it's a little difficult to directly compare the Eaton and the Leviton.  But on the one number that I could find that both quote, it appears that the Eaton provides better protection.  The nominal discharge current is 20kA for the Eaton, vs 3kA for the Leviton.   They both use MOV technology to absorb the surge, so it pretty much comes down to which one has heavier duty MOVs, and it looks like the Eaton wins on that.

+1  :hesaid:  on the Eaton but I have an old one and biased a bit. 

Mine has a little control module with an alarm contact switch on it for surges in case I miss one. (which I don't really need)

- Diagnostics — LED indicators, 1 per phase, normally on
- Remote Alarm Form C (Volt Free) relay, contact rating 60 W, or 125 Vac @ 0.5 Amp, or 30Vdc @1Amp
- Nominal Discharge current (In= 20kA)
- Short Circuit Current Rating (SCCR) 200kA
- Audible Alarm, Surge Counter and Phase Loss Monitor (optional)
- Peak Surge Current — 160 kA per phase; 80 kA per mode
- ANSI/IEEE C62.41 Location Categories — A, B and C
- Application — High to Low Exposure Level, sensitive, mission critical load applications including: distributionpanels, branch panels and critical load centers.

Warranty — 20-Year Free Replacement

It definitely seems like the Eaton is more bang for the buck but the Leviton just looks more polished.  Since I could care less about the look, its a slam dunk for me on the Eaton units.  

Back