Unable to set M1 clock?

I have version 2.0.16 for RP

I do see the Setup menu option, but I don't see any option to change the time there.

Work2Play said:
I *think* if it's set for NTP, you can't manually set the time. I also know that, for NTP, you have to use an IP address and not a server name.

BTW, this is the first time I've heard of this. I've always had a URL address entered and haven't had a problem ???

WayneW said:
this sounds like a very old issue that I had. Try slipping a piece of paper under the RTC clock battery connector for a minute, then remove the paper to restart the clock. Now you should be able to set it.
This worked for me, too, THANK YOU!    However, I wonder:  Is this a sign that the CR2032 battery is going bad?  On one hand, one might think that if the CR2032 were going bad, you could still reset the clock; it just wouldn't hold the time during an extended power outage.  But you'd think you could still reset the time, when the power returned.   

So, on the other hand, perhaps the RTC CR2032 battery is NOT going bad, but, instead, the RTC is simply "locked-up" and needs reseting and the CR2032 has enough power to keep it in this "locked-up" state...  

Thoughts?

-Mike

If the RTC (real time clock) battery is weak or dead that could easily cause the RTC chip to lock up or misbehave. The M1 firmware probably doesn't expect this, so when you set the time (manually or automatically), the M1 CPU writes it to the RTC but it doesn't take because the RTC chip is out to lunch, but the firmware doesn't verify the writes so doesn't flag it. Without a valid system clock it stands to reason event logging might becomes non-functional. Just a theory, but seems supported by your experience. Many PC's exhibit similar weird behavior when their BIOS/RTC batteries are weak/dead/missing.

Considering the cost of the battery seems like cheap insurance to replace every 2-3 years. It also might help if the M1 firmware verified writes to the RTC are successful and alerts the user when they're not...

Okay, I am clearly 3 years behind on this thread. Anyway, where do I find the RTC battery? Is it in the M1G case, or is it in the M1EXP case? I've looked in both and I am unable to find anything that looks like an RTC battery.

GreyFox said:
Okay, I am clearly 3 years behind on this thread. Anyway, where do I find the RTC battery? Is it in the M1G case, or is it in the M1EXP case? I've looked in both and I am unable to find anything that looks like an RTC battery.
Inside the M1G plastic case.  Per the M1 install guide:

Lithium 3V "Clock" battery, Varta #CR2032 located in upper left corner behind cover. Battery has a life expectancy of approx. 10 years. Replace ONLY with exact model available at most electronics and camera retailers. "CAUTION: Lithium Battery May Explode If Mistreated. Do Not Recharge, Disassemble, or Dispose Of In Fire."

Back