Premise UPB Driver

Motorola Premise
Since I have an 8-port USB - Serial box, I never needed to get the Global Cache working, so didn't pursue it. But thanks. Always good to learn something new.

OK I have re-read 123's documentation, but it still wont work. Also, what are the "House Codes" within the PLC parameters? Any other ideas?

If you have the lights working in ElkRP, I'm not sure what the next step is if the documentation doesn't say since I don't use UPB with the Elk. I'll try to look and see if something jumps out at me though.

Does the UPB device need to be connected to the Elk M1G? I would think you could always connect it to the Premise server directly via a serial port and use the UBP driver 123 wrote.

The UPB PIM is connected to the M1 via an XSP serial device. The lights fire and run the rules set up in RP, just cant get the Premise software to see the PIM via the M1 module for Premise.

Does ElkRP have an identity property for each light and the PLC group and did you rerun discovery with AllPLCDevices set to true?

Also, it appears you have to set PLCIdentity for the PLC group (or housecode and unitcode which I think are for X10 lighting only). I'm guessing you get this info from ElkRP?

Attachments

• plcdevices.jpg
    plcdevices.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 6
RP does not have a way to set individual lighting other than type such as dimmer, on/off, etc, and allows you to rename the device.

As for setting each device to "true", I dont see where to do that?

"Also, it appears you have to set PLCIdentity for the PLC group", Im not sure what this means??

RP does not have a way to set individual lighting other than type such as dimmer, on/off, etc, and allows you to rename the device.

You are right. It appears in ElkRP that the device id starts at 1 and increases as you add devices, but the user can't change the device id (it's the number under "Device" in ElkRP automtion => Lighting).

"Also, it appears you have to set PLCIdentity for the PLC group", Im not sure what this means??

Don't worry about this. I think you only have to do that if you use the PLCDeviceControl.

The only thing I can tell you is to use port spy and study the RS232 protocol for the Elk and make sure everything works as it should.

Everything else works fine with the Elk. I think its a Premise issue, but Im not versed enough in Premise to really understand everything. Im still trying to learn this, but sometimes I just have no idea where to start.

I still say that you should at least try and hook up your PIM directly to the server, bypassing the Elk, to be sure Premise can see your UPB system. Then if it can, you know the issue lies in the Elk, or what it's doing while it sits between.

OK premise saw the PIM, however it did not see the 2 devices, so I couldnt control anything. It sucked down the info from the PIM such as firmware version, UPB version, etc.

I just looked back onthis thread and noticed that you are using ULM-20 lamp modules. Those are not supported in any of the drivers. I was able to hack in a couple of switches and modules to the original drivers ages ago. But I don't know if I can add anymore. I am NOT a programming guy.

Bottom line, if they device is not specifically listed in the driver, the system won't find it. HOWEVER, it should at least show as an unknown module. So if you don't have that, something else is wrong.

Go to the Simply Automated website and download the UPBStart software. Install it. Stop the Premise service. Run UPBStart and see if it can find all of the devices. Program them to have the same network ID, give them names, etc. Then shut down UPBStar and fire up Premise again and see what you get.

If you can get the UPB software going, look at the info on the modules. Get me the Manufacturer ID and the Product ID and I'll see if I can add the devices to the driver.

Back