Upb issues with OmniPro 2

Keeping the phase couplers should be O.K. but they are really needed anymore.

Now on the repeater, you only have one, correct? I THINK you can have more than one, but fully check the instructions.  A UPB "packet" can only be repeated once, and the repeater keeps track of what is and isn't repeated. 

Make sure you enable UPStart to work with a repeater.  UPStart has some great debugging tools for use with a repeater. Try to run these and see if that can identify a problem.  Focus around the area where the switch signal is the worst. 

The only other thing that I can think of is a bad UPB Computer Interface, or a weak one, but its pretty rare. The PCS one is the best if you are connecting it to a computer. I'd use the HAI one for connecting to the Omni panel.

Hi Newbie,

This is Marshall Lester at PCS. Ultimately responsible for all UPB in the universe.

If you want, you can call me at PCS and I will help you figure out your problems.

For all UPB people out there - note - the one worst UPB noise source is a Pentair Variflo pool pump. Small white 240V variable speed water pump.

Problem nicely solved with any 240V-240V, 3KVA or 5KVA transformer. Stops all the variable speed motor noise from getting back into the house wiring.

Noise is only there when pump is on. No other pool pumps bother UPB - only that one model. The 2-speed or 1-speed Pentair do not make any UPB noise. Only the VariFlo.

Marshall - I've been using UPB since day 1 and there are very few things that mess with the UPB signal.  However, Panasonic inverter microwaves and early Panasonic plasma TV's do block signals.  I've fixed both with plug in filters.

mlester said:
Problem nicely solved with any 240V-240V, 3KVA or 5KVA transformer. Stops all the variable speed motor noise from getting back into the house wiring.
Just for grins and giggles, what is the cost of a 240V-240V 5KVA transformer? 

In Arizona, the lobby group for these pool pumps got a law passed requiring them. When I had a pool, and needed a new pump, I did some calculations. It would take 15 to 16 years of energy savings to pay for the added cost of one of these variable speed pumps, but their lifespan is less than 8 years.

Nice to see you on the Cocoontech Forum Marshall Lester.

Here had no issues with UPB for a couple of years after initial installation. 

One day neighbors installed an inground pool.  Took the UPB net work to a crawl.

Tried a PCS phase repeater. 

Didn't help at the time so installed a PCS/HAI phase repeater.

Worked perfect after that.

Hi all - a 3 KVA transformer like that is about $300 new but you can find them on eBay for <$100. Find one with close cheap shipping since they weigh about $50 lbs. 5KVA is proportionately more.

Marshall

So, I have some HAI/Leviton 35A00-1 dimmers that exhibit a sort of similar problem. In my case, I've found a couple of dimmers that have quit communicating though local control is working fine. Replacing the problem dimmer with a "new" 35A00 fixes the problem in the same location, same phase. At this point, I have several dimmers in a box with a label that says "Won't Talk". I've tried factory reset, UPStart and Omni II for communication without any success. Is there yet another magic reset or is internal surgery a possibility? I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron...

jrgrant said:
So, I have some HAI/Leviton 39A00-1 dimmers that exhibit a sort of similar problem. In my case, I've found a couple of dimmers that have quit communicating though local control is working fine. Replacing the problem dimmer with a "new" 39A00 fixes the problem. At this point, I have several dimmers in a box with a label that says "Won't Talk". I've tried factory reset, UPStart and Omni II for communication without any success. Is there yet another magic reset or is internal surgery a possibility? I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron...
A 39A00-1 is a phase coupler, not a dimmer. I have had 40+ of these HAI UPB dimmers running in my house for many years and never have had a failure. Failures outside of lightning strikes are pretty rare. 

Are you talking about 35A00-1 dimmers? What do you mean "they don't communicate."  Between the switch and what?  Are you trying to "communicate" across phases? Do you have a repeater installed in your house?   Like it says in this post.. http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/31185-upb-issues-with-omnipro-2/?p=262657

Oops -- yeah, I meant 35A00-1 dimmers. I do have a 39A00-1 phase coupler but I haven't installed it yet. I'm in a rural area a long way from a substation, so we get a fair number of lightning strikes, outages, recloser slams, etc. and the dimmers are mostly eBay purchases with unknown provenance. All that to say yes, indeed they could have suffered some power line abuse.

The communication failure I'm experiencing is between the dimmer and any other UPB device. Omnipro II with HAI PIM and UPStart running on an ancient PC with an HAI 36A00 PIM are the only controllers i have available. If I put the bad dimmer in setup mode, neither UPStart nor Omnipro II can "see" it. All the other HAI 35A00, 40A00 and PCS dimmers are working well (which is why I never bothered to install the phase coupler). I'm reluctant to spring for a repeater when the problem seems to be more of an end device rather than network issue.

As I stated, I can replace a non-communicative dimmer with an identical device and it communicates, so I'm thinking signal strength and/or interference are not likely to be the issue with these problem dimmers.
So, my question: is there any known way to repair these devices, particularly with this failure mode?

Back