USB Charging Delemma

I have installed two outlets with built-in USB chargers (from Lowes, possible Lutron/Levitron, I don't recall). Both work well and charge iPads, Android phones, bluetooth headsets, Nooks, etc... My experience with devices requiring higher current is that they generally WILL charge on lower current, but take longer and not always properly indicate charging. Regardless, this has not been an issue with the two that I use.

One of the concerns I have with the new iPad/Phone power adapters is that Apple will take the approach that they use with the Mac computer...dedicated charger requiring a purchase of apple-only power cords. They don't license the magsafe connector for others (such as iGo) to use. If they take such an approach with the new iPhones, a USB port for charging may have little future value with iDevices.

Not sure I follow. Are you saying Apple may not allow charging over a USB port? Even if they lock up the iPhone side of the connector, which I doubt, how would that make a USB charging device incompatible?

I have installed two outlets with built-in USB chargers (from Lowes, possible Lutron/Levitron, I don't recall). Both work well and charge iPads, Android phones, bluetooth headsets, Nooks, etc... My experience with devices requiring higher current is that they generally WILL charge on lower current, but take longer and not always properly indicate charging. Regardless, this has not been an issue with the two that I use.

One of the concerns I have with the new iPad/Phone power adapters is that Apple will take the approach that they use with the Mac computer...dedicated charger requiring a purchase of apple-only power cords. They don't license the magsafe connector for others (such as iGo) to use. If they take such an approach with the new iPhones, a USB port for charging may have little future value with iDevices.

That would be a terrible marketing decision.

One of the plusses of the USB charging is its universality. You can stick it in any USB port.
Plus all the airports I've been in recently have dedicated charging stations with USB outlets.
Apple would be shooting themselves in the foot to remove an expected capability.

I just don't see that happening - there's no good reason to think it would. The new devices will still be able to be plugged into a computer to sync, and I'm quite sure they'll even sell adapters for older accessories to plug into new phones (otherwise I'm screwed for my in-car connection and nighstand alarm clock). What they probably will support is USB3.0, and a new smaller and hopefully sturdier plug design.

I'd love to see it stay the same forever, but I can't complain - it's stayed a standard longer than the small USB as they went from Mini to Micro already.

Check out macrumors.com there's plenty of talk about the new cable (seen below) that is clearly USB so we appear to be safe (if the rumor sites are correct) for the next generation of idevices. Now let's hope power requirements are not going to increase or require a 'smart' charger to fully charge the units.

NewImage2.png

I use similar in-wall receptacles with the USB ports throughout the house. I have not had any issues with charging dual IOS devices. Power2U is the brand that I purchased although I see that they have upgraded the product. The thing that I liked about these is that no power is being used by the USB ports unless something is actually charging. I do not know about the other in-wall chargers.

Joe

The Newer Tech Power2U look nice however I didn't purchase them because of the reviews saying the shroud around most USB cables stops the cable from fully entering the USB socket. Have you noticed that issue with yours?

I like not losing the two outlets, but just like all the others on the market they are only 10w meaning only one high powered / fast charging device per outlet. It also boasts an integrated on/off switch - is that electronic or is it activated when you open the USB doors?

The Newer Tech Power2U look nice however I didn't purchase them because of the reviews saying the shroud around most USB cables stops the cable from fully entering the USB socket. Have you noticed that issue with yours?

I like not losing the two outlets, but just like all the others on the market they are only 10w meaning only one high powered / fast charging device per outlet. It also boasts an integrated on/off switch - is that electronic or is it activated when you open the USB doors?

The ones that I have are the older model and I do not have any issues with the USB sockets. I regards to the 10 watts, we only have the most current iPhones and I know for certain that we charge 2 iPhones at once on it. There has never been an issue with it.

Joe

In reading the reviews, it's activated by the opening of the doors. People were commenting that once the doors gave them issues, they would remove them and have to tape something down to keep the ports turned on.

I guess I wouldn't care *that* much about them being always on, as I keep the wall warts plugged in at all times today... but for me I want two high-powered ports. Even if I'm only charging an iPhone, they charge in a fraction of the time on an iPad charger over an iPhone charger - so I keep iPad chargers in most places.

Looking at the specs the newer tech outlet is larger than the leviton. My leviton fit fine in the box. After now living with it for a week I like them, but frankly will wait for the *hopeful* v2 design with two high power plugs. Leviton are you listening????

Here's an old one I was thinking about when this topic came up but couldn't remember the name:

The U-Socket - it doesn't have the doors to contend with but does turn off power to the USB ports when not in use and it doesn't cost you an outlet; on the other hand, it requires their special faceplate so it wouldn't work for double-gang outlet locations. I do like the fact that you don't lose an outlet though so it's kinda the best of all worlds at least for a few key locations in my home.

I'm thinking I'll order one before long and try it out.

There seems to be a competing specs on the U-Socket. This guy on Amazon is saying that it is NOT high speed, but the specs say it's 2.6A PER port. You might want to give fastmac a call to confirm before spending $10 more on a outlet that has less features than competing products.

I don't think it's less features if it works as advertised. I emailed them a link to that review and asked and this is their response:

Thank you so much for contacting us and for your interest in our product!
That review is not accurate at all! I think the person who wrote it confused our product with Cooper's copy-cat version of our product.

The U-Socket charges just as fast as it would from using your Apple AC chargers.

Here is the break down:
The U-Socket provides 2400 Amps between the two USB ports. This does not mean that each port only gets 1200 Amps each. If one port is needing 2100 amps, it will give that one part 2100 and leave 300 amps for the second port.

An iPad needs 2100 Amps and an iPhone needs 1100 Amps.
As a result, you can charge 2 iPhones at full speed, or 1 iPad at full speed with a little bit of juice left over to slowly charge a second iPad or iPhone.

Hope I was able to help. Please let me know if you have any further questions!!

Regards,
Sabrina

Back