Video Surveillance camera with ELK M1 / Insteon

I've been looking at cameras to use with my ElkM1 recently. The Vivotek IP8362 seems really good. Anyone tried it?? I guest it depends on what you really want to do.

In my case it is monitoring my cottage so getting email snapshots triggered from my ELM M1 through the cameras IO input is great. It can also get ongoing video on its flash memory or ftp to a local PC. I like the simplicity of the flash memory, but not as safe as a hidden recorder. All of the email setup is done from the cameras direct e-mailing capability. It can stream different video formats if you want. Night vision, ect... and the documentation is well done. The camera can even email a system log, and EMAIL ENCRYPTED with SSL. Damn.... I hope ELK is reading this and realizing how their ELK M1 emailing capability is just outdated, especially with its inability to send encrypted ssl and system values and logs!! I am even considering getting a camera and take daily snapshots of my ELK keyboard to get status info sent over by a reliable email (and not the unsecure GMX that I must use) :)

OK, Agree that Elk emailing isn't very good. However, if it is logs and status that you want, you can load Elkrp on your computer at home and access your system remotely and get full access to all that info. It is a whole lot better then trying to use a video snapshot of your system. And if you don't want to open ports, just set up a vpn router.

Thanks Lou Apo. I tried that. Problem is the my internet connection is through my mobile operator with a 3G router. It has proven to be quit reliable except I cannot enable DDNS. The mobile provider of giving me a private IP address so it a no no the remote access. My only way to access the system is to dial in.

I guess it depends on how you want to use you system. In my case I wanted simplicity and getting daily status. I have a few rules set up and every day my M1 sends me an email. This provides me information such as, Is my internet still working?, Is there something wrong with the system? Did my delinquent teenagers put the alarm system on before leaving? ect... I also have other rules/emails that are triggered on events, water detection, freeze, etc... I have a few different emails sent depending on the status, but limited.

Now back to the camera, the way I want to use it is to use its IO input capability. To keep things as simple as possible I would use the ELK rules and output to trigger the camera to email me snapshots. One panoramic photo a day and one when outside detection is activated. Ideally what I would want to do is to receive one email a day with an embedded snapshot a few temperature readings, status, and a few logs. The camera would also keep much more content locally, preferably on its SD card. Using the SD card because the last option I want is to depend on a PC.

So a question: Since the ELK M1 is limited (sniff) in its email capability (no SSL and no dynamic info such as temperature) is there a standalone (non PC) device that could aggregate the Elk M1 information + camera snapshots and email it?

Just to throw this out there, I've done a lot of testing/work with 3G modems and routers over the years.

First: any of the big carriers actually have an option for a static IP worst case... I've done all kinds of crazy things with Verizon and Sprint - I've even gone as far as creating a private MPLS network with static IP's for each device and a permanent VPN connection into my office... and they have many options in between.

That said, if you're stuck with 3G, I found Cradlepoint routers to be awesome - they support Dynamic DNS that can handle frequent IP changes - so "myhouse.dyndns.org" will work no matter how often your IP changes. They have even more options if you ask a rep - including a centralize management website to mange a whole collection of devices.

I prefer the latter... but whatever perceived problems you have because of being on 3G are probably easy to overcome.

Thanks Work2Play,

I am happy to see that you are getting things to work well on a 3G network. In my case my issue is Bell Mobility who is my 3G provider. They are providing me a dynamic private IP address (10.x.x.x) and that is the source of my problem. The fact that it is private I cannot remote access. If they would provide me a public address I could go the way you use. I would be fine with a dynamic public address as my router can handle DDNS. I will probably end up changing provider who offer what I need, but will need to pay a cancelation penalty.

In the meantime I can access my system with an ATA (IP telephony) and use the 2nd POT line connected to the ELK phone line. I have the elk answer after the first ring. On my phone (Android) I have a SIP client and use it to dial in.....very limited but does the basic.

I considered using TEAM VIEWER that allows remote pc access, but now I start depending on a PC which I do not want. I just want a simple and effective solution. I'm afraid it will cost me a cancelation fee with Bell

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1594411-How-to-Get-a-Public-IP-Address-on-an-Internet-Stick

The above link implies it's an option if you call them or go into a store - to get a public IP, either static or dynamic... for a slight additional charge... have you talked to them specifically about this? The tricky stuff I did last year did require some coordination with the carriers to enable the special features.

Another option *might* be to have a VPN initiating device at the house that opens a VPN to somewhere else - your office, friend's house, cabin, vacation house, amazon EC2 server host, etc - then you VPN into the same place and traverse the network that way. Kind of a PITA, but you can get an Amazon cloud server for $15/month (free for the first year) - probably load VPN server software onto it, and make a sort of bridge.

Ohh yes, I have spoken to Bell often. Every call was long and painful. Conclusion: I need to change my account from consumer to business for them to provide me the public ip. To be a business client I need minimum 2 phone number?!? I don't need 2 numbers. On the other hand Rogers mobility will do it for any customer $5/month for dynamic, $10/month static

I should look into the VPN option as my elk M1 is a t the cottage, I could tunnel back home where I have a DSL(with public address). Only concern is reliability. I was using a VPN last year when I was living in the UAE (Dubai) and they were blocking thousand of web site and VOIP. To set up a reliable VPN you need dedicated hardware. Interested in knowing what device could do that? I need to look into this...or.....change provider.

Has the field changed any in the last year?
I have an M1G, a static IP, and have not tried the VPN yet, but the router supports it (ASUS N16RT w/tomato).
I now want to add a couple of cameras and trigger them from the ELK.
Looking in would also be nice.

Back