Voice Select Between Elk and Sound Card

So, after re-reading this thread, I am finally realizing I need to convert Elk's Output1 to line level before mixing it with the PC output and finally amplifying.

The manual for the mixer I have keeps talking about "balanced" and "unbalanced" signals. (here and here). Any insight as to what the Elk is? I figure a PC soundcard has tip, ring, and sleeve conductors for stereo audio (L/R/common). But is this balanced or unbalanced?

The manual for the mixer I have keeps talking about "balanced" and "unbalanced" signals. (here and here). Any insight as to what the Elk is? I figure a PC soundcard has tip, ring, and sleeve conductors for stereo audio (L/R/common). But is this balanced or unbalanced?
The Elk is "unbalanced", which mean it has a signal and a ground. Most sound cards are also unbalanced, but stereo (which is irrelevant). "balanced" is using two signal carriers (180 degrees out of phase) and no ground. Most consumer stuff is unbalanced. Most pro stuff is balanced. The converter is called a balun, which comes from BALanced-UNbalanced. Balanced versus un-balanced has nothing to do with stereo versus mono. The reason pros prefer balanced is the noise immunity.

The Elk is "unbalanced", which mean it has a signal and a ground. Most sound cards are also unbalanced, but stereo (which is irrelevant). "balanced" is using two signal carriers (180 degrees out of phase) and no ground. Most consumer stuff is unbalanced. Most pro stuff is balanced. The converter is called a balun, which comes from BALanced-UNbalanced. Balanced versus un-balanced has nothing to do with stereo versus mono. The reason pros prefer balanced is the noise immunity.

Excellent info, and it jibes with what I've been reading on Wikipedia about balanced audio. Thanks!

Don't confuse the Tip Ring Sleece of an PC Audio jack (which is intended to carry 2 channels plus ground) with a Tip Ring Sleeve that the Pros use (1/4" Plugs) which is 'balanced'...not sure why they have 3 conductors if they only need 2 for balanced...but whatever...

Don't confuse the Tip Ring Sleece of an PC Audio jack (which is intended to carry 2 channels plus ground) with a Tip Ring Sleeve that the Pros use (1/4" Plugs) which is 'balanced'...not sure why they have 3 conductors if they only need 2 for balanced...but whatever...

From what I can glean from Wikipedia, in balanced the T anr R conductors are both for signal (opposite phases of the same signal, differential amp cancels out induced noise), and sleeve is essentially a ground and shield. The PC audio is one conductor each for signal L, signal R, and ground (unbalanced).

Back