Water sensors for window wells

gunnerone

Hi,
I'm looking to maybe get started with a little home automation. I've been doing a lot of reading and googling, but there's a lot of information to understand, I figured it might be best to do some asking around. I have 4 window wells that have a tendency to collect water after it's rained. I then have a sump pump I use to pump them down. I'm looking to maybe add some water sensors to alert me, preferably by text, when they start filling up, so they don't flood into my basement. In the future I may also be adding a fixed sump pump to each window, instead of having to do it by hand.

I've come across several different sorts of water sensors like the GRI 2600/2800 or the WB-200 WaterBug. I also found this HWg-WLD device that might do what I need. Are there any sensors you'd recommend for this sort of thing? Or maybe there's a better way to do it or to integrate it with the sump pumps?

Then I figure the sensors would interface with some kind of controller that would be able to send me a text through an internet connection. Are there any suggestions on this? I'd prefer to have a stand-alone controller and not to have to use a standard computer. I may also be interested in expanding to other home automation devices in the future. I'm very new to all of this so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

This may be a silly question but - where's the water coming from? Is it seeping in from the ground or coming in through the top? Wouldn't you just want to solve the problem rather than the symptoms? If it's coming in from the top can't you cap the wells with transparent lids? For the cost of automation+pumps+time isn't it better to just get someone in to slope the land?

I don't think you want a regular water sensor, it will false if put in wet weather or from splashing etc. I would recommend a "bucket" sensor. I have one on my sump pit, works well.

Same thought, why not fix the problem, either tie the well into draintile at the footing to a sump or whatever else, in addition to working the landscaping to help, depending on the culprit.

Good questions. The water seems to be seeping in through the ground. It doesn't come up through the cement into my basement so I don't think it's ground water, but more like the water flowing across just below the surface or something. I was hoping that when I put grass in it would help the problem, but instead it seems to have made it worse. Two of the windows are by the patio so are quite a ways away from the grass, the other two are in flower beds that the grass runs up next to. Before I put in my grass I did add a french drain about 6 feet out from the windows, running along the length of my house, but it doesn't really seem to do much. It almost seems like the water flows across the top of the grass then down below the patio and flower beds till it gets to the windows. I don't know how doable it would be to regrade my yard. I think they could have done a better job of it, but how my house sits I don't know if it's really possible to get all the water to run away, mainly because the lowest level of the patio sits so low. Does this sound like something that adding drains to the windows could solve? Thanks for your ideas.

IMHO I think that you can call in a contractor who specialize in water problems to isolate the issue. Most charge a fee to do an estimate but it would be worth the $$ to find out the root of the problem before you spend the same $$ ($200-$500) as you would to FIX the issue as you would on automating the bandaid.

I have drains in the bottom of my window wells. The window wells are covered though as they are 6 feet down and I was worried about the neighbor hood kids falling in one. That said I have wireless PIRs in each well that work fine. I never see any water as there is a few inches of gravel on the bottom.

I'm guessing that the water should drain into the house surrounding drainage tiles and the overage going into your existing storm well (?) if you have one. That said maybe looking to provide drainage would solve your issue as they should drain freely?

Back