wc32 email

Forgive me, I'm new to the WC. I just bought the WC8? (has 8 digital inputs and 8 out). I'm trying to test the email and seem to be getting conflicting information. The documentation stated that the WC does not support SSL like gmail or yahoo. Is the info above regarding WC32 support SSL? Where can I find and buy the WC32? Everything i see on ebay or amazon seem to be WC8.

I have tried to register at gmx.net, but that's a german site and block all us traffic to prevent registration. Thanks.

qle said:
Where can I find and buy the WC32? Everything i see on ebay or amazon seem to be WC8.

I tried to message you directly, but the system says you can not use it. (wonder why?)

Where in the world are you?

You can get WC32 from CAI directly, or I can supply them (with or without the "shield" board that adds analog amplifiers, screw terminals, opto-isolated inputs etc etc)

qle said:
Can you send me some info on this board as well as the shield?

The WC32 is the same formfactor (size) as the WC8, however it has a significant number of enhancements.
16 digital inputs (vs 8)
16 digital outputs (vs 8)
16 temperature sensors (vs 8)
8 analog inputs (vs 3)
4 PWM output (vs none)
Faster processor, more memory.
2 RS232 (vs none)
Switchmode DC input regulator (vs linear regulator)
(There are other differences, but they're the most immediately obvious)

The "shield" or I/O board provides variable gain amplifiers for the 8 analog inputs, opto-isolators for all digital inputs, some open-drain FET outputs (4, from memory).
The I/O board also provides screw terminal connections for all the I/O that are not on the WC32 itself.

Can you post some links to the new board and shield with pictures would be greatly appreciated. More importantly, does email support SSL for gmail?

qle said:
Can you post some links to the new board and shield with pictures would be greatly appreciated. More importantly, does email support SSL for gmail?

WC32 + WC32-IO
WC32_with_IO_oblique.jpg

WC32-IO from top down.
WC32_IO_top.jpg

WC32 from top:
WC32_top.jpg

Yes, WC32 can mail to gmail.

Standard pricing is $99 for the WC32, plus $50 for the I/O board, plus shipping.
I have sent you a private message - please email me for discounted pricing.

Just noticed the WebControl 32 and Ross's adapter board are finally on eBay.

Now I just need to figure out a project complex enough the justify the WC32, so far the original WC has been sufficient, even did one home project, outdoor LED lighting, with hardwired logic no controller.

/tom

If you want to turn on fan1 that is on TTL1, when temperature reached 20C,
configure your temp sensor as C,  then in PLC

TSTGT T1 200
SET OP1 1

BTCAD said:
Is it possible to add reply fonction? Such as  

Temperature = 21degC. 
Start Fan #1 by clicking here

Possible? Yes. Straightforward? No.

How I have done it is this.
I have two ways to trigger: email, and http.
The email way requires some human co-operation - to use the right terms "ON" or "OFF", and a name that my script can identify, like OP1 or "fan1" etc.
The email server, on getting a mail from me, passes it to a script. The script parses the content and uses wget to access the appropriate webcontrol and turn things on or off.

For the http response (click here link) the link runs to one of my apache servers, which runs a cgi to parse and verify the request, then it too uses wget calls to the required webcontrol to turn stuff on or off, set limits, change actuator positions, etc.

It's easy enough to do if you do it often, but it isn't what I'd call "trivial".

CAI_Support
Yesterday, 05:32 PM
If you want to turn on fan1 that is on TTL1, when temperature reached 20C,
configure your temp sensor as C, then in PLC

TSTGT T1 200
SET OP1 1

Ok but there is no way to reply to an email from the plc...

You can not reply email to board, since WebControl does not listen on SMTP port.  It is not safe to have someone sending a junk mail to any device that turning on fan or any motor. 

But if you have another server listening to replied emails, you could set that server to analyze the reply and setup certain reply to board WEBSET command to take command you designed.   Or encode "setttloutput.cgi" string that sending proper command to board HTTP port.

CAI_Support said:
You can not reply email to board, since WebControl does not listen on SMTP port.  It is not safe to have someone sending a junk mail to any device that turning on fan or any motor. 

But if you have another server listening to replied emails, you could set that server to analyze the reply and setup certain reply to board WEBSET command to take command you designed.   Or encode "setttloutput.cgi" string that sending proper command to board HTTP port.

Why not allowing html in the email body sent by the WC?
This way it would be perfectly possible to alter a server stored bit which is requested preferably by a new SSL WEBGET command!
So far the task is complicated if security is an issue, but doable.
thanks

Efried said:
Why not allowing html in the email body sent by the WC?
This way it would be perfectly possible to alter a server stored bit which is requested preferably by a new SSL WEBGET command!
So far the task is complicated if security is an issue, but doable.

Don't hold your breath waiting for SSL for the WC8.
The processor and RAM limitations are such that I doubt it'll ever happen.

Expecting a sub-fifty-bucks board to have all the features of a hundreds-of-dollars device is unrealistic.

Back