wc32 email

rossw said:
Don't hold your breath waiting for SSL for the WC8.
The processor and RAM limitations are such that I doubt it'll ever happen.

Expecting a sub-fifty-bucks board to have all the features of a hundreds-of-dollars device is unrealistic.

yes, but lets speak about a link sent from the WC8....

Whatever you put in the email message body textarea is stored and sent with only size limitation.

WC8 does not support SSL, since its processor and RAM is so limited.  We tried few years ago, it would not work at all.  If SSL email is required, then WC32 is the solution. 

CAI_Support said:
Whatever you put in the email message body textarea is stored and sent with only size limitation.

WC8 does not support SSL, since its processor and RAM is so limited.  We tried few years ago, it would not work at all.  If SSL email is required, then WC32 is the solution. 

great, at least Windows live mail allows to use  the link without HTML, great. Your statement about SSL is also true for WEBGET? I admit that my ISP does not allow, needs a more expensive contract to be able to use certificates... But some stupid encryption would suffice...

SSL email and HTTPS are different. For SSL email, you don't need to have server certificate root, but for HTTPS client, it must install many different HTTPS signing agency's root, that is huge space.  HTTP normally can encode your own security into the WEBSET by sending a sequence only your own CGI understand, server reply also use predefined value so that both sides can be in sync.

wc32 with 4.02.11 firmware (update to 4.02.16 with same issue) is unable to send email.  Worked fine for about 10 months and as recently as 7-3-16.  Uses ssl, port 465 with un/pw auth to gmail account with "enable less secure devices to access" turned on

I have multiple boards and they behave the same

Seems to be an implementation issue with the SSL/TLS protocols as a Wireshark capture gives me:

TLSv1 Record Layer: Alert (Level: Fatal, Description: Protocol Version)
    Content Type: Alert (21)
    Version: TLS 1.0 (0x0301)
    Length: 2
    Alert Message
        Level: Fatal (2)
        Description: Protocol Version (70)

From the RFC: 

protocol_version
The protocol version the client has attempted to negotiate is
recognized but not supported. (For example, old protocol versions
might be avoided for security reasons.) This message is always
fatal.
I can only infer (google "help" can't or won't confirm) that there was a protocol  requirement change recently.  They did confirm that the published SMTP settings have not changed (smtp.gmail.com, use SSL 465 etc) are still valid

wc32 email never did work with my verizon account.  It has a related handshake error on the SSL/TLS and is also fatal

It is important for me to be able to use SMTP from a variety of providers and generally all ISPs now require secure, authenticated connections (no open relay on port 25) to relay mail

Appreciate your help

Yes,  Google and Yahoo both changed their protocols again, SSL encrypted only email is not supported any more.  They want to encrypt inside email bytes, in addition to using stunnel kind of encrypting whole packets. Our library vendor, Microchip, has not provide us any software library update yet :-(

At this time, some ISPs still support plain email, like COX, through ISP email servers. 

smithfrank said:
It is important for me to be able to use SMTP from a variety of providers and generally all ISPs now require secure, authenticated connections (no open relay on port 25) to relay mail

I have owned and operated an ISP for the last 21 years and have always (and continue to) relay mail for my directly connected customers, without requiring any authentication, based purely on their source IP being one of our own pools.

To do otherwise is downright unfriendly!

The problem (as you have described it) will continue to get worse and worse as less and less "common sense" is deployed by network operators, and networks become more and more hostile.

I abandoned email from my webcontrol boards a couple of years ago, because it is simply so unreliable. Delays due to load, greylisting, antispam and antivirus scanning, the amount of lost mail, and the lack of notification of a lost mail, made it unusable.

All my code now uses http to servers I control. It is far faster, more reliable, and permits the webcontrol to receive immediate confirmation that the response or alarm has been received by a system that will do something with it, and provides an easy two-way communication flow if required, that email never could.

Ross,  I think a lot of people don't have access to their own web servers, so that WEBSET command only is great for those who has web server access.
However, there is a web site called ThingSpeak.com,  anyone can get an account for free and use WEBSET send data to that site, then configure certain actions.

Thanks for the info.  Hopefully Microchip will have a new library available soon.  I previously used my own servers and may have to follow Ross's example and just go that route

From another customer who wants to pass this setup information for sending non-ssl email:
Code:
I just wanted to pass on some information that I discovered, in case anyone else has an issue finding an SMTP server.

There is a new a service that allows up to 1000 SMTP free emails per month, beyond that there is a charge, but very reasonable.

Go to www.smtp2go.com to setup a free account, you need to use another valid email address and password to get started

Once the account is established the server is mail.smtp2go.com, user id and password is what you entered in the setup, then the port is 2525

Works like a champ with WebControl

Bob

smithfrank said:
Thanks for the info.  Hopefully Microchip will have a new library available soon.  I previously used my own servers and may have to follow Ross's example and just go that route

Thanks, what is the message-
a) this way the WC32 config will be safer not disclosing your SMTP account to intelligence and fraudster?
b) if you want using the WC32 for spamming you might give it a try?
thanks

Back