WebControl: $35 Web- and email-enabled data acquisition and control

Marc,

I think you did a good summary of the state of what we know about the WebControl ability to do temperature measurements. I though it would be difficult to do much evaluation independent of CAI so I am curious and anxious to see what you do discover.

The only hardware interface that I have where I can control the software is the DS9097U and that is not a good unit to evaluate the WebControl because the interface is different in a critical area that allows the sensor to used without external power. If the WebControl is going to be used to interface the sensor under test then there is a lack of visibility in the timing as viewed by the firmware.

In the past when I scoped my 1-wire I saw that is was quite tolerant of variation due to line capacitance, but easily disturbed with reflected signals when branches were added. I was observing in a worst-case capacitance scenario a sawtooth-like waveform and was still able to make temperature measurements. Even with this evidence I still ran my wiring to minimze the capacitance.

It is nice that CAI has been very willing to interact on a engineering level, however they do seem to have a mindset that there is nothing wrong with their 1-wire interface design and the problems are all introduced by the user because of poor quality sensors or power.

I had sent CAI a sensor where the ROM code could not be detected and one where the sensor would lock up after awhile when powered externally. Never got any feedback on the first and they returned the second one after a short amout of testing where it did not lock up for them. They just attributed it my 5v regulated/filtered power vs their bench power. The sensor that locked up was a known Dallas-produced sensor circa early 2000's when Maxim-ic's pricing structure did not distinguish middle-men vs. end user. I though this would have been a very valuable test resource to help them isolate the issues with their firmware. I kind of gave up interacting with them after that.

I’m a newbie with the WebControl so I was wondering if anybody can help.

I’m trying to get to the “Manual†page to turn TTLs on and off, but I also want the protection of a username and password. When I’m inside my network, everything works fine: I go to 192.168.1.15, I get asked for the username and password, I get the main page, then I navigate to the Manual page and everything is fine.

However, when I come in from the outside world via port forwarding, I still get the asked the username and password, I still get the main page, but when I try to navigate to the Manual page, I get asked the username and password again. I can never make it to the Manual page.

Is this “normal� Is there a workaround? I would rather not have to reprogram the cgi, so is there some wrapper I can add?

Thanks!

Personally found the device "WebControl" having a great deal of potential, reasonably priced did not suit my needs - simply put too much baggage and no meat.

I currently utilize Midon Design Temp05, Temp08, 9097's, AAG Temperature/Humidity sensors, HB temp/humidity/sunlight, barometer, Midon combo sensors, maxim purchased sensors (no real problems over the years) arranged in two different topologies - works for me but no direct web interface.

The device that I have is still on line but I have never checked access via a wan link.

Here's a link to someone (Juan Carlos of Spain) that provided a demo of new front end for the WebControl device. Log in with user and password of "sgdomo". Only saw three posts from him - back in JAN-2010.

WebControl

Webcontrol-2

Modifying my post a bit.

CAI appears to have posted some more technical information with diagrams regarding use of said device and modified the firmware which is good.

Was wondering if anyone had any pictures of how they are connecting multiple temp sensors. i think I am going to build a patch panel with rj45 connectors daisy chained together and put rj45 ends on my temp sensor cables.

Curious to what everyone else is doing or how they are going about it.

I currently use a Leviton (2) patch panels in my media cabinet for a temp05 and a temp08. For the temperature/humidity sensors I glued white small boxes to white RG6 plates and used 2 or 3 terminal style plastic connectors to the CAT5 running to the patch panel.

In the attached picture on the top and to the left is a barometer, dual counter and HB power injector. The power injector is utilized for both the barometer on the Temp05 1-Wire network and for one 9097 network with 3 combo HB sensors on it. In the middle patch panel is a Temp08 with multiple temperature, rain gauage, lightning and weather station connections. To the right are the Temp05 and Temp08. It works today for me and its been in place about 5 years. I don't see any reflections but do have a couple of resistors in place.

dscf2001.jpg

I realize the device can only support certain sensors. But can anyone tell me the difference between these and why they would/wouldn't work?

ds18b22+
ds18b20+

Of course the above 2 can be had free as samples from Maxim. ;)

I realize the device can only support certain sensors. But can anyone tell me the difference between these and why they would/wouldn't work?

ds18b22+
ds18b20+

Of course the above 2 can be had free as samples from Maxim. ;)

I've tried both of those (from Maxim too) and neither worked with the web control board, but do work with a regular ol' 9097 serial adapter. I'm going to get some of the eBay ones mentioned earlier in the thread as these seem to be the only ones that anyone has had consistent good luck with.

Terry

I have the ds18b22+ working. I have 3 sensors all within a 3 foot area of each other. All 3 report different temps, but a large difference. It could be 5 - 8deg difference between the highest & lowest.

I knew before I bought the webcontrol the limitation of the sensors. But I have 2 other ds18b20 sensors from maxim that will not work and they insist that the sensors are -par, which they are not.

Hi All,
Complete newb to this but would really appreciate some help on sorting out how to query the web control board from another webserver and display the results on another webpage.
I've spent all afternoon (whilst I should have been outside or watching the football) and have got nowhere.
I've got the webcontrol board set-up and others can access it from the internet no problem but I can't seem to write anything for the remote web page to successfully query the temp sensors.

Regarding the temp sensor variability - I bought three from different ebay sources: 1 encapsulated & two loose t09 - The encapsulated one started with a reading of -51C, stabilised to around room temp of 21C after an hour or so and then died altogether after a couple of days. One of the t09's gives readings about 4 degrees higher than real temp and the other is reading wildly different figures over a few hours use. Seriously considering binning the lot.
Anyone care to cheer me up?
Dave

WebControl by CAI Networks is a $35 TCP/IP-based (web) device that I've used for about a year and can recommend.

Provides eight digital (TTL) in, eight TTL out, three general purpose 0-10vdc analog in, eight 1-wire temperature inputs, and a dedicated HIH-xxx humidity sensor input.

One can create rules using Boolean AND/OR logic with the various inputs including TTL-level logic, 0-10vdc analog, temperature, Relative Humidity, and Date+Time and delay timers to control the TTL outputs.

The built-in Real Time clock (RTC) can be kept accurate by Network Time Protocol (NTP).

Supports email notification upon state change.

The WebControl PCB has circuitry for RS-232 and RS-485 I/O that is not populated with ICs and are still unsupported by the firmware. I had a useful conversation with the manufacturer about the potential to support BACnet. They are up against memory constraints in the microcontroller.

I also tested various 1-wire temperature devices for them and based on that they added the more accurate DS18B20 1-wire device than the "econo" DS1822 device which was the only device they previously supported.

http://www.cainetworks.com/manuals/webcont...uide2-03-00.pdf

http://www.cainetworks.com/manuals/webcont...rWebControl.pdf

Find available suppliers through Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Webcontrol-Universal...7812&sr=1-1

Also eBay (currently more expensive. but may include the case which is steel, compact and of good quality)

IMO, quite the bargain at $34.99 + $4.49 shipping to US = $39.48 delivered.

HTH ... Marc

There is a new firmware option called PLC firmware, which allow users to write their own assembly like code to do comparison, so that board can do a lot more complex actions by itself now. The PLC firmware user guide is here, but if you purchase WebControl, you have to specify it, by default, they still ship BRE version firmware loaded boards..

http://www.cainetworks.com/manuals/webcont...uide3-00-00.pdf

Hi All,
Complete newb to this but would really appreciate some help on sorting out how to query the web control board from another webserver and display the results on another webpage.
I've spent all afternoon (whilst I should have been outside or watching the football) and have got nowhere.
I've got the webcontrol board set-up and others can access it from the internet no problem but I can't seem to write anything for the remote web page to successfully query the temp sensors.

Regarding the temp sensor variability - I bought three from different ebay sources: 1 encapsulated & two loose t09 - The encapsulated one started with a reading of -51C, stabilised to around room temp of 21C after an hour or so and then died altogether after a couple of days. One of the t09's gives readings about 4 degrees higher than real temp and the other is reading wildly different figures over a few hours use. Seriously considering binning the lot.
Anyone care to cheer me up?
Dave

To display the temperature from web server, your CGI code must be able to do GET from WebControl, also be able to process the result from GET.

For the temp sensors, I noticed the one I got from Maxim-IC web site are very reliable. Also, if the temperature fluctuate, please check the power supply voltage. If the supply voltage below 9V, it may have problem to get stable reading. If you have a power supply with variable output, you can change the supply voltage and see at what voltage you will get stable reading. Since WebControl power consumption has up and down, and during that peak, the voltage on the supply may dip, causing the temp and humidity reading not stable.

I also found the protection diode on the 1-wire bus maybe the cause for some the sensors reading problem. If remove that protection diode, some temp sensor may work better. That protection diode is on the back side of the board, connected between 3V power source and pin 3 of the temp sensor tereminal. Simply short that diode can help some temp sensors getting stable readings.

What a great idea!

The board has some great functional possibilities. Recently just took it off-line....cuz I had given up on it a bit...

The new PLC firmware looks very promising! Does anyone think that this board can be made to work with the typical 10k Goldline thermistor sensor (used to measure pool temps)?

I have been very happy with the A/D performance. I have been evaluating the Vegitronix moistrure sensor with it. The board has a regulated 5V available so should be an easy interface to a thermistor. The only thing that does not work robustly is the 1-wire interface. It is my understanding that the new firmware will not be available through normal channels, but through those that are able to provide support for the PLC programming. There likely be a future product that provides field upgradable firmware but then the price goes up so some of the attractiveness is lost. If one waits for a little while then the early bugs should be reduced in the PLC firmware and the need for field programming will be dimenished.

The new PLC firmware looks very promising! Does anyone think that this board can be made to work with the typical 10k Goldline thermistor sensor (used to measure pool temps)?

Yes. You will want a stable voltage reference and a resistor as voltage divider.

There are other configurations, but this is the simplest:

Vref --RD--+--RT--Gnd

where:

Vref is voltage reference, preferable actively current-limited to a few millilamps
RD is ~ 10K ohms =>1/8 watt resistor (but see below)
RT is 10K ohm at 20C thermistor
Gnd is analog ground = power supply ground.

Measure voltage between + and Gnd.

Set up a spread sheet with thermistor R values at temperatures of interest to calculate required R1 and Vref for voltages with the range 0 to 10 vdc max.

Put a 10 vdc v zener across the thermistor if the reference voltage is > 10vdc to provide partial protection for WebControl should the resistor short or the thermistor open and the input rises to VCC.

Like this:

Vref --R1--+--T1--+--Grnd
+-[<---+

You can use a 5vdc reference to simplify and make more robust, but will lose one bit of resolution.

(18-July-2010: I edited this because I forgot that the analog inputs are 0-10 vdc, not 0-5 vdc -- MFH )

HTH ... Marc

Back