Which Vera controller to buy?

The original poster never came back to respond and this thread was started 11 days ago!  I see that happen a lot on this message board and often wonder about it.  Anyone else ever notice that? 

The worst part is that very often times people never follow up to say what happened based on the advice they received.   So, interested readers are left wondering whether it was good advice or not. Even just a sentence or two would be better than nothing.  The result is that information leverage is lost because multiple people may end up running the same bad experiment, because the loop never gets closed.   Bad etiquette. Maybe if it could be measured in people's profiles, people would pay more attention to it.  I usually try to press the "Like this" button when people do close the loop, whatever the outcome.  I would encourage others to do the same.  There needs to be a cultural shift, where a pattern of not closing the loop is severely frowned upon.  I make an effort to post follow-ups  (e.g. http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/28600-leak-detecting-tape/page-3), and I wish others would do the same.  When it comes to information flow, I don't think it's too much to expect at least some reciprocity--especially when the advice is not frivolous.

macromark said:
The original poster never came back to respond and this thread was started 11 days ago!  I see that happen a lot on this message board and often wonder about it.  Anyone else ever notice that? 

It's definitely not just this message board. And of course they often just signed up as well, which was the case here. It's pretty rampant throughout the internet, from product shills to Russian govt. propaganda corps blasting away all over the place. Dunno if that's the case here, but it's extremely common.

To be fair, he does have a few posts, and not all of them were "hey, I heard about X, and it sounds really cool" type posts, so he's probably legit. 

I'd wager it's spam. #15 the same, but more obvious. Cocoontech ranks high in Google results, so that makes it a target for SEO's.

Within limits, I'm not bothered by spam because it's easy to just look at the source and discount appropriately, whereas a lack of follow-up is a pure loss which can't be filtered.

Any good solutions? I like the way stackexchange tries to manage these issues, but I also think a lot more can be done, provided there's the will to do it.

macromark said:

pete_c said:

Dean Roddey said:
To be fair, he does have a few posts, and not all of them were "hey, I heard about X, and it sounds really cool" type posts, so he's probably legit. 

He probably hasn't come back because he asked the same question on reddit and got more responses. The community on reddit is huge (much larger than CT) and growing rapidly.

https://www.reddit.com/r/homeautomation/comments/3nd99q/which_vera_controller_should_i_buy/

Back