Why do(n't) you like visiting CocoonTech.com?

What you don't like us HS users... ok then I will toss it out...

Oh wait...

Seriously I think the board could use more people actually post about what they have done. There always seems to be a few that share their ideas and a bunch of lurkers. The gallery is one way of doing that and the how-to's another.

Maybe some of the donated items could be given away as monthly prizes to the best new ideas for HA posted.

John

Well,

Reading Relaxes me after work.

I enjoy reading posts from other smart users. ( thats why i don't read microsoft forums ).

And there are so many cool ideas that if I where rich I would implement.

:p

Stevene

jwilson56,

What do you have against lurkers, John? :p

I come to CT to learn from the "Masters", and even from the newbies who ask questions about things I never thought of!!!!

There is a wealth of information and knowledge here, and I try to soak it up by "Lurking" several times a day.

Maybe someday when my system is even 10% of what you guys have been able to accomplish, or if I have a "new idea" and do something that "everybody else" hadn't already implemented years ago, then maybe I'll be able to contribute something meaningful.

electron, I love CocoonTech, whatever you come up with will be fine with me.

I'm here to learn!!!

Thanks for your GREAT forum.

John,

I don't think I would really call you a lurker. Most lurkers don't have 420 posts! :p

P.S. - I agree, nothing wrong with people lurking

Cocoontech's strength is its membership, no doubt about it!

I know whenever I do something with my system I try to document the project for others to learn (or tell me how I did it wrong)!

The "How-To's" are our flagship. I'm very proud of them and I feel this is what separates us from other forums.

It takes a a lot of time to do them though. I would like to do more, but only have so much time as this is a "hobby" and not a profession (i.e. the no pay part) :p

I also like the contests and the sense of community we have here (this also does not exist as strongly on other forums). I feel people would be willing to give their right arms to help someone out who really needed it.

We have a tremendous knowledge base and I agree that we should try to catagorize this knowledge better. You can see from the many "repeat" posts of "how do I..." that new members may be having trouble finding solutions they need!

I agree BSR, and the fact that instead of being greeted by a gruff RTFM even newbies like myself get a reasonable response to a reasonable question. That is how I got hooked!

Now I read it almost every day, and wish I knew more to contribute more....the time will come thanks to you guys.

electron,

First of all, CocoonTech is a great site, however there are so many great sites to keep up on. That's why I'm extremely happy with your recent (re-)addition of RSS feeds for the News/Home page. I use an aggregator (FeedDemon) and if I see a good story, I come to the site -- normally this happens 1-2/week.

Now if you could also do this on the forums, then I could find the way to follow your forums. I am able to do this for other vendor, industry, etc. forums that I follow and it is extremely useful keeping on top of things.

Keep up the great work.

Ted

Several of you have mentioned you would like to see less subforums etc. If you have any suggestions on how you would like to see things categorized, you might want to post them now, before I actually start working on this :p Thanks!

I like it pretty much how it is. What I dont like is that the Download section is hidden in the Software forum of the home automation category.

I do however like the sub forums for the market place since it keeps everything a little tidy.

I like the user groups to be hidden in a sub forum also. I just think the Download section could have a place of it own.

The downloads are definitely being moved to their own section, the new site will have a much better interface (once completed).

I don't like Cocoontech because it costs me too much money on gadgets!

:p

You definitely cannot beat the people that frequent this place and the community!

Squintz,

I really really wish I had time to read at work. I am a lone IT guy for 400+ users in 10 different offices. For a company that works 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.

Anyway,

Electron,

I think the "View New Posts" option could use a little updating.
When you click on a thread with new posts, it just leaves you at the top, unless there is more than 1 page. Not a big deal, But I hate scrolling. :p

Subforums, I don't mind how many there are. But there are some that seem to me to be very similair.

Wiring Closet - Hardware. ( General )

For Sale/Trade - Hot Deals - Marketplace.

Programming requests - Software.

Software DVR/PVR - HTPC's & PVR's

Again, I really don't mind all the Forums since I mainly use the "View New Posts" option and I really don't post all that much. And I can certainly see why you wanted to be granular in setting up the Forums.

That is just my 2 nanocents.

StevenE

deranged said:
I think the "View New Posts" option could use a little updating.
When you click on a thread with new posts, it just leaves you at the top, unless there is more than 1 page.
It works OK for me, but you have to click on the tiny icon (can we make this bigger?) to the left of the actual thread title.

Sometimes I fail to realize when a thread has spilled to another page, can we make that more obvious?

Thanks WayneW !!! So THAT is what that little thing is for!!!!

Wow, it really does eliminate the need to do a lot of scrolling!!!

Note to electron - please include a pinned "board tips and shortcuts" thread !

I learn something new here every day.

Back