window shade automation - how to pre-wire?

I don't see wiring instructions for them, but I love the Venetians! Do they work with Z Wave or HAI OP2?

good to see a wiriing diagram, but same question - do they work with Z-Wave or HAI? I'm trying to get rid of extra remotes, and "automate" the things. Picking up a 'remote" is good for "remote control" or "hands free", but I don't see how that counts as automated. And if it DOES work with Z-Wave or other automation technology, why doesn't it say so in a way that a normal person like me can understand?!?! :blink:

Hello-I am currently running a Lutron Radio RA2 system which is tied to my Omni Pro II via a serial link. The system has functioned without any hiccups. The WAF seems to be increasing as she likes when the driveway sensor picks up the car and will turn the lights on and then shut them off after 2 minutes-when dark. Now she wants all of the light switches automated. OK! As far as the blinds they run off either AA or D cell batteries, depending on the size of the shade. Supposedly the batteries will last up to 5 years and the shades come with an 8 year warranty. I have a demo unit and people are amazed and the ease of use and quietness of the drive motor.

Lutron Radio RA2 - does that control a Venetian (horizontal) shade? I hate to ask a simple question like that, but the products aren't easy to find :(

As far as the blinds they run off either AA or D cell batteries, depending on the size of the shade. Supposedly the batteries will last up to 5 years and the shades come with an 8 year warranty. I have a demo unit and people are amazed and the ease of use and quietness of the drive motor.

Automated shades will require to be powered in any installation situation. There are 3 main power option to choose from: battery, low voltage and high voltage. Each has its pros and cons, but the most important factor in choosing the power option is the size of the shade to be controlled (not only dimensions but the type and weight of the fabric and the radius of the tube). Lots of people swear by battery powered shades, but they most likely have small windows and/or not operating the shades too often. I have somfy RTS shade that was installed more than 6 years ago and originally came with dual battery pack and manufacture's statement that it will be good for 2 years. 8 months later the battery died and I had to wait a month to get a replacement, and while the warranty covered the cost, the shade was not operable during the wait time. Changing the battery was no easy matter either as the shade was mounted high up, next thing it stopped working 6 months later. I gave up and bought a transformer and tried to hide the wire as best as I could, and since had no issues for almost 5 years. I made sure my next shades were pre-wired for power, and I put in a high voltage wire for the largest shades. Even if the shades that you choose are battery-powered I would still run a power wire to the location of battery box and switch it to the transformer to have a piece of mind.

Got a great response from Bill at automatedshadeinc.com:

read the forum discussion and your motorization will really depend on your local codes and compliance. I live in Pennsylvania where its still the land of little regulation so I can run line and low voltage without an electrician...it just has to pass an inspection. And in our state, YES...I can put a low voltage transformer in a gang box. Low voltage wiring in our state does not have to be run to "J" boxes and can be run right into the window jambs and the connection to the shade done with butt splices or Phoenix connectors. You might want to check your local codes to see what governing regs apply before doing any wiring!

And yes the lutron shades are sick but you can only control them with a proprietary RF Pico remotes or integrate them for another $130.00 per shade into a RadioRa2 system repeater. We are also a Lutron Dealer

Somfy motors has an open architecture that integrates with many poplular systems and Somfy motors fit in many different blind types. The motors and controls are affordable.

The RS485 motor can be controlled via a ZDMI or serial command strings sent via an RS485 and use 16/4 wire. These motors were designed for their "TaHoma" system. You cannot control them any other way.

We prewire many homes. We home run 16/4 to all openings 120" and under = Low Voltage. Using 16/4 wire you can use all Somfy low voltage motors and all Lutron motors. If the opening is larger then you will need to run 14/3 for and AC motor. I would try to stay away from AC motors though as your blind types are limited! If the opening is larger than 120" use 2 or 3 runs of 16/4.

We also motorize (in house) most of the Hunter Douglas shade line including the Silhouette, Vignette and new Pirouette with Somfy motors and controls and many other manufacturers as well.

For a venetian blind, Somfy makes an affordable RF tilt motor that will just tilt the slats, not raise and lower...but the tilt is all you really need. You could integrate the motor with a "ZRTSI" and also control it independently with a Telis Remote or DecoFlex wall switch so you will have two platforms of operation. No other motor offers that...

Heres a link to the tilt motor: http://www.automated...nds-pid120.html If you watch the videos we have on the page, I show you how to install and program the motor. We can also do it for you.

I attached some info on the ZRTSI. It just came out. We will be integrating 14 shades into CasaVerde ZWave system next month.

To help you with your prewire, first choose the types of blind you want in your home. This will really dictate what motors you will be using.

Hope all this helps.

Bill

Back