Wired-in power monitoring per circuit

jmagnuss

I'm spec'ing out a system to monitor various things in my cabin, and looking at using Indigo and Insteon, based on some reading and reviews.

I've had issues recently with power usage spiking, and I'm not sure currenty whether it's things being left on, a contractor using excessive power, or  even theft (there are exterior outlets).

I've seen the TED and Aeon power panel monitors, which look great for monitoring overall usage at the panel level, but I would *love* to be able to monitor usage for individual circuits from the panel.  For instance, monitoring the 30A line to the hot tub, the 15A line to the exterior outlets, etc...
Any suggestions for monitoring those circuits, other than plug-in monitors at the outlet?  That won't work for either of those two applications.

Also, we have a main panel in the utility shed, and a sub-panel in the cabin.  Budget aside, I wouldn't mind putting one of those panel-level monitors on each, but the utility shed is about 200' from the cabin, not sure if the Insteon transmitter will work from that distance (huge heavy-duty cable between).

Many thanks, this is the first of many questions I'm sure I'll be digging into here, great forum :)

You might want to look at Zigbee. Load controlling devices measure the power usage of their loads. I have a Zigbee controller switching my pool pumps so can tell exactly how much power they use. If you use HAI Zigbee modules with a HAI panel, PC Access will display the power used by that device.  (Using the latest firmware.)

Make sure you have some time on your hands before clicking on that link :rockon:

There are lots of details there, in a good way of course.

I own a brultech GEM, just got it a month or so ago.  Love it.  Amazing piece of hardware, and I have nothing bad to say about it at all.

Back