Wireless Access Point

ouch :D :lol:

It's also a matter of convenience, i.e. my carPC insists on connecting to my neighbors network, which means it can't synchronize any of my files, and there isn't much I can do about it without using a 3rd party wireless network manager such as WinC.

Skibum said:
You guys must live on the other side of the tracks or something... or just plain paranoid.
You all don't wear tin foil hats to ward off aliens do you? :lol:

What about:

Your Mailbox
Your Telephone Line
Your plastic credit cards
un encrypted email
cell phone calls
the power line
your rfid gas wand
fake police
offensive drivers
your drivers license
I won't need to wear the hat once I've finished lining my apartment walls with metal screening and aluminum foil.

Seriously, though, many of the things you list have pretty explicit laws governing what's legal and what isn't and well-defined punishments for violations of those laws.

just be sure that it is German aluminum that you are using.. I hear that American screens are full of holes.... :lol:

electron said:
ouch :D :lol:

It's also a matter of convenience, i.e. my carPC insists on connecting to my neighbors network, which means it can't synchronize any of my files, and there isn't much I can do about it without using a 3rd party wireless network manager such as WinC.
E, can't you specify your home wireless network as a preferered network, and have windows ONLY connect to a preferred network (works for me and thre are at least 2 neighbors whose networks are in range of mine). My PC ONLY connectes to my network withthese options checked... Is your Car PC not WinXP?

Yep that's what I think about all day long is someone getting on my wireless network, that has a range of about 60 feet on a good day, and sending a terrorist letter. :lol:

It must be different in the south. I know all of my neighbors and I would trust all of them using my service. The only problem is unless they are in my yard they aren't going to be able to use it.

My wireless is open to all. I'm one of those who say "It'll never happen to me."

On a similar note... it makes me laugh when someone tells me they do not shop online because they do not want to enter their credit card number over the web yet that same person will give the same credit card to the waiter at the local restaurant who disappears into the backroom for 20 minutes.

John,

I do use XP, but due to the way my system is setup, I can't tell it to JUST connect to prefered networks. The problem is even bigger with my PDA, which insists on connecting everywhere, even when it is told to only connect to my known networks.

Thanks for that Rupp... I agree wholeheartedly!

EXACTLY, remoteshoppe.

I knew this would be a fun topic! :lol:

Skibum said:
You guys must live on the other side of the tracks or something... or just plain paranoid.
You all don't wear tin foil hats to ward off aliens do you? :lol:
Ummm, how did you know, did you tap into my wireless camera one day?

My opinion - it takes a matter of minutes to configure basic wireless security - so why not use it?

We spend many many hours installing and configuring a home security system - and yet someone can sit in your driveway and wreak havoc within a matter of minutes. Basic wireless security is like a burgular alarm for your house... a determined criminal will still get in... but they will usually just go to the first house that doesn't have one.

Besides that - once someone is on a network (of an automated house), they can control many automation systems - including disarming the security system...

Why not? Because it is needless overhead. (unless necessary)
Exact same reason I would never use antivirus software.

You guys may have fancy security systems and I don't doubt their need, but around here we often leave the door open. :lol:

Well its true that the liklyhood of someone getting on your wifi network and using it for illegal activity is minimal. The protection of your own data is key!

I am a Sr. network security engineer by day and I know first hand even with a WEP, WPA and MAC address filtering enabled wifi is still extremly insecure. With a copy of Knoppix and a laptop you could break into 90% of wireless networks within a half hour.

So if you have to use wireless, which many people do. Setup security as tightly as possible, and to adquetly protect your personal data place it on a file server on another network segment and setup a strict acl list between the two networks.

No paranoia here.

Ski,
We must be cut from the same cloth. I think security systems are homeowner trap. I have never met a single person who's security system tripped because of an attempted breakin. Most have told of many stories of how lightning or they themselves or a relative set them off though. I do not even carry a house key. I use the keypad on the garage door. We never lock our door that leads to the garage door and the last time I was on vacation the neighbor borrowed my drill and locked the garage door. I had to break into my own house. It's a good thing I didn't have a security system. I finally put a key in the bushes in case that door gets locked again.

ok, here is a good example of how this could become an issue, it's only a matter of time before this actually happens.

A child molestor realizes that many families have insecure networks, and some of them even have wireless cameras, so he gets his laptop, installs some free software, and now he can drive around until he finds a family which has kids and a wireless network. With a few clicks of the mouse, he can now access the network, and find out what computers the kids use.

Since it's almost a given that the machines won't be up to date, he can now install real spyware on their machines, and monitor their activity. He could also start messaging the kids using the Windows Messenger service (or through a screen capture, he can find out what user names they have on AOL, MSN, etc.), and find them online.

I am sure I don't have to continue since most of you should be able to figure out what could happen next. Is this far fetched? Maybe, but it only takes 1 crazy person, and there are thousands of predators out there, just watch the news for a few minutes. I sincerely hope that if you are a parent, and you insist on having a wireless network, that you go with the latest technology which supports WPA/WPA2, and have it locked down as much as possible. Most people don't care if their data gets stolen, but there is much more at stake than just a few emails.

bfisher said:
Basic wireless security is like a burgular alarm for your house... a determined criminal will still get in... but they will usually just go to the first house that doesn't have one.

Besides that - once someone is on a network (of an automated house), they can control many automation systems - including disarming the security system...
I agree with your first statement.

As far as the second though, if someone has the "disarm" function of a secure alarm system (such as a Caddx) available via his home automation network, they really, really need to re-examine and re-think their setup!!! :lol:

Back