Wireless Access Point

coincidentally, I received an email newsletter this morning (I'm sure others here get it) that talked about WiFi security. Not sure if I can post (copyrights, etc) so I'll summarize...

- security is important (doh!)
- hiding SSID and MAC filtering is absolutely useless, only takes seconds to overcome
- WEP is almost useless. A hacker can break within a few minutes
- Need to use new WPA or WPA2 security standards. Apparently any b equipment doesn't support this, only g.

electron said:
I just do security for living

electron said:
I am sure I don't have to continue since most of you should be able to figure out what could happen next. Is this far fetched? Maybe, but it only takes 1 crazy person, and there are thousands of predators out there, just watch the news for a few minutes. I sincerely hope that if you are a parent, and you insist on having a wireless network, that you go with the latest technology which supports WPA/WPA2, and have it locked down as much as possible.
electron- this made me laugh... you must be very good at what you do ;-)

Hehe... that antenna is over 18 inches long, 3 inches thick, and the cable going to it is 1/2 inch thick, and not terribly pliable.

Trenchcoat... I think not. :lol:

rocco said:
You could actually hide this in the sleeve of your trench coat as you wander the rainy streets of London surreptitiously searching your next victim, who is completely unaware that his lights are about to be turned off.
:lol:

For giggles a while back I set up a Cisco 350AP with a simple 64 bit WEP key. Fired up Knoppix STD and let it chunk at it to see if it could get the key. After a couple of days I gave up....

Of course I'm as far from an expert on this stuff as you can get, I'm just guessing there must be better tools than the one I was using around....

Chakara said:
After a couple of days I gave up....
My understanding is that there is a reference number in each packet, and that you need to capture the full cycle of reference numbers in order to decipher the key (the reference numbers are encrypted, but predictable). On a heavily trafficked business network, it might take a few hours. On a home network, it could take days, or even weeks.

As far as the 3 foot yagi or even the 18 inch one you don't always need either. When I turn my wireless on I can only get 15 - 20 feet from the router with either of two laptops and a tablet that I have. With the same laptops I can get great connections on three different neighbors wifi so I assumed I just had a lousy wireless router. However, I have a buddy that came over with his laptop and got on my network. When he got to the end of the street, five houses down he got tired of walking with the laptop and started to feel silly so he came back but at that point he still had full signal strength.

Kind of funny reading this thread and everyone's perspective on security. It's well know that most home consumer based WAP protection can be easily cracked. It's also well known that just about every home consumer based lock can be defeated. This doesn't mean you leave your doors unlocked. Deterrents work. When I want to gain access while scanning for wireless in my car, I'll save myself the hassle and use the unencrypted link. Someone needs to be motivated to spend the effort to gain access to a secured access point when 90% are unsecured. If they want in, you won't stop them no matter what. But for the paranoid, you can do many things to add another layer of protection, such as honeypots, etc.

Im sure a few of you may say you leave the doors unlocked, but that is being naive IMHO.

A simple directional antenna can pick up signals over 2 miles away. Glad to see a few of you decided to at least enable WEP based on this discussion! WPA is the best choice, but not all can use it because of card or router support.

Call me naive. Not only do I not lock my garage door I do not have a single dead bolt lock installed. The house never had them. I would rather have someone be gentle on my expensive wooden doors. :lol:

Back