Wiring my house for Network! Yet another thread!

If there are existing holes in the rim joist for other wires with enough room for what you need then go for it. I would recommend not using holes that are used for utility power wires - you may get noise pickup. Or drill another hole. If you are automating your house you must overcome your fear of drilling holes, Grasshopper. :) The rim joist is normally supported by the foundation all along it's length so is just in compression. In that case holes wouldn't cause any structural issues.

Correct. I will try to stay away as much as I can from HV wires.

Based on what I have seen so far, and you guys can correct me because I dont know much about house construction, heck I have never seen one closely being constructed, but I think there is enough space above the rim joist and the floor. I know it doesnt make sense but with the number of holes and wires going through, from the garage to the crawl space, makes me think either there is enough space or drilling through the rim joist is not a big deal :unsure:

But again, if I am going to mount this flush, I will cutout a hole in the drywall on the garage side. Now the there are studs on top of rim joist with drywall on either side. So if I drill through the floor I will be in the opening I created. Do the studs go on the rim joist or they put the floor first and then the studs ?

Heck, I am getting impatient ! Feel like just cutting a hole and see it for myself :nono: . *takes a deep breath and repeats "take it easy" 20 times*

Here is what is typical:

https://theweatherstrip.com/images/bandjoist_7zqy.png

The sill plate sits on the foundation.
The joists and rim joist sit on the sill plate.
The subfloor goes on next.
Then the wall bottom plate, then the vertical studs.

Other things may be common in other parts of the country but I think this should apply to your area. Crazy things sometimes get done though, especially on very old houses.

Always check what is on the other side of where you are drilling. :eek:

Here is the cheap and dirty hand drawn floor plan of the garage area:

How do I put pics in the post without uploading them to some other site....something like done in thisthread.

Thanks for the tip W2P.

Garage-Floor-Plan.jpg

I am planning to put the patch panel on the same wall as the MCB and the phone jack. Stay tuned, I will put up a pic for that wall with some measurements.

Here is a pic of the wall I am planning to mount the patch panel on.

Proposed-Mounting-Wall.jpg

I am not sure if I want to mount it to the left of MCB or above/below it. Dont know how the existing wires run.

Also, here is a pic of the phone, cable and Moose power cables entering the crawl space from the garage.

Wires-Into-Crawl-Space.jpg

The rightmost one is the 18V power cable that connects to the security panel.

The black is the comcast cable wire.

The leftmost one is the phone cable that shows up near the crawl space access area.

Here is the cheap and dirty hand drawn floor plan of the garage area:

How do I put pics in the post without uploading them to some other site....something like done in thisthread.

Thanks for the tip W2P.

View attachment 4460

I noticed that my thread has been mentioned a few times here already... all of the pictures that I have uploaded here are indeed uploaded to a 3rd party site (Imageshack to be exact), and inserted into my various posts via the img tags. I choose to do this so that I can upload images to a single location and use the same links for various forums - rather than having to upload them to each forum individually while also eating up their storage space.

Note, the reason I chose to use Imageshack was simply because my work had Photobucket blocked for a long time (and it might still be). So when I would visit forums during break times I was never able to see images that people had hosted on Photobucket. I wanted to ensure that I could see my own images...

Feel free to post any questions you may have in my thread, or contact me via PM if you have any specific questions regarding my installation... it's still a work in progress!

I noticed that my thread has been mentioned a few times here already... all of the pictures that I have uploaded here are indeed uploaded to a 3rd party site (Imageshack to be exact), and inserted into my various posts via the img tags. I choose to do this so that I can upload images to a single location and use the same links for various forums - rather than having to upload them to each forum individually while also eating up their storage space.

Note, the reason I chose to use Imageshack was simply because my work had Photobucket blocked for a long time (and it might still be). So when I would visit forums during break times I was never able to see images that people had hosted on Photobucket. I wanted to ensure that I could see my own images...

Feel free to post any questions you may have in my thread, or contact me via PM if you have any specific questions regarding my installation... it's still a work in progress!

Thanks for the offer. I might take you up on it.

Is any tinkerer's job ever done. Its always a work in progress :p

That's one of my wife's biggest complaint. "Are you ever DONE with any of your projects" B) .

Hmm. I think I would have to make my 'phases' such as, "Run Cat5 from SMC to office" to get anything 'completed'... and then my list would be SOO long, I don't know if I would even want to attempt it :) My honest problem is that I have far too many hobbies. I jump into HA for a couple of months, then into photography, car work (e.g. detailing as of late), while playing various sports in recreational leagues, and traveling for work.... then I will get asked to do jobs for friends/family (usually compensated in some way or another)... so I end up spending very little time on each 'hobby' which is mainly why mine take so long to accomplish. </whining> :)

Make your phases smaller so that every little thing is an accomplishment/finish!

I am still working on that, dont bite more than you can chew, you know :nutz:

But my ambition gets the better of me.

I think everybody in the household has kinda accepted that I will have multiple projects going on at the same time. As long as it doesnt hinder their day to day life or my wife doesnt see "stuff" right in the middle of the family room, its fine.

Now you know what I mean, that I spend most of my time in the garage anyways :ph34r:

Hmm. I think I would have to make my 'phases' such as, "Run Cat5 from SMC to office" to get anything 'completed'... and then my list would be SOO long, I don't know if I would even want to attempt it :) My honest problem is that I have far too many hobbies. I jump into HA for a couple of months, then into photography, car work (e.g. detailing as of late), while playing various sports in recreational leagues, and traveling for work.... then I will get asked to do jobs for friends/family (usually compensated in some way or another)... so I end up spending very little time on each 'hobby' which is mainly why mine take so long to accomplish. </whining> :)

Oh! that sounds so much like me! :icon_pai:

You forgot another big one, computers and maintaining all the servers in the house.

I spend most of my time *building* stuff that I never have the time to sit down and watch and and enjoy it.

Ah! but the satisfaction of building it and the family using it without any issues ..... priceless !!

I am confused between 28" can vs 42" can.

These are the ones

Elk 28" Enclosure

and

Suttle 42" Enclosure

I want to go 42" but I am not sure if I have the space between the wall and the MCB box with leaving enough on each side.

I dont want to mount it too low because if I want to keep a work bench/desk there, it would interfere.

Mount it above the MCB box?

Back