Would self monitoring work?

DELInstallations said:
Dogs never stop a burglar or are a deterrent. I've seen those sorts of beliefs after the fact.

Well, theoretically, according to law enforcement, dogs, security, light motion detectors, cameras, would deter 99% of all would be burglars because they would choose the path of least resistance.  They would typically choose a residence with nobody at home as well, so if someone responded, that burglar likely would've pretended to be a door to door saleman or whatever trying to sell a service rather than break in.  

So those that would try to overcome a security system or a dog likely would've been the 1% because they know that there's something worth their time for the breakin or there's little to no risk.  

Yup; the burglar here carried a "toy" gun which really doesn't make sense. He broke the door when no one answered. 

I am wondering what he would have done with the gun had someone answered the door.

DELInstallations said:
Dogs never stop a burglar or are a deterrent. I've seen those sorts of beliefs after the fact.
That's a very broad statement.  I would be interested to know what you base that on.

I have read many places that dogs tend to reduce break ins.  Not that they are 100% effective but just reduce the chances..

You would think that they would reduce break-ins that are motivated by ease and the opportunity to quickly smash and grab. No different from reinforced doors and windows, and an alarm system.

If a thief is looking for a quick score why would they deal with a house that has doors that are hard to kick in and a snarling 90 pound dog, when the neighbor next door has flimsy doors and a indoor cat.

If the motivation is home invasion, or a they want to harm a specific person known to the criminal then I guess a dog is just another thing they will plan for. No dog, alarm, or lock will stop a motivated person if they have enough time.

JimS said:
That's a very broad statement.  I would be interested to know what you base that on.

I have read many places that dogs tend to reduce break ins.  Not that they are 100% effective but just reduce the chances..

One of many links and studies: http://realestate.aol.com/blog/2012/11/15/guard-dogs-burglars-home-security/

Intruders don't like attention, however if they want to, it's easy enough to distract or get a dog out of the way. Smash and grab is one thing, a crime of opportunity is another, as is a more refined intrusion attempt.

I've installed systems in the breeder and trainer's homes and kennels for the state police here....they're the first ones to tell you flat out that a dog will not mitigate the risk, same as a firearm.

DELInstallations said:
Trying as best I can to think as a crook, if I hear a barking dog then I'm moving on to the next house. 1) I don't want to get bit by the thing, 2) I don't want it creating a ruckus that alerts the neighbors that something is wrong, and 3) trying to do anything with a dog constantly barking in my ear is very annoying.

snakevargas said:
Trying as best I can to think as a crook, if I hear a barking dog then I'm moving on to the next house. 1) I don't want to get bit by the thing, 2) I don't want it creating a ruckus that alerts the neighbors that something is wrong, and 3) trying to do anything with a dog constantly barking in my ear is very annoying.

It really depends on the crook.  Some of them know that dogs often aren't as fearsome as they sound.  Many are unhappy at being home alone and are happy to see absolutely anybody.   I've see German shepherds and rottweilers that bark like crazy at a sound, but roll right over for a belly rub when a stranger walks in.

So while a dog might scare of some potential thieves, it is far from a guarantee that you won't get robbed.  Figure it will cut the odds 30 to 50%.  Not bad, but you still need a backup.

From what I've read though, pretty much majority of the victims to theft and burglary are simply the result of people leaving their cars or homes unlocked and/or with keys readily accessible.  So simply locking the doors would prevent majority of home owner's problems.  Add that to a dog, security system, you have 99% of theft and burglary covered.  As for the remaining 1%, there's really not much you can do about it, and biggest possible deterrent in this scenario when the owner is home would be the possibility of the home owners having a gun in a state that doesn't criminalize self defense.  

But there's still a chance that the burglar is stupid, on drugs and desperate.  And there's no way you can prevent stupidity.  

But there's still a chance that the burglar is stupid, on drugs and desperate.  And there's no way you can prevent stupidity. 

Sad but there is a bunch more of this type of "stupidity" today....

Attached a little movie clip...will remove it if it offends anybody...

Alarming in STAY mode during the daytime would be an awfully inconvenient precaution for what is hopefully a very unlikely occurrence.  

What's the practical alternatives?  Scream detectors?  Panic button portals all over the place, almost like the Andromeda Strain?  I'd actually like to know.  There's got to be some practical alternatives to the inconvenient STAY option.

Believe it or not, the majority of break ins occur during the day. I used to tell customers the basic fact. I could walk around your house almost all day with a clipboard and a tape measure and 9/10 people would not look sideways of give a second thought.

Stay isn't really a huge issue...it bypasses interior detection and if the perimeter is armed, the only item that comes into play is if windows don't have vent switches, linear travel or security screens, that would be an issue, as would constantly opening/closing doors. Generally I've found a suitable option to use bypass returnable zones and then modify the end user behavior. YMMV.

I can't comment about what sort of level of system and integration you would want, but there are plenty of options out there to fit the bill that are only limited by your budget and ability to pull cabling.

NeverDie said:
Alarming in STAY mode during the daytime would be an awfully inconvenient precaution for what is hopefully a very unlikely occurrence.  

What's the practical alternatives?  Scream detectors?  Panic button portals all over the place, almost like the Andromeda Strain?  I'd actually like to know.  There's got to be some practical alternatives to the inconvenient STAY option.

Rather than having panic buttons all over the place, you could use a wireless pendant to trigger a panic alarm.

Back