ELK volume change with automation rules

signal15

Is there a way to change the volume with automation rules? I'd like to put a sensor on the door to the baby's room, so if it was closed, the volume would be turned down for voice announcements.

Another option would be to use the ELK-TWA (two way amp). This gives you up to three zones of audio to use with the ELK. You can turn on or off those zones independantly using outputs 7-10 11-13 on the ELK board. So you could have a speaker in the nursery on it's own zone and turn it off when the door is closed.

Another option would be to use the ELK-TWA (two way amp). This gives you up to three zones of audio to use with the ELK. You can turn on or off those zones independantly using outputs 7-10 on the ELK board. So you could have a speaker in the nursery on it's own zone and turn it off when the door is closed.

I have one of these, but haven't finished hooking it up yet. I thought it was only for Mic inputs, but the audio output still used Out 1 on the control. Is this not the case?

Another option would be to use the ELK-TWA (two way amp). This gives you up to three zones of audio to use with the ELK. You can turn on or off those zones independantly using outputs 7-10 on the ELK board. So you could have a speaker in the nursery on it's own zone and turn it off when the door is closed.

I have one of these, but haven't finished hooking it up yet. I thought it was only for Mic inputs, but the audio output still used Out 1 on the control. Is this not the case?

While the sound will come from output 1 (EDIT - well not really directly from output1 because the line voltage is different - but the audio feed is the same as that of Output1), you can control both the mic and the speakers independantly. I did have the output numbers incorrect in my first post - it is really outputs 11,12 and 13. Here is the important portion of the installation guide - note the special option because that is what you want.

ELK-TWA installation manual said:
4. Connect the speaker(s) and or microphone(s) as per diagram below. The M1TWA has 3 separate zones for microphones and speakers. Each
zone has its own amplifier and volume adjustment. The control activates specific voltage outputs thru the 12 conductor cable in order to control
the M1TWA. When two-way listen-in is active the control turns on outputs 7, 8, or 9 (or all three) to select mic zones 1, 2, 3 respectively.
Output 10 is also turned on while listen-in is active to collectively mute all spkr zones.
Special Option: Three jumpers on the board labeled "Override" allow you to selectively mute any of the 3 spkr zones utilizing the M1 Rules.
Simply place a shorting jumper on any of these option jumpers 11, 12, 13 and then write a rule to turn on output 11, 12, or 13 to selectively mute
spkrs 1, 2, or 3 respectively. This can be especially handy to turn off specific speakers during special hours or conditions.

I confirmed this with Elk directly and they actually provided me with wiring instuctions to substitute the output 1 feed with someother user provided audio input. My plan is to use a relay to switch between Output1 from the ELK and audio annoucements from my CQC system. I'll still use outputs 11, 12, and 13 to mute certain zones (like kids bedrooms) during certain times (at night, etc).

If you already have the TWA, then this is probably your best solution IMHO. That way you can leave your relay (if not already used) for something else. The TWA was designed to function like this, so let it do it's job. Plus it will allow you to finish the two way aspect of your system. ;)

While the sound will come from output 1, you can control both the mic and the speakers independantly. I did have the output numbers incorrect in my first post - it is really outputs 11,12 and 13. Here is the important portion of the installation guide - note the special option because that is what you want.

ELK-TWA installation manual said:
4. Connect the speaker(s) and or microphone(s) as per diagram below. The M1TWA has 3 separate zones for microphones and speakers. Each
zone has its own amplifier and volume adjustment. The control activates specific voltage outputs thru the 12 conductor cable in order to control
the M1TWA. When two-way listen-in is active the control turns on outputs 7, 8, or 9 (or all three) to select mic zones 1, 2, 3 respectively.
Output 10 is also turned on while listen-in is active to collectively mute all spkr zones.
Special Option: Three jumpers on the board labeled "Override" allow you to selectively mute any of the 3 spkr zones utilizing the M1 Rules.
Simply place a shorting jumper on any of these option jumpers 11, 12, 13 and then write a rule to turn on output 11, 12, or 13 to selectively mute
spkrs 1, 2, or 3 respectively. This can be especially handy to turn off specific speakers during special hours or conditions.

I confirmed this with Elk directly and they actually provided me with wiring instuctions to substitute output 1 with someother user provided audio input. My plan is to use a relay to switch between Output1 from the ELK and audio annoucements from my CQC system. I'll still use outputs 11, 12, and 13 to mute certain zones (like kids bedrooms) during certain times (at night, etc).

If you already have the TWA, then this is probably your best solution IMHO. That way you can leave your relay (if not already used) for something else. The TWA was designed to function like this, so let it do it's job. Plus it will allow you to finish the two way aspect of your system. ;)

Can you post those wiring instructions? This would be quite handy.

Can you post those wiring instructions? This would be quite handy.

Here is my correspondence with Elk. My questions are in blue and Elks response is in red. If you didn't pick up on it from the original post of mine - I have not actually implemented this in my system yet. However, I cannot image it will be a problem given the response from Elk support.

email with ELK support said:
I have a quick question concerning the M1TWA. The installation manual mentions that the audio and microphone inputs from the ELK are "line level"

TWA installation manual said:
5. Connect the 8 conductor cable from connector J7 on the Control to connector J2 on the M1TWA. This feeds the line level audio and mic inputs.
Is the output from the ELK the standard line level voltage that most audio devices use?
Ultimately, what I would like to do is place a relay in-between the ELK board (J7 output) and the M1TWA (J2 input) that would allow me to switch between the ELK line level audio outputs and the line level outputs from my home automation system. This would allow me to use the M1TWA for both ELK announcements and home automation system announcements.
I realize that this isn't something that ELK supports, but can you tell me if it should work?

Directing a line level audio source into the M1TWA should not be a problem. NOTE: The Speakers connected to the M1TWA are MUTED until Output 10 turns on (which is done automatically whenever the M1G has the listen-in feature enabled and needs to make an announcement). To override this you would need to turn Output 10 on with a rule. Output 10 is located on M1TWA at J3-pin 9 and J4-pin 9.

If the input voltages are standard, could you please forward me a wiring diagram of the J7 ELK output? Something that would show which pins are the + and - for the speakers and which are for the mics or other uses.

The external line level Audio Signal (+) should be applied to J2-pin 5 or J1-pin 5. The external line level Audio Signal (-) should be applied to J2-pin 6 or J1-pin 6.

When any or all of the three outputs (Out7 = J3/J4-pin 12, Out8 = J3/J4-pin 11, Out9 = J3/J4-pin 10) are ON and output 10 (J3/J4-pin 9) is OFF, the signal from the mic(s) will be present on J1/J2-pin 7.

Elk-TWA1.gif

Elk-TWA.gif

About to begin installing my Elk system tomorrow, and I must say - the level of user support and manufacturer support is most impressive.

Back