Rules for heating

dd16

Hello I was wondering if someone could look over these rules and let me know if they should work properly. I do not have access to the system at the moment but I wanted to have these rules and definitions setup properly before I test.
I have confirmed the temperatures are reading properly and the relay for output 18 is working.
What I would like it to do is check if the temperature outside is above 67 and if it is then don’t run the pumps at all

Zone 003 – Room to be heated (2A)- ELK-M1ZTS
Def: 33 = Temperature
Type: 2 – Normally Open

Zone 013 HEATSWITCH
Definition: 16 = Non Alarm

Zone 016 – Outdoor Air Temp - ELK-M1ZTS
Definition: 16 = Non Alarm

Output 18 - Circulation pump for heat

5) WHENEVER HEATSWITCH (Zn 13) BECOMES SECURE
AND 2A Space Temp (Zn 3) ACTUAL TEMPERATURE IS LESS THAN 76 DEG. F
THEN TURN 2A Circ Pump (Out 18) ON
6) WHENEVER HEATSWITCH (Zn 13) BECOMES SECURE
AND 2A Space Temp (Zn 3) ACTUAL TEMPERATURE IS GREATER THAN 76 DEG. F
THEN TURN 2A Circ Pump (Out 18) OFF
15) WHENEVER EVERY 45 SECONDS
THEN UNBYPASS HEATSWITCH (Zn 13)
16) WHENEVER EVERY 60 SECONDS
AND Outdoor Air Temp (Zn 16) ACTUAL TEMPERATURE IS GREATER THAN 67 DEG F
THEN BYPASS HEATSWITCH (Zn 13)

I would be adding more rules for zones similar to zone Zn 3 and separate outputs but want to make sure the set of rules would work first.
Thanks.

If I understand correctly what you are trying to do, I don't think the rules will work as you are expecting.

I think you are trying to enable the pump if the indoor temp is below 76 and the outdoor temp is 67 or less. Otherwise, the pump should be off.

The problem is that when you bypass/unbypass the heat switch zone, it will not generate an event that will trigger rule 5 or 6. Those rules are waiting for the heat switch to change states from not-secure to secure. When the zone is bypassed those rules will be ignored, and when you unbypass the zone, the rules will no longer be ignored, but since the heat switch state does not change, the rules will not execute until it does change.

I think this will do what you want:

5) WHENEVER HEATSWITCH (Zn 13) BECOMES NOT SECURE
THEN TURN 2A Circ Pump (Out 18) OFF // turn off the heat

15) WHENEVER EVERY 60 SECONDS
AND HEATSWITCH (Zn 13) IS SECURE
AND Outdoor Air Temp (Zn 16) ACTUAL TEMPERATURE IS LESS THAN 68 DEG F
AND 2A Space Temp (Zn 3) ACTUAL TEMPERATURE IS LESS THAN 76 DEG. F
THEN TURN 2A Circ Pump (Out 18) ON // turn on the heat

16) WHENEVER EVERY 60 SECONDS
AND 2A Space Temp (Zn 3) ACTUAL TEMPERATURE IS GREATER THAN 76 DEG. F
THEN TURN 2A Circ Pump (Out 18) OFF // room is at target temp, turn pump off

If the outside temp rises above 67 while the pump is running, the pump will continue to run until the room temp reaches the target temp. But after it shuts off, it will stay off until both inside and outside temps drop. You could add another rule to turn the pump off as soon as the outside temp rises above 67, but it seems unnecessary to me. You could also get rid of rule 5 and let the pump run until the room temp reaches the target, but many people prefer to know that it shuts off immediately when you throw the switch.

Back