How to handle powered Pet Door

drvnbysound said:
Ok, so I understand the logic to use an ouput tied to an input. I just didn't follow that's what you were doing with OUT3 - I follow that now.

How are you getting status from the door at all? I'm assuming that's a separate zone?
The actual pet door status comes from the reed switch tied to Zone Input 3 on the panel

drvnbysound said:
The reason for asking the latter, is I'm just trying to follow the complete logic.
Zone 3 doesn't require a rule to be secured.  Zone 3 secures when the pet door closes.

drvnbysound said:
As written, I don't follow where Zn 3 becomes secure; one instance when Zn3 is NOT secure you turn OUT3 OFF (RESET), then later you have the AND statement that says when it's NOT secure (same as before) to turn OUT3 on for 1 second.
My post had an error when I transcribed Rule 1.  Now that I know how to "cut & paste" rules out ElkRP, hopefully my posts will be cleaner.  Rule 1 should have read:

WHENEVER Z003-Pet Dr Inst (Zn 3) BECOMES SECURE
            THEN TURN O-003-Pet Dr (Out 3) OFF

But I wrote this rule before I realized I could limit how long Out 3 was on.  In retrospect, I don't think I need this rule.  I think the code will work without it. So the following 2 rules are all that's needed, unless someone see's something I'm missing.

Rule 1: WHENEVER Z003-Pet Dr Inst (Zn 3) BECOMES NOT SECURE
                         THEN TURN Output 103 ON FOR 8 SECS, RESTART TIMER IF RUNNING

Rule 2: WHENEVER  Output 103 STATE IS TURNED OFF
                         AND Z003-Pet Dr Inst (Zn 3) IS NOT SECURE
                                THEN TURN O-003-Pet Dr (Out 3) ON FOR 1 SEC

I follow you now - makes much more sense, now that I have the whole picture.

Also agree about not needing the first rule since the output will turn off after 8 seconds.

woody said:
Work2Play - Thanks.   I need to remember to search the forum before I fire off questions.  The last couple of steps are different with the version of ElkRo (2.0.20) I'm using, but I got if figured out thanks to your help.
I'm not even positive it comes up on a search - I just remember where it is.  I have to refresh my own memory on occasion.

Back