Glass Break Sensor Question

nemesis

I am testing out my glass break sensors (Bosch 1108I) with my OmniPro II panel.  I have the glass breaks set as Perimeter Zones.  If I place the sensor into test mode and arm the panel I can set the alarm off using Bosch's tester (Bosch 1110I).  If the sensor is not in test mode, the tester does not trigger the alarm, however the glass break sensor itself does light up.  These sensors have the ability (via a jumper) to be place into a latching mode.  I currently do not have them latching.  Could the sensor be triggering and letting go so fast that the panel does not register it?  In which case should I use the latching feature?  Any ideas on what is going on common procedures would be greatly appreciated?

No.

Latching would only really be used in a situation where you have multiple GBD's installed on the same zone (poor practice). The relay on almost every device in the last 20 years (barring inertia shocks that require an analyzer) opens for at least 1-5 seconds...far long enough for even panels with "slow" response.

Perhaps the test mode is programmed to respond to the frequency of the tester, to ensure the electronics are working, and the operational mode is programmed to respond to the actual frequencies generated by breaking glass.

I know my Dining room sensor tripped when I bumped the plastic cover with the system armed, so the microphone works.

My Honeywell tester works the same way. A thud along with the breaking glass sound only sets the sensor off while in test mode.

So if I understand this correctly, as long as it works in test mode with their tester, I can just blindly assume that when not in test mode it will work?  Have others figured out a way to test it in live mode to ensure proper function?

Found this snippet on an alarm forum:

"most modern glassbreaks require sound plus a vibration to get an activation."

So in test mode it may bypass the vibration sensor.
That may also be why mine tripped when I physically bumped it.

Also:

"There is a certain "leap of faith" with GBs".
"However, if you do a forum search, you'll find a fairly recent discussion of this where a couple of pro's express a lot of confidence in GB's based on their own experience. It's pretty reassuring."

Unfortunately, with GBD's there's no absolute functional test, so you're at the mercy of the test means.....

I've only had one situation in almost 20 years where I was able to do a functional test, albeit by accident and not because of malice or error...the window just shattered.

My wife breaks glasses and dishes all the time, and at least one of the sensors, even in the next room, has always gone off every time. It won't trigger the alarm if we are home, but it will say "Did somebody break something?"

Ano, that's too funny.  Don't know if my wife would appreciate the house pointing out that she broke something though.

Back