Reputable Retailers

jonwin890

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking into home security/automation, and I'm leaning towards the Leviton/HAI OmniPro II system. I came across ELVESsupply.com, and they seem to have the lowest prices by far. Is this site legit? Does anyone have experience in doing business with them? Would you recommend another retailer and why?

Thank you,
J

If you do a Google search on Elvesupply, you'll find that they are apparently an alias for Surveillent.com, which has a rather poor reputation.  I've been attracted by their low prices, but after doing some research, I concluded that they don't seem to stock anything they sell. They simply order it from a real distributor and then ship it to you.  So, don't expect any support from them, and  good luck if you need to send anything back.

As for a reputable supplier, I'd recommend Automated Outlet. There, you'll deal with people who are glad to help you with designing your system, answering questions and providing support when you need it. Many folks here on Cocoontech have done business with them, and I don't think I've seen anyone say they were unhappy with their experience. Folks from AO are long time members of Cocoontech and even post here in the forums.

Their prices are higher than some of the other places, but you get what you pay for.

Have used homecontrols.com and they have been very reliable and trustworthy. Their tech support is outstanding and they stand behind what they sell. Their prices may not be the lowest but piece of mind knowing they got your back is worth the price.

I've used ElveSupply and never had a problem. I've used Automated Outlet, HomeControls, Smarthome, all without problems.  I also like ASIHome which is part of Worthington Distribution. I think they have great prices.  I sometimes get stuff from DPC Distributors because they are local, and they are reliable but maybe a bit more costly. All of these companies are authorized Leviton resellers with the exception of ElveSupply.

I have used a few of the retailers mentioned and also had good luck with JMAC Supply as a discount supplier. Good prices and they have been good to me with communications and returning a part.

Tops for customer service and tech support is Automated Outlet in my experience.

Mike.

Tops for support for me have been Automated Outlet and Worthington.

I would never buy HAI (or Elk) from a distributor that didn't offer strong support.

I bought my distributed audio system ($6K) from AO and it paid off in spades. I had to return my music server twice, and AO was a breeze to deal with. I was without whole house audio less than a week, twice. Strong support is usually worth the [slight] premium.

Personally here have flip flopped between AO and Worthington.

Very first OmniPro 2 purchase was from Worthington many many years ago.

That said my first HAI UPB pim was defective and purchased from AO and I did waste much time figuring this out. 

It was returned to AO and replaced promptly after I validated this issue. 

I did meet Martin Custer at a few EHExpos and a few times shuffled his crew around the after EHExpo get togethers and found him to be a personable honest business person.

I have to date never had any issues with stuff purchased from Worthington. 

With both companies I have utilized their web site but have always called in my orders after building a list of to purchase items.

There's a lot of gray market players... IMO, Automated Outlet (A CT supporter) is great; Smarthome.com is good - the of course have the lock on Insteon; HomeControls is rarely mentioned here - they've been around longer than most, and put out an awesome regular print catalog - and their support is awesome.  I use Worthington/ASI once in a while.   For some commodity items where you don't care about support, then buy from whoever has the best price - ebay, private party, etc.

I've had great success with Paul @ Hanks Electric for all my Lutron gear.  I believe they carry other stuff as well.  Found him via AVSForum, username Spiwrx.  While lots of this stuff benefits from educating yourself, Paul has been a fantastic resource for when I've had difficult to answer questions.  I wouldn't point a newbie DIY'er at him, as I wouldn't want to see him wasting too much of his time trying to hand-hold.  But if you're up to the challenge of learning all this mumbo-jumbo he's worth using as a supplier (if they carry your desired gear).

I would trust Home Controls, Smart Home and Automated Outlet, since those three are listed on the Leviton website as the places to purchase. If Leviton recommends them, then you know they are highly qualified.

Personally, I shop from Home Controls the most. They are a Leviton Authorized Training Partner and their technical and sales staff have never let me down.

I'd have to cast my vote for Worthington Distribution in Tafton, Pa..  I've been buying from them since September 1999 when I bought my first HAI Omni panel.  They're local to me and I've purchased about 95% of my hardware from them.  I have not had a single problem with them in the 15+ years, I've been dealing with them.

BobS0327 said:
I'd have to cast my vote for Worthington Distribution in Tafton, Pa..  I've been buying from them since September 1999 when I bought my first HAI Omni panel.  They're local to me and I've purchased about 95% of my hardware from them.  I have not had a single problem with them in the 15+ years, I've been dealing with them.
Local to you?  Ever heard of Camp Skycrest?  Near Honesdale.  I went to summer camp there, good times.

Neurorad said:
Local to you?  Ever heard of Camp Skycrest?  Near Honesdale.  I went to summer camp there, good times.
Yep,  "Local" is a relative term.  For the city folk it can mean just "around the block".  For us, mountain folk it means  30 miles away.   I'm familiar with  Skycrest which is 30 miles away up in the Hawley/Honesdale area.  Never went to the  Summer camp.

Google maps shows the camp has been significantly changed in layout, compared to a few years ago.

Looks like the go-kart track is still there, though. :)

Back