1-Wire Bus Wiring with RJ45 Termination

Here are the pinout pictures depicted in the sheepwalker website. 

Its just not 12/5 VDC voltages I have seen though over the last 20 years which bugs me some.

RPi & SWE

RPI-SWE.jpg

DS9490R

DS9490R.jpg

DS9097U

DS9097U.jpg

wkearney99 said:
And as a side note, if you end up doing a lot of punch down connections consider getting the tool that DOES NOT have the spare blade kept in the handle.  The way the tab protrudes ends up being rough on the palm when you're punching down a lot of times in a row.  I had that kind and it's uncomfortable to use for more than a few punches in a row.
Curious as to why? I've had a Harris (now Fluke) 814 for years and moved to a 914S almost 10 years ago and never had an issue with the spare blade in the handle; it sits way down below the surface of the handle to the point it's difficult to even get the spare blade out when it's needed. Maybe it's a symptom of the cheap ones found in the big box stores?

I don't know what brand mine is; just that it's from the 1990's and looks like the attached picture. 

I have dropped it a few times and it hasn't fallen apart.  I do recall though asking a peer one day to borrow his bagostuff that he used relating to networking back in the 1990's and I replicated everything in his bagostuff for my personal use.

d814-detail.GIF

I use it rarely this days except lately for checking on my POE punchdown stuff with a newer networking diagnostic tool that I purchased.  I would recommend of those too if  you are playing with this stuff.  Picture is just a depiction of the type of network tester.  You cannot make best guesses with one of those little LED network testers when you are dealing with voltages on the wire.

FN-044x588_86.jpg

Its a bit of a PITA to add voltages to cabling never really needing it much years ago.  Why I like parastic 1-wire most.  (today though its also POE touchscreens and CCTV cams).  Well too those little 1-wire temperature sensors are super cheap anyways; buy them by the bag.

Indeed, I should perhaps revise it and say that if you get one that stores the blade in the handle, make sure the release catch for it doesn't dig into your palm.  I don't have mine handy, nor a link, but it has a raised tab on the end (not the side, a la panduit) and it's damned uncomfortable as a result.

wkearny - I'm with DEL - I've done a ton of terminations with my punch down tools and the socket in the handle has never been an issue.  It's rare that I use an uncut punch, but it's nice to have that option - usually daisy chaining phone lines...

Pete - those Fluke testers can be a god-send - I have the CableIQ and another that tests IP, POE, Ping, ETC - and they save me more than their cost in gas alone for jobs...  Great tools for the arsenal.  

Work- isn't it great to pull the certification reports and put them in front of someone when the media is blamed....of course it means the network was certified and not put together on the fly YMMV. I've used the looping (no cut) end a fair amount when using category to a 3rd party unit or similar and not on true network cabling....Stentofon comes to mind. Their racks and punchdowns on a large system will drive you batty.

@ wkearny- all the ones I've owned or used typically had an offset oval that was spring loaded to hold the blade in the back, really smart. You'd have to see the Harris (nee Fluke) units to understand. Maybe a symptom of the cheapies or big box brand units (like Southwire or Commercial Electric)

I know that my Ideal brand one is a cheapie - the other is a Harris (Fluke) - those are the two in the truck right now... and they both work great for a large number of punchdowns.  The Ideal has rubber on the end that makes it cause even less pressure.  If I'm doing a 25-pair or a large patch panel, I have one of these: http://www.siemon.com/e-catalog/ECAT_GI_page.aspx?GI_ID=tt_s110-s210-multi-pair-termination-tool - that cuts down time significantly!

DEL - I often sit on both sides of the table here - as the installer, and the consumer... in the last 10 years so many new people have gotten into saying they do datacomm and thinking they know how - they use crummy parts and they don't certify their cables.  I'm constantly irritated with issues that should've been caught during certification.  When I'm the consumer, I always require certification, and I also specify brands so I know I'm not getting Monoprice or equivalent jacks.  Seeing a lot of these cheaper keystone jacks lately that don't hold a punch well and/or crack at the circuit board during punchdown and cause connectivity issues and even a lot of failed gigabit negotiation.  When I'm troubleshooting any network issues, after I've verified the wires are plugged in securely, my next test is to hit the wires end to end with the fluke - the vast majority of the time, that gives me the answer.  If I'm installing, I do a full certification run and include it somewhere in the documentation and in my client files.

Just relating to 1-wire humidity sensors I utilize three different types. (collecting these over the last 20 plus years) here....AAG (tiny), Midon and Hobby boards.  Prices for the combos are all over the place. (Midon and Hobby Boards ones were around $50 USD each). It would be nice to add to this list as I haven't really looked for 1-wire combo sensors now in a long time.

Googling found:

1 - Original tiny Maxim combination temperature / humidity which are parasitic *
2 - Midon combos -MD3020E  - no longer made / sold
3 - Hobby Boards - HT4-R1-A
4 - iButtonLink - MS-TH
5 - HWGroup - Humidity Sensor
6 - Sparkfun - RHTO3 - not sure if it is a 1-wire device and not reading good stuff about it.
7 - DataNab - 1WTH_PRB_mini_RJ12

* Favorite because they are small and parasitic and I have these still running fine after 20 years.

Thinking the older ones used a Honeywell HIH-3605 Humidity sensor with a DS2438. 

Testing some Homeseer 3 xAP stuff these days.  Over the years have accumulated a few 1-wire devices. 

The attached pictures show two instances of xAP and 1-wire devices.

This is just a quickie overview of 1-wire integration, xAP and Homeseer 3.

I am at a star and hub and spoke 1-wire set up using some regular catXX patch panels which allows me to change stuff around here dynamically. 

There is one Homeseer user that has put multiple temperature sensors on his HVAC system for some major granularity of function and use today.

This one is an xAP instance that runs in Windows or Linux.  Basically you configure it via an HTML running GUI.   It is connected to a serial 1-wire device created a few years back by Mitch over at Midon Design

Over the years here have utilize both xAP and xPL in my automation of stuff.  I remote control my sprinkler system and one method I use is the connection of xAP to a W800 (have a few of these) and a cheapo old X10 remote controller.  IE: today my irrigation program runs on a Seagate Dockstar.  It is connected to Homeseer via xAP and can be remote controlled by an xAP instance connected to a serial W800.

xAP is an open protocol used for home automation and supports integration of telemetry and control devices primarily within the home. Common communications networks include RS232, RS485, Ethernet& wireless. xAP protocol always uses broadcast for sending the messages.

There are also a few users here on CT utilizing xPL.

xPL is an open protocol intended to permit the control and monitoring of home automation devices. The primary design goal of xPL is to provide a rich set of features and functionality, whilst maintaining an elegant, uncomplicated message structure.

This is the GUI of the serial 1-wire connection to a few sensors.  Note that the status and devices are xAP broadcasts on the current home network. 

temp05.jpg

This is a picture of the "capture" of the xAP 1-wire devices.  I currently utilize Cumulus software connected to two weather stations for weather data in two geographical locations.  I currently utilize a dynamic text file for weather and xAP broadcasts from Cumulus.

xap.jpg

Here is a graph of outdoor temperature data that I do with Homeseer 2.  

graph.jpg

Another way to connect to 1-wire devices in Linux is utilizing OWFS.

OWFS (one wire file system) is an easy way to use the powerful 1-wire system of Dallas/Maxim. OWFS is a simple and flexible program to monitor and control the physical environment. You can write scripts to read temperature, flash lights, write to an LCD, log and graph, ...

plot-rate.php.png

I have been using Cumulus (Windows weather software) for a few years now.  Concurrently though have tested WVIEW which runs in Linux fine (RPi).

wview is a collection of unix daemons which interface with a supported weather station to retrieve archive records (if generated by the station) and current conditions. The stations currently supported are:
  • Davis Vantage Pro/Pro2/Vue (Serial, USB and IP)
  • Vaisala WXT510/WXT520
  • Texas Weather Instruments (All)
  • Oregon Scientific WMR-USB (WMR88/WMR88A/WMR100/WMR100N/WMR200/WMRS200)
  • Hideki, Nexus, Mebus, Irox, Honeywell, Cresta TE923, TE923W, TE821W, WXR810, DV928
  • Fine Offset WH1080/WH1081, Watson W-8681/WX-2008, National Geographic: 265 NE, Elecsa 6975/6976, Ambient Weather WS-1080/WS-1090/WS-2080, Tycon TP1080WC
  • La Crosse WS-2300/WS-2308/WS-2310/WS-2315
  • Oregon Scientific WMR918/WMR928NX/WMR968
  • Station Simulator
  • Virtual Station

Back