1-Wire Software

I ordered the book to read so when it gets here, I might have this answer.. But what Im trying to figure out is the best software to read the data from these 1-Wire devices. At the moment all Im planning on is temp and maybe humidty, but plan on adding more later. What Im looking for is a software that will store the data , graph the data,etc.

THanks,
RYan Nichols

Ryan, there are a number of solutions available. I am personally running Weather Display, which provides for reading, plotting, trending, reporting of data. It's about $80.... but very extensive. There are some other very good solutions that work in conjunction with HomeSeer. If you do a search here and on the HS site you'll find the solutions.

What you fail to mention is what OS you are running. WD runs on Win/Mac/Linux so that is your best bet. For Linux I prefer w1retap. --Hans

I decided on some open source software called thermd.

It is a perl script that runs in the background and works on any operating system. Supports all 1-wire adapters I am aware of, generates graphs on demand and does uploads to weather underground.

It is rock solid and more importantly maintenance free for me. Have not touched it in 4 months and it has not missed a beat that entire time.

--
Jayson

I was trying to choose between Linux and Windows. I did some research and people said the Serial was a better interface over the USB so I got that... I was reading up on ThermD, but wasn't too sure on that one. I will check out the other links you guys sent. Thanks. btw, the machine I have is a Mini-Itx machine I figure either Linux or windows should run fine on it.

I really don't understand that remark. I use the usb interface and know other people how do too, and it is rock solid. So in which way is the serial better than the usb one? --Hans

I was trying to choose between Linux and Windows. I did some research and people said the Serial was a better interface over the USB so I got that... I was reading up on ThermD, but wasn't too sure on that one. I will check out the other links you guys sent. Thanks. btw, the machine I have is a Mini-Itx machine I figure either Linux or windows should run fine on it.

It is a perl script that runs in the background and works on any operating system. Supports all 1-wire adapters I am aware of, generates graphs on demand and does uploads to weather underground.

It is rock solid and more importantly maintenance free for me. Have not touched it in 4 months and it has not missed a beat that entire time.

--
Jayson

I wanted to download thermd but couldn't find a button to download the program.
What am I missing?
Mike

I use Wserver for my web weather station and my own custom software for things like green house montoring, etc.
http://henriksens.net/1-wire/

Wserver also does FTP uploading to your web site and it reports to several weather services like weather under ground if you set up an account.
Wserver is very simple to set up and run.
Some weather programs I looked at are way too complicated if you just need a simple weather station function

Wserver has been running my web weather station for 2 years without a glitch.

Mike,

It is the link along the right side of the screen that says, "source code". Perl is interpreted, so there is no compiled binary.

--
Jayson

--
Jayson

What am I missing?
Mike

Mike,

It is the link along the right side of the screen that says, "source code". Perl is interpreted, so there is no compiled binary.

--
Jayson

--
Jayson

What am I missing?
Mike
Thanks for that info, however I don't have a clue what to do with the source code.
Can you help?
Mike

Per operates like a shell/bash script. If you have Unix or OS X a perl interpreter is included with the OS. If you are using windows, you can get one here. THe creator of thermd says that Active Perl works.

Once you install the perl interpreter and add it to your execution path, you should be able to treat the "source code" you downloaded like any shell script.

--
Jayson

Mike,

--
Jayson

--
Jayson

What am I missing?
Mike
Thanks for that info, however I don't have a clue what to do with the source code.
Can you help?
Mike

I really don't understand that remark. I use the usb interface and know other people how do too, and it is rock solid. So in which way is the serial better than the usb one? --Hans

Found this on Weathertoys i think..

I started my project using the USB adapter, and it functions without problems for the project.

BUT BUT BUT, USB adapters for datalogging is not stable enough, I have lerned from my Danish Vantage Pro friends, that they ALL have shiftet from USB to Serial.

I have now done the same, problem is that the USB port randomly disappear, and no data is logged, until the program is stopped, and the USB plug is removed and reinserted.

This is a general WINDOWS problem.

I have now been running with my Serial adapter for 2 months and I have never lost connection with the software, with the USB adapter, I would have lost it between 1 to 5 times.

So my recommendation is to use the serial adapter always, and maybe use the USB adapter for a separate testing environment.

Then I also found it in a couple other places.. So i picked the serial device after reading that.

Found this on Weathertoys i think..

I started my project using the USB adapter, and it functions without problems for the project.

BUT BUT BUT, USB adapters for datalogging is not stable enough, I have lerned from my Danish Vantage Pro friends, that they ALL have shiftet from USB to Serial.

I have now done the same, problem is that the USB port randomly disappear, and no data is logged, until the program is stopped, and the USB plug is removed and reinserted.

This is a general WINDOWS problem.

I have now been running with my Serial adapter for 2 months and I have never lost connection with the software, with the USB adapter, I would have lost it between 1 to 5 times.

So my recommendation is to use the serial adapter always, and maybe use the USB adapter for a separate testing environment.

Then I also found it in a couple other places.. So i picked the serial device after reading that.

From what I understand the VP USB problem is related to software setting something wrong in the hardware. With regards to the USB 1-wire sensor: I have never run anything 1-wire with Windows, simply because I don't have Windows. So I guess the world's dominant OS is screwing up again. :p But then I have to refrase my own comment:

I really don't understand that remark. I use the usb interface under Linux and know other people how do too, and it is rock solid. So in which way is the serial interface under Linux better than the usb one? :D --Hans

P.S. Another advantage of the USB interface it that my weather sat receiver is controlled by RS232, so it frees up that port.

P.S.2. Before I make any other silly remarks. Can everybody please state which OS they are using when writing post? I'm going to put it in my footnote.

Back