15" ELO Refurbs - Great deal

Thanks, that's definitely use information. I am considering getting a cat5 based KVM extender. I found this unit, which looks pretty affordable:

http://www.provantage.com/iogear-gce700~7IOGR041.htm

The wall it would go in is a not a load bearing wall, and I do have a small cabinet behind it, so I could keep the power adapter out of the wall, assuming there no heating issues with the unit itself. Has anyone tried that approach?

Dan - That reminds me. Mine did not use a DC power adapter. It was 110V. So I turned it into a legal in-wall unit by attaching a box with electrical coupling and connecting it with a whip to an electrical box. I wanted it to be up to code.

So mine came with a standard, 3-prong, IEC cord.

Dan - That reminds me. Mine did not use a DC power adapter. It was 110V. So I turned it into a legal in-wall unit by attaching a box with electrical coupling and connecting it with a whip to an electrical box. I wanted it to be up to code.

So mine came with a standard, 3-prong, IEC cord.

I'm probably going to pick up a couple of these. I think I may install them in a wall recess with power and cables terminated on the bottom surface of the recess with a clip on frame, instead of in wall . This will keep them definitely legal, keep the connectors and controls accessible, eliminate heat worries and make them easily replaceable. Thoughts about this?

Is there a way, in the forums to hide the "Deals" thread from view? This thread has cost me far to much money over the past few years! LOL

Is there a way, in the forums to hide the "Deals" thread from view? This thread has cost me far to much money over the past few years! LOL

I agree. In for 2. I was always planning on doing touch-screens... getting them at a decent price will just accelerate the project (or make my wife annoyed that they are left sitting around in a box)

Just tell your wife it's my fault. She certainly can't blame you :)

keepersg said:
I'm probably going to pick up a couple of these. I think I may install them in a wall recess with power and cables terminated on the bottom surface of the recess with a clip on frame, instead of in wall . This will keep them definitely legal, keep the connectors and controls accessible, eliminate heat worries and make them easily replaceable. Thoughts about this?

Should work. Pretty good idea. These units are not very deep. Maybe 2".

Hi All,

I'm the guy selling these touchscreens on ebay. The thread is really interesting so far. Maybe I can shed light on a few things.

Part number confusion:

Let me take apart this ELO touchscreen part number: ET1545L-8UWC-1

ET15 = ELO 15" touchscreen
4 = has no case back
5 = has bezel with rounded edges, internal OSD control panel (These touchscreens HAD a bezel at one time, but now the panels are double stick taped on. 7 square edge bezel. Once the bezel is gone 5 vs 7 makes no difference)
L = LCD (vs CRT)
8 = SAW (AKA Intellitouch) which is the sold glass touchpanel
U = USB interface on touch controller
WC = internal controller, version C
-1 = revision 1

>>If you're looking at this auction, it's probably because I sent you a link to it. My description is really vague because I wanted to set this
>> listing up without the general public finding it by searching. See pic for model number and manufacturer.
>> I found that statement very odd as well. However, I decided to give it a try. I will let you know how it turns out.

Well? I did not want my POS customers to get annoyed when they saw a listing for the same touchscreen minus the case for 40% of the price. I got a bunch of these for an excellent price and it's slow time of the year. So there they are! I'm an ethical and straight forward person and it may sound odd but the deal is on the up and up. Ask anyone who has dealt with me.

I'll keep an eye on the thread.

Thanks Sam.

-Michael

keepersg wrote:
>>I'm probably going to pick up a couple of these. I think I may install them in a wall recess with power and cables
>>terminated on the bottom surface of the recess with a clip on frame, instead of in wall . This will keep them
>>definitely legal, keep the connectors and controls accessible, eliminate heat worries and make them easily replaceable.
>> Thoughts about this?[/quote]

>>Should work. Pretty good idea. These units are not very deep. Maybe 2".

I have one of these in my wall at home. My studs are 16" OC which leave 14 1/2" between the studs. The case behind the tabs is 14 3/8", so it fits perfectly. Just drill 2 holes each on the left and right and screw into the studs though the drywall

The controls are on the side, but if you disassemble the touchscreen you can get about 8" of play in the cable to the controls, so it can be worked around to the bottom of the frame. I mounted it against the back of my custom black acrylic bezel with pin holes to operate the controls via paperclip from the front.

BTW: The bezel is made of 3/8" acrylic laminated to 1/8" acrylic. The 1/8" sheet is on top and the opening is the size of the active area of the touchpanel. the 3/8" is below and the opening is the side of the oustide dimensions of the touchpanel.

Mine has a thin client hanging by the VGA cable into the stud bay below. It has a USB wireless 80211G, so the only cable I had to run is power.

It is true that if your bezel touches the touchpanel, it will not work properly, but elo has a foam tape can contact the surface. This is good because otherwise debris can get in the gap. If anyone needs some, let me know. I have a few mile of it.

It is true that if your bezel touches the touchpanel, it will not work properly, but elo has a foam tape can contact the surface. This is good because otherwise debris can get in the gap. If anyone needs some, let me know. I have a few mile of it.

I am over my head already but I just hit the "buy it now" as well, I would love to get my hands on some of that tape and some frame tips.

Thanks for joining this discussion santistuff! I was wondering how that gap wouldn't pose a problem for debris. The tape would definitely work, if you are willing to include some, I will be buying 1 or more screens myself. What thin client hardware do you use? Thanks!

Thanks for joining this discussion santistuff! I was wondering how that gap wouldn't pose a problem for debris. The tape would definitely work, if you are willing to include some, I will be buying 1 or more screens myself. What thin client hardware do you use? Thanks!

Hi Dan-

I'll include some of the tape for all the open frame touchscreens I ship from now on. Seems to make a lot of sense. :^)

I'll upload some pics of my bezel too. Super lo-tech fabrication with a table saw, drill press, glue, and wet sand paper.

I use the Compaq T5000 series thin clients. They are fanless (transmeta or via eden) so they are zero maintentance, which is probably good since I'm stashing them in the wall. I'm running XP Embedded from compactflash, which has a smaller footprint than XP Pro or Home. They have a standard 44 pin IDE connector, so I suspect you could run from a notebook IDE, assuming the power supply can handle the current on 5v.

-Michael

Definitely would love to see pics of your bezel as well, then you will have to let us know how much to build some for us :) What software do you run through that thinclient? Is it fast enough?

Back