18/2 wires

v1rtu0s1ty

I have estimated my cable lengths from the 18/4 solid, 22/4 solid, and CAT5E and found out that I will still have a remaining of about 400ft per cable type. Do I still need to buy a 18/2 stranded if I still have that much left? Or is 18/2 stranded use for different kind of application?

I thought you were going to use the 18/2 stranded for your transformer to panel and speaker/siren wires. I don't see why you couldn't use the 18/4 solid. Just a little harder to work with.

basic guidline . . .

soild for non-movable, no vibration, stuff that stays put (ie:house wiring)

stranded for movable, vibrating, stuff that gets re-aranged (ie:automotive wiring)

Pete C

I love my country, but fear my government.

pete said:
basic guidline . . .

soild for non-movable, no vibration, stuff that stays put (ie:house wiring)

stranded for movable, vibrating, stuff that gets re-aranged (ie:automotive wiring)

Pete C

I love my country, but fear my government.
Yep, I will just use those wires then to save some:) I don't need to buy those 18/2 anymore. Thanks pete.

Greeting v1rt:

Just a word of caution/warning about pre-wire lengths. You will use MUCH more than youo think you need. Do not plan on having any extra wire left over. Make sure you buy more than you need, as you will be short.

It just is not possible to take an accurate measurement of the wiring runs. Even the pros get it wrong. Not trying to scare you, but just want to let you know to not count on having extra wire. You may have it, but dont count on having it.

Back