18/4 wire comparison :)

My $.02, stranded. Stranded wire for contacts, has a lot less probability of getting kinked or shorting due to kinks. Also, I purchased Belden 18/4 (stranded) made specifically for Smokes (and other life devices). I purchased from tselectronic.com.

Also, Pete is right...plenum rated cable is most often used above the drop ceilings in offices, which in most cases a return air plenum.

22ga stranded is really small wire. The 22ga solid will be way easier to terminate, and if you're not going to move it, it doesn't matter how "inflexible" it is, esp since it's so thin anyway that it's plenty flexible.

Interestingly, it's somewhat difficult to find unshielded stranded 18-2. Most websites want to sell it mated with RG6 or RG59.

Tri-State Electronic wants to sell it for $40/100' or $82/500'. Seems pricey for basic 2 conductor cable. In comparison, they sell 1000' of 22-4 for $82.

Nobody ever said this hobby is cheap.

I need to stop bitching, and planning, and start building.

Found good cable pricing at Newark Electronics.

I'll buy solid 22/4 and stranded 18/2.

Based on Dan's Home Wiring 101-102-103 guides, I'll buy CM rated cable (encompasses CLX2 designation). Belden is a good name, and Newark's cheapest Belden cables are competitively priced.

500' 22/4 solid, polypropylene insulation, PVC jacket, 'natural' color jacket $22.46 Belden #5522UG 877C500
500' 18/2 stranded multiconductor, black PVC jacket $41.62 Belden #5300UG 010U500

Emailed invoice says 'Direct Ship Charge $0.00', but I'm guessing ~$15. + Tax.

Cheaper than HD/Lowes, I get EXACTLY what I want, and name brand. Detailed data sheets on all Belden products on their website. :throwup:

Back