2019 Glass Break Detect

Monk

Hi Folks - 
What is the best hard wired glass break detector? I've beat through the forums searching and found that Visonic was highly regarded - but the best I can see is they are making only wireless sensors now.

Let me know - Thanks!

ano said:
The FG1625 is certainly good. The FG-730 is even better but it costs more also.

I'm curious why you prefer the FG-730? I agree it's also a great GBD but it is quite a bit older than the FG-1625 and both use the same Intellisense technology.

They are not the same technology. Range is different, settings are different, status lights are different (FG-1625 has none.)  The FG-730 is a bit harder to setup, but it is more resistant to false alarms.

ano said:
They are not the same technology. Range is different, settings are different, status lights are different (FG-1625 has none.)  The FG-730 is a bit harder to setup, but it is more resistant to false alarms.

Honeywell has them both listed as FlexGuard devices and as the FG-1625 is newer, it has an enhanced FlexCore technology as well. From Honeywell's internal website - "The FlexCore Signal Processor is an Application-Specific Integrated Circuit (ASIC), which processes sound data in parallel rather than sequentially. The combination of FlexGuard® (low and high frequencies) with the speed of FlexCore processing provides unmatched false alarm immunity without compromising detection. Multiple Domain Signal Analysis: The unit performs Multiple Domain Signal Analysis in which time, frequency and amplitude characteristics are evaluated for signal qualification. This enables the detector to accurately discriminate false alarms from true glass break events." 

The FG-1625 works to protect glass up to 25' away, with the option to lower that in cases where you need less range/sensitivity. The install guide (https://www.alarmgrid.com/documents/honeywell-fg-1625-and-fg-1625t-install-guide) details the actual expected ranges at the various sensitivity selections which you set using DIP switches. The FG-730 is listed with a 30' range and has an on-board potentiometer that you can adjust to change the flex setting. (Install guide linked at https://www.alarmgrid.com/documents/honeywell-fg-730-install-guide) That's not truly a range selection but instead a measure of how much low frequency sound that's ambient may cause the device to think it's "hearing" the true Flex noise of glass being struck.

There is also an LED on the FG-1625 but it's behavior is defined by the DIP switches for the LED and LATCH setting.

While I agree, the FG-730 is an excellent choice, and Honeywell continuing to sell it even though it's much older is a testament to it's popularity and effectiveness, I would also say that the FG-1625 is newer and therefore has updated technology. I don't think you can really go wrong with either one though and ano, please do let me know if I'm missing something about the FG-730 that makes it truly superior to the FG-1625.

From the marketing materials the description of the FG-730 is as follows:

FG-730 from IntelliSense are dual technology glass-break detectors that use flex detection and audio discrimination to detect breaking glass. The flex and audio technologies are sensitive to different frequencies. The flex technology is sensitive to ultra low frequencies, the type generated by a blow to a glass window. The audio technology detects the frequency of breaking glass. The audio technology remains off until the flex technology detects a blow to the glass. For an alarm condition to occur, the audio must detect the frequency of breaking glass within a defined time-window after the flex detects a blow to the glass. Because both technologies must detect and verify glass breakage, false alarms are virtually eliminated.

Where did you see the same description for the FG-1625? 

If you are convinced the FG-1625 is better, by all means get it. I'm sure it will work fine for you. 

ano said:
From the marketing materials the description of the FG-730 is as follows:

FG-730 from IntelliSense are dual technology glass-break detectors that use flex detection and audio discrimination to detect breaking glass. The flex and audio technologies are sensitive to different frequencies. The flex technology is sensitive to ultra low frequencies, the type generated by a blow to a glass window. The audio technology detects the frequency of breaking glass. The audio technology remains off until the flex technology detects a blow to the glass. For an alarm condition to occur, the audio must detect the frequency of breaking glass within a defined time-window after the flex detects a blow to the glass. Because both technologies must detect and verify glass breakage, false alarms are virtually eliminated.

Where did you see the same description for the FG-1625? 

If you are convinced the FG-1625 is better, by all means get it. I'm sure it will work fine for you. 

The data sheet for the FG-1625 is available at https://www.alarmgrid.com/documents/honeywell-fg-1625-and-fg-1625t-data-sheet and has a similar description in the "FlexCore Signal Processor" section. And just to be clear, I'm certainly not trying to question your information. I was more just curious to hear your thoughts on why you felt the FG-730 was better in case I was missing something so I'd know better.

Thanks guys - The older style FG-730 is reminiscent of the ones I grew up with - with the 3 LED indicators - like a Crow brand?

I'm ordering one of each for testing.

Thanks again!

I am looking for a low profile wired glass break sensor. Does anyone have experience with the Honeywell FG-1625F? How about the Bosch DS1103I?

Thanks!

I would go with the Honeywell FG-730.

Most windows installed today are dual pane and a true break in will require the blunt force followed by the breaking glass frequency. Both are required for an alarm condition with this model.

I have a ranch home that uses them in all rooms except the kitchen, all are on a 24 hour zone. A large light fixture has accidentally dropped in a bathroom, no alarm. Two years later in the same room with a small dual pane window, a burglar beat the window for 35 seconds before he shattered the inside pane, then the alarm immediately sounded. He did not get inside and ran off the property. The camera system recorded everything including a great physical description for the Sheriff.

Do be mindful of the distance limitations and mounting instructions. Best of luck.

Back