22/4 wires on motion sensor

bfisher said:
toymaster458 said:
I do I leave the builder installed smokes alone and double it up with mine and make sure I use a detector with out a built in siren so it is not to loud when the both go off.
How come you are worried about it being too loud? I think that would be a good thing in the case of a fire...
In my opinion I think the siren from the Builder install and the one used in the alarm panel and the alarm panel is just to much. But that is my opinion.

v1rtu0s1ty,

Technically, the wire that is in cat5 (24 guage) will work but, as Toymaster pointed out, local code may have other restrictions especially on a new construction. Codes vary greatly from state to state and even within a state. In New York city, I think the cable needs to not only be fire resistant, but rat resistant too - not kidding.

Yes Cat5 wire works for almost everything now days but even if it is a exsisting house you should follow Manufacturers recommendations along with local codes on alarm and fire sensors/detectors. You are dealing with the safty of your family and that you can not put a price on.

Back