22/4 wires on motion sensor

No problem what so ever in using 22/4 on motion detectors. 18/4 will work fine but a little overkill.

What about 18/4 on smoke detectors? Is that code in some places? any reason that 22/4 isn't good enough?

WayneW said:
What about 18/4 on smoke detectors? Is that code in some places? any reason that 22/4 isn't good enough?
I was just reading the Wiring 101 document that was given to me on my other thread in HA, it is recommended that 18/4 should be used on smoke detectors. I was really planning on saving more money by using 22/4 on smoke detectors. So guys, what's the real call on this? Is 22/4 not enough for smoke detectors?

Mine use 22/4 and seem to be ok. That the wire that was there from 15yr old install. It's not firewire (red) either. You may need to just check local code.

toymaster458 said:
My local code is all fire to use a fire grade 18 gauge solid wire
Thanks toymaster, I guess, I think I should really use 18/4 :) I'll decide tomorrow. Now, what do I do with the smoke detectors that my builder is going to install? Can't I just use that smoke detector, then just connect it the ELK M1 Gold? This way, I can save 18/4 wire. Please let me know guys.

The ones the Builder installs are powered by 110 Volts. Some models have contact closures and some don't depending on what he installs. On all the new home I do I leave the builder installed smokes alone and double it up with mine and make sure I use a detector with out a built in siren so it is not to loud when the both go off.

toymaster458 said:
The ones the Builder installs are powered by 110 Volts. Some models have contact closures and some don't depending on what he installs. On all the new home I do I leave the builder installed smokes alone and double it up with mine and make sure I use a detector with out a built in siren so it is not to loud when the both go off.
Ah, they're 110v powered then. I'm not good in designing. Having many circles on our ceilling ruins the beauty of our room, in this case our kitchen. In my case, I will have a smoke detector there, plus, my own smoke detector, heat sensor. I think, my ceiling is gonna look really crap. :)

How did you guys placed yours? Are they all on the ceiling? Can heat sensor be installed on wall? However, heat rises. Putting it on the wall defeats its purpose.

toymaster458 said:
I do I leave the builder installed smokes alone and double it up with mine and make sure I use a detector with out a built in siren so it is not to loud when the both go off.
How come you are worried about it being too loud? I think that would be a good thing in the case of a fire...

I was reading the wiring 101 and learned that smoke detectors should never be place near kitchen, near bathroom door. I think the kitchen is understandable but why did they mention there not to put near bathroom door?

Back