24" TV and photo streaming using occupancy detection?

relay

I have never liked those little 10" picture frames as there are just too many limitations.
I have had the idea for quite some time to install a 24" LED TV in my living room as strictly a large digital photo and perhaps video frame.
I am tring to think of a way to automate it using some sort of occupancy detection to detect when people are in the room and spin up a streaming device of some sort as well as the TV.
Alternatively, I could configure my Elk M1 to power up the devices based on an alarm state, i.e. off when armed away and on when disarmed however, with occupancy detection sound more fun.

I plan to retrofit the TV into a wall and provide a wooden "picture" frame around it to give the impression of a piece of artwork.

I need to figure out a streaming solution that can altomatically start up with power applied.
I thought about one of the new Intel Next Unit of Computing boxes but have not investigated if it can auto power on based on last known config as well as the issue of how to safely shut it down.
Some sort of hardware streaming device seems better suited, like a Roku box something that will tolerate a immediate power off better than a PC could.
Perhaps a small Smart TV might be able to fit the bill.  I need to look into that.

I want to keep this energy efficient so it can be left on for long periods without the guilty feeling :(
I have an ELK M1 along with UPB and Zwave for protocols, though mostly zwave.

Anyway, I figured I would start the post and see what ideas others have come up with or are thinking about as it might help me as well as others thinking about this.

Thanks!

What kind of floor do you have?  I find SureAction pressure sensors to work the best in this type of scenario (I even stuck a few under my bathtub, to detect when someone is in the shower).  Other options are occupancy sensors or motion sensors.

As for the data streaming, you could leave the player play the media (many devices use almost as much power as they do in standby), and just control the TV.  This would give you an instant on experience.

Back