Improving streaming stick performance and eliminating buffering

JimS

Have a couple Roku streaming stick and having trouble with buffering messages appearing. The roku network test shows signal strength and speed but doesn't show more detail such as latency or jitter. I am not sure if the issue is in my local network or my ISP but guessing they are local. I switched to 5 GHz band and think that may fix the buffering issue. I have quite a few things on my 2.4 GHz band - nothing high bandwidth but still thinking that will help. Also found out Roku will send out a free HDMI extender (go.roku.com/hdmi) and think that may help. The TV screen is almost directly between the router and the stick. I looked into wired as I got adapters for fire sticks that helped and some 3rd parties make wired adapters that work with some Roku devices but not with my model. Just thought I would post the info if it is useful to others.

Probably should give it a few more days to know for sure but so far no buffering with just the change to the 5GHz band wifi. :)

I always use a wired adapter with my FireTV sticks. Of course, easier said then done. 5GHz is better than 2.4GHz BUT range is must less. Its less crowded and faster, but 2.4GHz speed should be plenty fast enough. I monitor all my traffic from FireTV sticks, and it took me months to figure out what to block and what not to block to allow it to work. Netflix was the hardest, but they ALL like to spy on my factors. Most every streaming service connects to 40 or more places. Amazon literally sells everything you do to at least 20 different services, and I'm sure they get money from each one.

You didn't provide many details, and there are lots, but I will tell you when I enable IPv6, the FireTV stick had troubles. It supported it mostly, but not 100%, although they have since fixed the problem.

It's still working fine. I don't have IPv6 on my local network so that isn't an issue. I think the main thing was many other devices on 2.4 GHz band.

Back