4-wire Smoke wire question

shenandoah75

I was reading some past threads where it was recommended that you can use one power supervision relay on the entire power circuit. Just need to make sure you don't use a single wire, loop it around the contacts so that if it disconnects from one detector, you would get no warning sense there's no interuption in current.

Ok, got that part...

But what is the best way to deliver the power and zone wires to all smokes? i see two ( i want one smoke per zone so i can see what tripped):

1) run both a 4-conductor and 2-conductor cable from each smoke back to the home run and then wire one to SAUX and tie the remainder together in a big parallel loop. 2 conductor would be used for zone triggering only...

2) run two sets of 2-conductor (one for for the zones, one for power) but for power, run them directly between each detector.

Also for the power supervision, i see two options as well:
1) put it at the last smoke
2) put it in the panel if using option #1 above, using the ;ast set of returns in the four conductor cable to connect

In my app - two buildings, multiple stories, i would be tempted to go with the 4-conductor/home run option in the house and outbuilding (just that "home runs" means at different panels but still in parallel)... and then take the last smoke feed back in the house, wire +/- conductors to the (2) outbuilding detectors and put the eol relay in my outbuilding panel on the set of returns from second smoke (so i can bypass another 100'+ run back to the house)

thx
-brad

I was reading some past threads where it was recommended that you can use one power supervision relay on the entire power circuit. Just need to make sure you don't use a single wire, loop it around the contacts so that if it disconnects from one detector, you would get no warning sense there's no interuption in current.

Ok, got that part...

But what is the best way to deliver the power and zone wires to all smokes? i see two ( i want one smoke per zone so i can see what tripped):

1) run both a 4-conductor and 2-conductor cable from each smoke back to the home run and then wire one to SAUX and tie the remainder together in a big parallel loop. 2 conductor would be used for zone triggering only...

2) run two sets of 2-conductor (one for for the zones, one for power) but for power, run them directly between each detector.

Also for the power supervision, i see two options as well:
1) put it at the last smoke
2) put it in the panel if using option #1 above, using the ;ast set of returns in the four conductor cable to connect

In my app - two buildings, multiple stories, i would be tempted to go with the 4-conductor/home run option in the house and outbuilding (just that "home runs" means at different panels but still in parallel)... and then take the last smoke feed back in the house, wire +/- conductors to the (2) outbuilding detectors and put the eol relay in my outbuilding panel on the set of returns from second smoke (so i can bypass another 100'+ run back to the house)

thx
-brad

I home-ran a pair from each smoke and used a resistor for supervision. They are normally open, so you install the resistor parallel to the switch contacts. I daisy chained a pair of 18 gauge wire from the first smoke to the last for power, starting at the panel. I purchased a special smoke for the end that had a supervision relay built-in. In addition to the same hookup as the other smokes, this one got a supervision resistor in series with the contacts of the second relay, with another pair home-run from that to monitor the power circuit.

Brian

Back