6-channel hub vs. master hub?

davism5

I have a (hosed) 6-channel master hub which I'm probably going to have to replace. In browsing the HB site, I no longer find the master hub listed, only the 6-channel hub. Is the master hub no longer available, or out of stock, or ??

I did notice that the info on the 6-channel hub now says that it can also act as a power source. I don't remember for sure, but it seems like this was the only real difference between the 6-channel hub and the master hub in the past. Was the 6-channel hub just upgraded with a power injector and now serves as a replacement for the master hub?

The difference between the 6 Channel Master Hub and the 6 Channel Hub is that the Master Hub had a serial adapter inside and the regular Hub does not have any form of 1-Wire master inside so you would need a USB or Serial adapter. They both have always provided power to other devices.

The Master Hub was discontinued when I could no longer get DS2409 1-Wire chips and the Hub will be discontinued once our stock runs out. We are looking into replacements but have not come up with anything yet.

Eric

Ah, yes now I remember the adapter being the real difference. Bummer about the chips... good luck in the hunt for suitable replacements.

Thanks for the update!

The Master Hub was discontinued when I could no longer get DS2409 1-Wire chips and the Hub will be discontinued once our stock runs out. We are looking into replacements but have not come up with anything yet.

I presume you've read Maxim's application notes suggesting using an addressable switch (e.g. DS2408)? They all looked like they would require software modification :(

The DS2409 is still in production, and should be for the next five years (even if they don't come to their senses and change the status back to production). Is it really impossible (or prohibitively expensive) to buy the DS2409 at the moment?

It is not that it is impossible or super expensive but that the lead time (last time I got a quote) was something like 8 to 10 months.

What might be interesting in this respect, is the response I got from an application engineer from Maxim as I inquired about what to do if one wants to use iButtons to control access at multiple doors.

| Thank you for confirming that the DS2409 is a great part for use
| in access control systems. That's one of the target applications
| that the DS2409 was designed for.
|
| Unfortunately, your competitors have a different opinion - or
| they never understood how to properly use the part. The
| commercial success of the DS2409 is so low that we are still
| selling parts that we made in 2006, made in our 6in wafer fab,
| which has been closed since then.
|
| I have written application note 4930. The title is somewhat
| misleading because the workarounds are fairly costly and not not
| really simple.
|
| Technically, the DS2409 is a close relative of the DS2401, which
| is in full production. If you can convince us that your demand is
| high enough to resurrect the part, we may reconsider EOLing the
| DS2409. Otherwise your only option is to buy a lifetime supply
| right now

If they are still selling stock they made in 2006 then I wonder why the lead time is so long.

Maybe they are really time traveling back to 2006 and increasing production each time an order comes in. Due to the space/time continuum, it takes 8 months to catch back up and have the extra parts actually appear. :p

I'm guessing here, but it could be that the wafers have been produced in 2006, but that the actual cutting, fitting and soldering to the leads is done on demand. I'd presume that storing wafers is cheaper than storing finished components.

Upon further inquiries he indicated that if the DS2409 would reach a level of a million parts per year, it would be a strong indicator to put it back in full production. IMO the one million parts per year is an overestimation (he's just an application engineer, he doesn't know enough about sales and margins, I'd guess). I'd assume that much lower figures would do it too (like somewhere between 10 and 50 thousand a year). Then again, it still mystifies me why these figures are not being met already. It really means that designs which use two DS2409s per access control point (a door) are a rarity; which is surprising, since the iButton solution is cheaper than the equivalent RFID solution (which carries additional complexities of (un)intentional radio interference possibilities).

It is not that it is impossible or super expensive but that the lead time (last time I got a quote) was something like 8 to 10 months.

I just got back a reply on my request for a quote (took them two weeks to respond or so):
Status: Approved Part Number: DS2409P+ Quantity: 40 Price: $1.95 / unit Effective Date (M/D/Y): 01/09/2012 Expiration Date (M/D/Y): 02/08/2012 Lead-Time (weeks): 5

So it's neither overly expensive, nor months to get the parts. I might order some spare parts for my setup here, in case they break.
Guessing how many I'd need for future designs, however, is more difficult.

I just got back a reply on my request for a quote (took them two weeks to respond or so):
Status: Approved Part Number: DS2409P+ Quantity: 40 Price: $1.95 / unit Effective Date (M/D/Y): 01/09/2012 Expiration Date (M/D/Y): 02/08/2012 Lead-Time (weeks): 5

So it's neither overly expensive, nor months to get the parts. I might order some spare parts for my setup here, in case they break.
Guessing how many I'd need for future designs, however, is more difficult.

The lead time sounds reasonable for that quantity. I wonder if Eric would consider building more of the hubs with them? I mean it's been over 5 weeks since you gave that quote and he could have been selling them by now.

I will not be offering Hubs with DS2409 anymore. The last quote I got on them was for more than 40 pieces and was something like 8 months lead time. We are working on a redesign of the Hub and Master Hub without the DS2409. I don't know exactly when they will be available.

Eric

Hello Eric

When I connect the DS9490R USB, I can manage my 1-wire network on my synology DS211. I found owfs compiled for it.

I have a 6 ports master hub with serial link. I would like to connect it via RS232-USB adapter to my synology to extend to more networks (star)

But I don't know which command to launch for owfs:

lsusb results:

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port

Thank you

Back