8 Airplane Myths The Movie Industry Made Us Believe

Not airplane related, but the nitroglycerin hoax is still believed by many.

We lose many seniors each year that bite their pills too hard and it blows their heads apart.

I think this started somewhere in the old Clint Eastwood days.

Sent using Tapatalk

LarrylLix said:
Not airplane related, but the nitroglycerin hoax is still believed by many. We lose many seniors each year that bite their pills too hard and it blows their heads apart. I think this started somewhere in the old Clint Eastwood days. Sent using Tapatalk

I hope you're making that up, I'm still laughing.

Geeez. I think I saw that used in over 25-30 movies. IIRC One Clint Eastwood movie (1960ish) had them transporting nitroglycerin in a chuckwagon with thirty elastic bands from the sides, supporting a floating basket in the middle. If they hit a bump too large, while travelling over the rocky ground, it would have cleared off a small town.

Many movies would have a test-tube full,  tossed by the villain, and the hero would dive across the floor, over 20 feet and catch it, before it hit the floor, saving the day for the sweaty browed rest of the cast.

One drop could turn a home into toothpicks if it was dropped.

I still have arguments over the last few years with others, that still  believe it is real.

We have even got an entry in WikiPedia that nobody has successfully disputed. :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitroglycerin

Back